    3. I tried to map each other drive but couldn't do it

    What am I missing ? I need to share files and printer

    thanks,

    nunu, Jun 2, 2004

  2. nunu

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "nunu" <> wrote in
    news:c9lbeo$:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a laptop and a desktop both running Win2k pro. I'm using
    > Netgear wireless connection. I was successful in getting the Internet
    > connection on both, but not able to share files with each other.
    >
    > Here's what I have done:
    >
    > 1. I created the Workgroup name on each
    > 2. I enabled sharing on C drives of both
    > 3. I set each NIC's TCP/IP to DHCP
    > 3. I tried to map each other drive but couldn't do it
    >
    > What am I missing ? I need to share files and printer
    >
    > thanks,

    It may be due to the WEP or WAP if it's enabled and the use of NetBEUI as
    the protocol. Have you tried disabling the security encryption to see if
    you can make the connection?

    If WEP or WAP is the problem, then you may need to switch to NWlink
    IPX/SPX NetBIOS compatible on all machines, which is a routable protocol.

    If using NetBIOS, you should protect the NetBIOS networking ports on the
    LAN with a host based firewall on all machines. But that's after you get
    the connections to work.

    If that doesn't work, then you can try alt.internet.wireless.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jun 2, 2004

  3. nunu

    Trent© Guest

    On 02 Jun 2004 15:57:12 EDT, "nunu" <> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I have a laptop and a desktop both running Win2k pro. I'm using Netgear
    >wireless connection. I was successful in getting the Internet connection on
    >both, but not able to share files with each other.
    >
    >Here's what I have done:
    >
    >1. I created the Workgroup name on each
    >2. I enabled sharing on C drives of both
    >3. I set each NIC's TCP/IP to DHCP
    >3. I tried to map each other drive but couldn't do it
    >
    >What am I missing ? I need to share files and printer
    >
    >thanks,

    Can you ping each way? Did you disable any firewalls?

    If you can ping, did you set up user accounts on each machine?

    Have a nice week...

    Trent©

    Dyslexics of the world ... UNTIE !

    Trent©, Jun 3, 2004
  4. nunu

    Wiz Guest

    Netbeui has nothing to do with it, and ipx has it's own set of problems.

    I'm not clear if the user has a router or is using adhoc.

    Wiz, Jun 3, 2004
  5. nunu

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Wiz <> wrote in

    > Netbeui has nothing to do with it, and ipx has it's own set of
    > problems.
    >
    > I'm not clear if the user has a router or is using adhoc.

    I think if the person is using Netgear in the sentence, then most likely
    a Netgear router is being talked about. I could be wrong too.

    In addition, if someone is having the issue of not being able to share
    resources between machines in a wireless situation with WEP (have not use
    WAP), then switching to NWlink IPX/SPX NetBIOS certainly does solve the
    issues.

    I have faced that issue on not being able to share resources as Linksys
    was of no help at the time. I have also pointed others in the wireless
    and firewall NG(s) that faced that issue to the NWlink solution.

    I have been using NWlink with the IPX for three years on my wireless
    Linksys BEFW11S4 v1 setup without a *peep* out of it as NetBEUI
    absolutely doesn't work with WEP enabled when trying to share network
    resources.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jun 3, 2004
  6. nunu

    Wiz Guest

    au contrare, netbeui works quite well. I have set up dozens of these and
    allways use Netbeui for local networking and tcp for internet. IPX
    works, as you say very well, but there are many pieces ofv software that
    won't network on it.

    Wiz, Jun 3, 2004
  7. nunu

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Wiz <> wrote in

    > au contrare, netbeui works quite well. I have set up dozens of these
    > and allways use Netbeui for local networking and tcp for internet. IPX
    > works, as you say very well, but there are many pieces ofv software
    > that won't network on it.

    http://www.insightbb.com/external/search.asp?
    q=network+protocol+for+NT+servers&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%
    2Fsearch&btnG.x=38&btnG.y=14

    I have never had any issues with NWlink being implemented in the
    workplace when connecting to Novell servers and in general networking MS
    workstations or Servers and any application doing communications on a
    network -- never.

    That also includes XP PRO and Win 2k machines in the home networking
    environment. I have applications on the machines doing communications on
    the LAN and have never had any issues - never.

    However, I do have problems with NetBEUI and WEP enabled on the wireless
    with wireless and wired machines not being able to sharing resources as
    NetBEUI flat-out doesn't work in that environment.

    The issue has been discussed by me many times in alt.internet.wireless

    People who are looking for the out are very frustrated at that point.
    NWlink works and I am happy with it. And those who have taken the NWlink
    path to resolve their issues have not been back in my face about it
    either.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jun 3, 2004
  8. nunu

    Duane Arnold Guest

  9. nunu

    nunu Guest

    Thank you all for responding, I found what I've been missing, and that is,
    W2k required that computer NAME and WORKGROUP must be in CAPITAL LETERS. Now
    I'm able to share files and printers

    thanks,

    nn

    nunu, Jun 4, 2004
  10. nunu

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "nunu" <> wrote in

    > Thank you all for responding, I found what I've been missing, and that
    > is, W2k required that computer NAME and WORKGROUP must be in CAPITAL
    > LETERS. Now I'm able to share files and printers
    >
    > thanks,
    >
    > nn

    I don't think the computer name being in caps is an issue. I have
    connected computers with names that were mixed case to the network with
    no issues. I have also entered names where the WG names were mixed case
    as well. The WG name must match the WG name assigned to another computer
    in order for it to be in the WG is for sure.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jun 4, 2004