networking two pc together with wireless networking ?

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Andy, Feb 24, 2007.

  1. Andy

    Andy Guest

    Hello,

    I need a bit of help here. I have recently got wireless broadband
    (Orange Livebox). My father has his PC downstairs with a Belkin USB
    adapter to get the signal from the livebox. I have my PC upstairs and
    also have a Belkin USB adapter to get the signal from the livebox too.

    My question is, can i link the 2 PC's together using the Belkin USB
    adapters wirelessly ?, i.e. can he have access to my picture files and
    mp3's and can i have access to his ?

    If this is possible then how do i do it ?

    It's Win XP Media Centre

    Kind Regards,
    Andrew

    Andy, Feb 24, 2007

  2. Hi
    If the two PCs can use the Internet at the same time, then your Orange
    Livebox is probably a Wireless Router too, and you can Share files between
    the two PCs by setting File Sharing on both computers.
    http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
    to be shared.
    Basic XP -
    Advanced XP -
    Vista - http://www.microsoft.com/technet/network/evaluate/vista_fp.mspx
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Feb 24, 2007

  3. Andy

    Andy Guest

    Many thanks Jack, that helps a great deal. I have managed to file share
    now.

    One further question is, am i right in assuming that (for example) my
    next door neighbour cannot see the files in my "Shared Files" folder ?.
    My Orange Livebox is encrypted at TKIP level ?. You see i only want the
    2 PC's we have in our house to share their files (both PC's in our house
    share the same wireless broadband router, and are encrypted to TKIP
    level).

    Many Thanks
    Andrew

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\).:
    > Hi
    > If the two PCs can use the Internet at the same time, then your Orange

    > Livebox is probably a Wireless Router too, and you can Share files

    between
    > the two PCs by setting File Sharing on both computers.

    settings,
    > http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
    > As well as specific adjustment of each computer according to what is

    allowed

    Andy, Feb 24, 2007
  4. Hi
    First read this, http://www.ezlan.net/faq.html#signal
    If your Wireless is encrypted your are fairly secured.
    More about Wireless security here, Wireless Security -
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Feb 25, 2007
  5. Andy

    Andy Guest

    Thanks Jack, as usual that helped a great deal !

    Regards,
    Andrew

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\).:
    > Hi
    > First read this, http://www.ezlan.net/faq.html#signal
    > If your Wireless is encrypted your are fairly secured.
    > More about Wireless security here, Wireless Security -
    > http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "Andy" <> wrote in message
    >> Many thanks Jack, that helps a great deal. I have managed to file

    share
    >> now.
    >>
    >> One further question is, am i right in assuming that (for example)

    my
    >> next door neighbour cannot see the files in my "Shared Files" folder

    ?.

    Andy, Feb 26, 2007