    manual that came with it, even tried a different card. Shows the card is
    working and the loopback shows an IP of 127.0.0.1 so what am I doing wrong?

    Jerry

    Jerry Attic, Sep 22, 2006

  2. Jerry Attic

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-09-22, Jerry Attic <0m> wrote:
    > I got it loaded to a PII 350 mhz junk machine and it runs really nice. I
    > can't get it to pick up an IP address from my router, though. I read the
    > manual that came with it, even tried a different card. Shows the card is
    > working and the loopback shows an IP of 127.0.0.1 so what am I doing wrong?
    >
    > Jerry

    Posting your question to a Ubuntu newsgroup might get the notice of
    someone familiar with that distro.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Sep 22, 2006

  3. Jerry Attic enlightened us 24hoursupport.helpdesk-(ab)users with:

    > I got it loaded to a PII 350 mhz junk machine and it runs really nice.
    > I can't get it to pick up an IP address from my router, though. I read
    > the manual that came with it, even tried a different card. Shows the
    > card is working and the loopback shows an IP of 127.0.0.1 so what am I
    > doing wrong?

    Some times apparently complex problems may have simple causes:
    Make sure your router isn't configured for handing out IPs only to
    distinct registered MACs/network card addresses.
    If so, add the one of your ubuntu box.

    Otherwise, go to a "commandline" on the ubuntu box, do a su (become
    root) and come back with the output of
    "ifconfig -a"
    then do "ifup eth0"
    and then again