    Sorry, I've got the XP networking down pat, but the Mac is new to us.
    My daughter uses it for work and can make the machine sing and dance but
    is a user in the truest sense.

    Big_Al, Dec 20, 2008

  2. Big_Al

    Alister Guest

    On Dec 20, 9:30 pm, Big_Al <> wrote:
    > I'm connected to my wireless network fine with my laptop, I can see
    > other PC's and share my desktop.   Win XP pro, home, and Media Edition.
    >   (3 PC's).
    >
    > We want to add a MacBook Pro to this system.    The Mac connects to the
    > router and internet wirelessly fine.   And we found the setting for
    > joining the workgroup too.   But we just can't see the Mac anywhere and
    > the Mac can't see us.    We must be missing something simple.   I even
    > added Netbios to my TCP/IP on one windows machine but no go.
    >
    > Sorry, I've got the XP networking down pat, but the Mac is new to us.
    > My daughter uses it for work and can make the machine sing and dance but
    >   is a user in the truest sense.

    Have a look at this:

    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=54704

    Alister

    Alister, Dec 21, 2008

  3. Big_Al

    Big_Al Guest

    Alister said this on 12/20/2008 7:02 PM:
    > On Dec 20, 9:30 pm, Big_Al <> wrote:
    >> I'm connected to my wireless network fine with my laptop, I can see
    >> other PC's and share my desktop. Win XP pro, home, and Media Edition.
    >> (3 PC's).
    >>
    >> We want to add a MacBook Pro to this system. The Mac connects to the
    >> router and internet wirelessly fine. And we found the setting for
    >> joining the workgroup too. But we just can't see the Mac anywhere and
    >> the Mac can't see us. We must be missing something simple. I even
    >> added Netbios to my TCP/IP on one windows machine but no go.
    >>
    >> Sorry, I've got the XP networking down pat, but the Mac is new to us.
    >> My daughter uses it for work and can make the machine sing and dance but
    >> is a user in the truest sense.

    > Have a look at this:
    >
    > http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=54704
    >
    > Alister

    Thanks. We got it working.

    Big_Al, Dec 21, 2008
  4. Hi
    Maybe this can Help.
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.5/en/8201.html
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.5/en/8203.html
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Dec 21, 2008
  5. Big_Al

    Big_Al Guest

    Jack (MVP-Networking). said this on 12/21/2008 2:42 PM:
    > Hi
    > Maybe this can Help.
    > http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.5/en/8201.html
    > http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.5/en/8203.html
    > Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
    >
    > "Big_Al" <> wrote in message
    >> I'm connected to my wireless network fine with my laptop, I can see
    >> other PC's and share my desktop. Win XP pro, home, and Media
    >> Edition. (3 PC's).
    >>
    >> We want to add a MacBook Pro to this system. The Mac connects to
    >> the router and internet wirelessly fine. And we found the setting
    >> for joining the workgroup too. But we just can't see the Mac
    >> anywhere and the Mac can't see us. We must be missing something
    >> simple. I even added Netbios to my TCP/IP on one windows machine but
    >> no go.
    >>
    >> Sorry, I've got the XP networking down pat, but the Mac is new to us.
    >> My daughter uses it for work and can make the machine sing and dance
    >> but is a user in the truest sense.

    All the links and help have done some good.
    We've got the mac accessing the PC. So far so good. The mac seems
    to be using Samba? to access the windows. smb://pcname then browse
    the pc for shares. It was not the hard to get working.

    We just can't get XP to see the Mac. I'm trying to find it in the
    network places but its not there. We've tried \\192.168.x.x\username
    as was suggested by one website. I've been told to use smb:\\
    something but for the life of us we get nothing.

    Well the weekend is over and the Mac goes to the office where there is a
    crew IT people to solve the problem (probably in 5 minutes), so I thank
    everyone for their help. Getting a connection in one direction was
    good enough to move the 25 gigs of photos and music without burning DVDs
    all night, or getting out the USB drive.

    Big_Al, Dec 22, 2008
  6. Hi
    Good that the Office can resolve it for you coz I am not a MAC guy. ;)
    In any case take a look at the Win Firewall might be that it is blocking the
    Samba Ports out.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Dec 22, 2008
  7. Big_Al

    Big_Al Guest

    Jack (MVP-Networking). said this on 12/21/2008 11:16 PM:
    > Hi
    > Good that the Office can resolve it for you coz I am not a MAC guy. ;)
    > In any case take a look at the Win Firewall might be that it is blocking
    > the Samba Ports out.
    > Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
    >
    > "Big_Al" <> wrote in message
    >> Jack (MVP-Networking). said this on 12/21/2008 2:42 PM:
    >>> Hi
    >>> Maybe this can Help.
    >>> http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.5/en/8201.html
    >>> http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.5/en/8203.html
    >>> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
    >>>
    >>> "Big_Al" <> wrote in message

    >> All the links and help have done some good.
    >> We've got the mac accessing the PC. So far so good. The mac seems
    >> to be using Samba? to access the windows. smb://pcname then
    >> browse the pc for shares. It was not the hard to get working.
    >>
    >> We just can't get XP to see the Mac. I'm trying to find it in the
    >> network places but its not there. We've tried
    >> \\192.168.x.x\username as was suggested by one website. I've been
    >> told to use smb:\\ something but for the life of us we get nothing.
    >>
    >> Well the weekend is over and the Mac goes to the office where there is
    >> a crew IT people to solve the problem (probably in 5 minutes), so I
    >> thank everyone for their help. Getting a connection in one
    >> direction was good enough to move the 25 gigs of photos and music
    >> without burning DVDs all night, or getting out the USB drive.

    Even if we don't get it any further, one way is still good enough. Its
    an all MAC office so I'm not sure how much Windows experience they have,
    but this can't be the first person in a 80 man office that has tried
    bringing an XP machine in and wanted to connect. So there's hope.
    Thanks for all the help.

    Big_Al, Dec 22, 2008