Networking windows XP and 98--help please!

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Denise, Jan 2, 2004.

  1. Denise

    Denise Guest

    I posted a week or two ago about having just gotten a new computer. I'm
    trying to get it to see my old network, and having every problem imaginable.
    I have a cable modem, which feeds into a hub, where all my computers get
    their internet access. All the other computers use Windows 98 and have no
    problems at all accessing each other. But I can not get my XP computer to
    see the 98 computers, nor can the 98 computers see my XP computer. I've run
    the networking wizard on the XP computer, which had me make a floppy and
    install the network thing on the other computers, but that didn't work
    either. I went to the site Miggsee was kind enough to link me to in my
    other thread, but I've already done one of the things it tells me not to do
    (using the floppy on the 98 computers), and disabling the internet
    connection firewall doesn't seem to have helped either. Please, please,
    please, any ideas would be so welcomed!

    Thanks in advance, and if any more info is needed, all you have to do is
    ask.

    Denise, who hopes people aren't getting sick of her newbie-ness.

    PS: I can access the internet just fine from the XP computer--I just can't
    see the other computers on the network. Just to clarify. ;)

    Denise, Jan 2, 2004

  2. Denise

    Unk Guest

    First, you should get a router/gateway like D-Link, Belkin, Netgear,
    Linksys, etc. instead of a hub. You need a minimum of a NAT
    firewall on the WAN side to protect your shared files. It will allow you
    to share the internet connection, and it will negotiate the cable modem
    connection automatically. I've seen D-Links for as little as $30.00.
    (Belkin, Linksys, & Netgear are available at any Staples outlet.)

    Is the XP network name the same as the Win98 machines? (WORKGROUP)
    Have you configured the drives for sharing?

    Here's some networking resources:
    http://www.wown.com/
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/
    http://www.carricksolutions.com/networking.htm
    http://www.performit.co.uk/network/
    http://smallnetbuilder.com/

    Step-by-Step - Networking for Dummies
    http://www.wown.info/j_helmig/guide.htm

    Unk, Jan 2, 2004

  3. Denise

    Denise Guest

    "Unk" wrote:
    > First, you should get a router/gateway like D-Link, Belkin, Netgear,

    Linksys, etc. instead of a hub. You need a minimum of a NAT firewall on the
    WAN side to protect your shared files. It will allow you to share the
    internet connection, and it will negotiate the cable modem connection
    automatically. I've seen D-Links for as little as $30.00. (Belkin, Linksys,
    & Netgear are available at any Staples outlet.)

    I have Zone Alarm installed on all the computers, and internet access isn't
    a problem on any of the computers. Do I really need a router or some such?

    > Is the XP network name the same as the Win98 machines? (WORKGROUP)

    Yeah, I used the default workgroup name, MSHOME.

    > Have you configured the drives for sharing?

    By configuring, do you mean right-clicking and setting the files to be
    shared? If so, then yes, they're configured. Like I say, the 98 machines
    share just fine. I just can't get them to recognize that the XP computer is
    there. They see each other fine, they can share files just fine, they just
    don't see the XP machine *at all*. It's like it doesn't exist. And when I
    open the my network places on the XP computer, the only thing it sees is
    itself.

    > Here's some networking resources:
    > http://www.wown.com/
    > http://www.practicallynetworked.com/
    > http://www.carricksolutions.com/networking.htm
    > http://www.performit.co.uk/network/
    > http://smallnetbuilder.com/
    >
    > Step-by-Step - Networking for Dummies
    > http://www.wown.info/j_helmig/guide.htm

    Thanks, I'll give 'em all a look!

    Denise

    Denise, Jan 2, 2004
  4. Denise

    nemo2 Guest

    Denise,

    Make sure that all the computers have the same workgroup name.

    Regards

    nemo2

    nemo2, Jan 3, 2004
  5. Denise

    Denise Guest

    Re: Networking windows XP and 98--problem solved

    "nemo2" wrote:
    > Denise,
    >
    > Make sure that all the computers have the same workgroup name.

    I did that already, actually, when I ran the network wizard thing (sorry,
    can't remember the proper name of it and got so sick of it I don't want to
    ever look at it again). I *finally* got the problem fixed, sort of by
    accident. I read (I think on one of the links Miggsee was kind enough to
    supply me with) not to conform the rest of my network to the XP computer, to
    make the XP computer conform to my existing network. So that got me
    thinking, and I did a bit of research. Turns out my old network is using
    the NetBeui protocol, which XP doesn't include. I copied the files over
    onto the new computer and voila, we have network access. :-D

    Thanks for all your help everyone!

    Denise

    Denise, Jan 4, 2004