    Thanks if you can assist.
    --
    Richard

    Richard, Dec 30, 2005

  2. The cannot be networked, Microsoft did a little house cleaning with the
    release of Windows x64, they removed some protocols such as Apple Talk and
    Netbeui.
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

    Andre Da Costa, Dec 30, 2005

  3. Richard

    Richard Guest

    In his posting of Fri, 30 Dec 2005, Andre Da Costa writes
    >The cannot be networked, Microsoft did a little house cleaning with the
    >release of Windows x64, they removed some protocols such as Apple Talk and
    >Netbeui.
    >--

    Thanks for that insight, that is bizarre!

    Cheers

    Richard
    --
    Richard

    Richard, Dec 30, 2005
  4. Andre Da Costa wrote:

    >The cannot be networked, Microsoft did a little house cleaning with the
    >release of Windows x64, they removed some protocols such as Apple Talk and
    >Netbeui.

    According to the MacLAN website, the Windows PC only needs TCP/IP, which
    x64 has.

    --
    Steve Foster [SBS MVP]
    ---------------------------------------

    Steve Foster [SBS MVP], Dec 30, 2005
  5. Richard wrote:

    >How can I use Xp64 and connect to Macs running OS 9.2 please. This is a
    >dual boot machine with XP Pro 32 and my present work around is to boot
    >into 32 then use Maclan to network to the Macs. Just want a more
    >efficient way of working.
    >
    >Thanks if you can assist.

    You could use Dave on the Mac side, which makes the Macs capable of
    talking "windows networking", rather than as with MacLan, making the PC
    talk "Mac networking".

    Or you could go TCP/IP only, and set up a web server or an FTP server on
    one or other of the machines (doesn't matter which, HTTP/FTP are platform
    agnostic protocols), and use HTTP/FTP to transfer files between the
    machines.

    --
    Steve Foster [SBS MVP]
    ---------------------------------------

    Steve Foster [SBS MVP], Dec 30, 2005
  6. I thought he might have wanted something more, out of the box. ;-)

    Andre Da Costa, Dec 30, 2005
  7. Richard

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 13:38:29 +0000, Richard <> wrote:

    >How can I use Xp64 and connect to Macs running OS 9.2 please. This is a
    >dual boot machine with XP Pro 32 and my present work around is to boot
    >into 32 then use Maclan to network to the Macs. Just want a more
    >efficient way of working.

    I think your most efficient way would be updating your Mac's to OS-X, as
    that version integrates quite well in the Windows-world. You can mount
    disks as access them via the network, just like on a Windows-PC (I think
    that is called SMB).

    jud

    Jud Hendrix, Dec 30, 2005
  8. Andre Da Costa wrote:

    >I thought he might have wanted something more, out of the box. ;-)

    Well, OOB, neither would directly talk to the other. Additional
    configuration work is always required. I think both have the necessary
    options natively available for installation to at least support HTTP/FTP
    sharing.

    --
    Steve Foster [SBS MVP]
    ---------------------------------------

    Steve Foster [SBS MVP], Dec 30, 2005
  9. That would have been my plan B also since OS X supports Windows
    Authentication out of the box networking with Windows XP.

    Andre Da Costa, Dec 30, 2005
  10. Richard

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 08:37:40 -0800, "Andre Da Costa" <>
    wrote:

    >That would have been my plan B also since OS X supports Windows
    >Authentication out of the box networking with Windows XP.

    Warning though if the OP would plan to do so, as the latest versions don't
    support MacOS-9 applications anymore.
    At a former employer, we used to hook-up OS-X's in an Ethernet with Windows
    2000 and Windows NT 4, to exchange media. And that worked, but sometimes
    the connection had problems, and transferring data took ages. That might
    have been related to the Mac's though, as every new patch had updates for
    TCP/IP and other networking.

    jud

    Jud Hendrix, Dec 30, 2005
  11. Richard

    Richard Guest

    In his posting of Fri, 30 Dec 2005, Jud Hendrix writes
    >On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 13:38:29 +0000, Richard <> wrote:
    >
    >>How can I use Xp64 and connect to Macs running OS 9.2 please. This is a
    >>dual boot machine with XP Pro 32 and my present work around is to boot
    >>into 32 then use Maclan to network to the Macs. Just want a more
    >>efficient way of working.

    >I think your most efficient way would be updating your Mac's to OS-X, as
    >that version integrates quite well in the Windows-world. You can mount
    >disks as access them via the network, just like on a Windows-PC (I think
    >that is called SMB).
    >
    >jud

    Dear Jud

    Thanks for the thought, however I should explain that the Macs are used
    to do a particular job and the software has not been and will not be
    developed beyond 9.2. Running them in OSX is therefore not an option,
    apart from which they are 450Mhtz G4's though they have over 1G ram
    each.

    Cheers
    --
    Richard

    Richard, Dec 30, 2005
  12. Richard

    Richard Guest

    In his posting of Fri, 30 Dec 2005, Andre Da Costa writes
    >That would have been my plan B also since OS X supports Windows
    >Authentication out of the box networking with Windows XP.
    >--

    Dear Andre

    Thanks for your contributions. One way around this would be to have
    one of the 2K boxes pick up the files from the Macs via Maclan, then
    simply draw them across from the XP64 box. I find that the transfer of
    files is very much faster between the PC's over the network than it is
    from the Macs to the PC's, but that's a different kind of question<G>
    --
    Richard

    Richard, Dec 30, 2005
  13. Richard

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 17:35:53 +0000, Richard <> wrote:

    >Thanks for the thought, however I should explain that the Macs are used
    >to do a particular job and the software has not been and will not be
    >developed beyond 9.2.

    I figured that already. People running still 9.2 at the moment, usually do
    this for a very good reason :)

    >Running them in OSX is therefore not an option,
    >apart from which they are 450Mhtz G4's though they have over 1G ram
    >each.

    I managed to get XP running on a Pentium II, 350MHz, 64MB. It's a tad slow
    though, but worked :) (now that machine is dead).

    Yeah, looks like your option with the intermediatw 2k-box is your best one
    at the moment.

    jud

    Jud Hendrix, Dec 30, 2005
  14. They support it through Classic though which basically Apples emulation
    layer running on top of X for legacy applications.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Dec 30, 2005
  15. Richard

    Mike M Guest

    I don't know if GroupLogic makes a 64 bit version of their AFP over TCP/IP
    software, ExtremeZ-IP. Heck, the 32 bit version may run just fine on the
    64bit version of Windows, I just don't know for sure. I've been using it on
    Windows servers since 2000. The built-in Mac SFM is iffy at best. I'm not
    a paid spokesman, just a happy customer. :)

    Just my $.02

    Mike M, Dec 31, 2005
  16. Richard

    Richard Guest

    In his posting of Fri, 30 Dec 2005, Mike M writes
    >I don't know if GroupLogic makes a 64 bit version of their AFP over TCP/IP
    >software, ExtremeZ-IP. Heck, the 32 bit version may run just fine on the
    >64bit version of Windows, I just don't know for sure. I've been using it on
    >Windows servers since 2000. The built-in Mac SFM is iffy at best. I'm not
    >a paid spokesman, just a happy customer. :)
    >
    >Just my $.02

    Dear Mike

    Many thanks for that. I'm downloading the trial software right now and
    will see how it does. Will report back on list later.

    Cheers

    Richard

    --
    Richard

    Richard, Dec 31, 2005
  17. Richard

    Randy Guest

    Yeah, except for those of us limited to Mac OS9 and below due to hardware
    limits...

    Randy, Dec 31, 2005
  18. Richard

    Randy Guest

    Steve,

    I believe that was assuming the Mac end is running Mac OSX and higher...
    with pre-unix versions, you're still stuck with Apple's native protocols or
    a third-party solution such as D.A.V.E. (if I remembered that name
    correctly. ;~)

    Randy, Dec 31, 2005
  19. If its a 32-bit driver, it will not work, Device Drivers for x64 must be
    64-bit.

    Andre Da Costa, Dec 31, 2005
  20. Randy wrote:

    >Steve,
    >
    >I believe that was assuming the Mac end is running Mac OSX and higher...
    >with pre-unix versions, you're still stuck with Apple's native protocols or
    >a third-party solution such as D.A.V.E. (if I remembered that name
    >correctly. ;~)

    There's nothing on the MacLan site to indicate this. It states the
    requirements as:

    * PC with TCP/IP
    * Mac OS 7 or later with AppleTalk

    I get the impression that MacLan implements AppleTalk for itself.

    --
    Steve Foster [SBS MVP]

    Steve Foster [SBS MVP], Dec 31, 2005