Networking Win98SE & Win XP Pro - can Win 98SE be a DHCP server?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by John S., Aug 1, 2005.

  1. John S.

    John S. Guest

    My desktop computer has Win 98SE. Recently in a fit of
    extravagance I bought an IBM Thinkpad laptop.

    I would like to use the IBM rapid restore facility and keep a
    backup image of the laptop on the desktop, so I can restore the
    laptop from an image in the event of emergency. I would make the
    image after getting the laptop set up the way I want it.

    Problem is, in an emergency, the rapid restore facility would
    need to be invoked by booting from its CD (Windows not running),
    and its operating system doesn't support networking to a fixed IP
    address. Apparently it can only communicate over a network if
    it can talk to something on the other end of the cable which can
    use DHCP to allocate an IP address.

    Just wondering if there is any way I can set up my Win 98 SE
    Desktop computer to behave in this way - hopefully a method which
    doesn't require a PhD to get it working (said with a sigh, after
    spending about 2 hours before finally getting the laptop
    configured to network with the Desktop computer with Windows
    running - using fixed IP addresses for both).

    I've another question too - for normal networking when both
    machines are running their respective Windows. Is there some
    other protocol which Win XP Pro can use for networking with Win
    98 SE (other than TCP/IP)?

    Although I finally got the two machines talking, I can only do
    this if I disable my (admittedly oldish version) of ZoneAlarm
    firewall on the desktop machine. However, I have a second
    Desktop using Win 95, and it happily networks with the Win 98 SE
    desktop using NetBEUI, which doesn't get stopped by the firewall.

    Would be grateful for any answers, or any tips on where I might
    go for the answers.

    Cheers, John S
    John S., Aug 1, 2005

  2. John S.

    PC Guest

    "John S." <> wrote in message
    > My desktop computer has Win 98SE. Recently in a fit of
    > extravagance I bought an IBM Thinkpad laptop.
    >
    > I would like to use the IBM rapid restore facility and keep a
    > backup image of the laptop on the desktop, so I can restore the
    > laptop from an image in the event of emergency. I would make the
    > image after getting the laptop set up the way I want it.
    >
    > Problem is, in an emergency, the rapid restore facility would
    > need to be invoked by booting from its CD (Windows not running),
    > and its operating system doesn't support networking to a fixed IP
    > address. Apparently it can only communicate over a network if
    > it can talk to something on the other end of the cable which can
    > use DHCP to allocate an IP address.
    >
    > Just wondering if there is any way I can set up my Win 98 SE
    > Desktop computer to behave in this way - hopefully a method which
    > doesn't require a PhD to get it working (said with a sigh, after
    > spending about 2 hours before finally getting the laptop
    > configured to network with the Desktop computer with Windows
    > running - using fixed IP addresses for both).
    >
    > I've another question too - for normal networking when both
    > machines are running their respective Windows. Is there some
    > other protocol which Win XP Pro can use for networking with Win
    > 98 SE (other than TCP/IP)?
    >
    > Although I finally got the two machines talking, I can only do
    > this if I disable my (admittedly oldish version) of ZoneAlarm
    > firewall on the desktop machine. However, I have a second
    > Desktop using Win 95, and it happily networks with the Win 98 SE
    > desktop using NetBEUI, which doesn't get stopped by the firewall.
    >
    > Would be grateful for any answers, or any tips on where I might
    > go for the answers.
    >
    > Cheers, John S

    John

    What is your network Hub/Switch/Router ?

    If it's a broadband router it is more than likely there is a DHCP server
    built into it. Just run it's web server and set appropriately.

    If not get the cheapest Ethernet connected ADSL modem you can find and hang
    it off one of your Hub/Switch ports and turn on it's DHCP server.

    Protocol's
    I know TCP/IP can be a pain to set up, but Netbui is not installed by
    default with XP (and it's successors no doubt) IPX/SPX simlarly. TCP/IP has
    become the 'standard' protocol because it is 'routeable' i.e. it will go via
    a route direct to the target. Netbui on the other hand wanders around the
    neighbourhood asking all and sundry until it finds the target. (No an
    accurate analogy but you get the idea)

    Zone Alarm (or any Firewall)
    Frequently causes LAN problems by simply doing it's job, i.e. 'stop
    everything unless permitted'
    What you need to do is to 'allow an IP range' How depends on the 'Firewall'
    If I remember right with Zone Alarm it's 'Firewall' on the left menu, and
    'Zones' on the top tabs, Add, IP Range, and type in what your TCP/IP range
    is e.g. 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.255.
    The numbers you use will depend on what your DHCP server is set to give out.
    For example the DHCP servers in the Dlink ADSL modems that Xtra (NZ) give
    away to new customers are all 10.x.x.x space and give out IP numbers in this
    range.

    Hope this helps

    Paul.
    PC, Aug 1, 2005

  3. John S.

    John S. Guest

    "PC" <> wrote:

    >"John S." <> wrote in message

    >> Problem is, in an emergency, the rapid restore facility would
    >> need to be invoked by booting from its CD (Windows not running),
    >> and its operating system doesn't support networking to a fixed IP
    >> address. Apparently it can only communicate over a network if
    >> it can talk to something on the other end of the cable which can
    >> use DHCP to allocate an IP address.
    >>
    >> Just wondering if there is any way I can set up my Win 98 SE
    >> Desktop computer to behave in this way - hopefully a method which
    >> doesn't require a PhD to get it working (said with a sigh, after
    >> spending about 2 hours before finally getting the laptop
    >> configured to network with the Desktop computer with Windows
    >> running - using fixed IP addresses for both).

    >John
    >
    >What is your network Hub/Switch/Router ?
    >
    >If it's a broadband router it is more than likely there is a DHCP server
    >built into it. Just run it's web server and set appropriately.
    >
    >If not get the cheapest Ethernet connected ADSL modem you can find and hang
    >it off one of your Hub/Switch ports and turn on it's DHCP server.

    Sorry, should have thought more about giving enough information.
    I'm on dial-up.
    My "network" is just a cat5 cable between two machines at a time.
    The cable has a changeover adaptor on one end to swap the
    send/receive pairs.

    >Zone Alarm (or any Firewall)
    >Frequently causes LAN problems by simply doing it's job, i.e. 'stop
    >everything unless permitted'
    >What you need to do is to 'allow an IP range' How depends on the 'Firewall'
    >If I remember right with Zone Alarm it's 'Firewall' on the left menu, and
    >'Zones' on the top tabs, Add, IP Range, and type in what your TCP/IP range
    >is e.g. 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.255.
    >The numbers you use will depend on what your DHCP server is set to give out.
    >For example the DHCP servers in the Dlink ADSL modems that Xtra (NZ) give
    >away to new customers are all 10.x.x.x space and give out IP numbers in this
    >range.

    Thanks! After reading this I went back and poked around in my
    old version of Zonealarm. Found an area where I could nominate
    the IP address of the laptop as a permitted address.

    I gather though, that I won't be able to do anything to the
    desktop (Win 98 SE) machine to enable it to act as a DHCP server?

    Thanks for helping.

    Cheers, John S
    John S., Aug 2, 2005
  4. John S.

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Dave Taylor, Aug 2, 2005
  5. John S.

    John S. Guest

    Re: Networking Win98SE & Win XP Pro - can Win 98SE be a DHCP server? - Solution Found

    (John S.) wrote:

    snip snip

    >I gather though, that I won't be able to do anything to the
    >desktop (Win 98 SE) machine to enable it to act as a DHCP server?
    >
    >Thanks for helping.
    >
    >Cheers, John S

    Just in case anyone is interested in the outcome - I learned the
    solution was within the Windows 98 SE utilities.

    Someone from another group suggested installing Internet
    Connection Sharing on the Win 98 computer, as this allows the
    host to act as a DHCP server to its clients.

    I set this up after being given references to a number of web
    sites. The one which gave me enough info to complete the task
    was:-

    http://www.annoyances.org/win98/features/ics.html

    After going through this procedure I found the laptop could
    access the internet through the host machine's modem, but I still
    couldn't see the shared drive on the host machine over the
    network.

    However this was fixed in Network Neighbourhood properties by
    enabling bindings from

    TCP/IP(home)>ethernet adaptor for:-

    Client for Microsoft Networks, and
    File and Printer sharing.