Networking / SQL Server 2005 / Administration Advice Please

Discussion in 'Microsoft Certification' started by =?Utf-8?B?RGVybW90?=, Jan 26, 2007.

  1. This may be too much to ask but I would appreciate some constructive advise
    to achieve my goal in as short a period as possible?

    I have worked in electronic engineering for about 29 years.
    I have a reasonable computer knowledge.
    No certifications in computing.

    I work in an office.
    There are about 25 computers running Windows XP Pro
    The computers are all networked together.
    Several shared printers (say between groups of 4 computers).
    The network is connected to a server running MS Server 2005.
    All computers have internet connections.
    Remote Desktop features are configured, for remote connection either way.
    Outlook is configured on all computers for email etc.
    Security:- Anti-Virus and Firewalls configured.

    I want to learn how to Maintain the Network / Security ( system and
    Internet) and Manage the Administration of this system.

    Questions
    1. Can anyone give me some guide lines to all the subjects I would need to
    study to achieve my goal............. in some sort of logical learning
    progression?

    2. A realistic learning period to cover all topics to a competent level?

    3. Any useful Links for me a beginner would be appreciated.

    Thanks In advance

    =?Utf-8?B?RGVybW90?=, Jan 26, 2007

  2. Is there really no one out there that can give me some help with this?

    =?Utf-8?B?RGVybW90?=, Jan 30, 2007

  3. Last plea for help.
    I am only asking for general guide line regarding where to start?
    I thought The General Learning forum would be the correct place for this
    posting.
    The above description is hypothetical.....I was hoping for some "practical"
    advice.
    Disappointed...well...a little!!!

    =?Utf-8?B?RGVybW90?=, Feb 1, 2007
  4. Dermot wrote:
    > This may be too much to ask but I would appreciate some constructive advise
    > to achieve my goal in as short a period as possible?
    >
    > I have worked in electronic engineering for about 29 years.
    > I have a reasonable computer knowledge.
    > No certifications in computing.
    >
    > I work in an office.
    > There are about 25 computers running Windows XP Pro
    > The computers are all networked together.
    > Several shared printers (say between groups of 4 computers).
    > The network is connected to a server running MS Server 2005.
    > All computers have internet connections.
    > Remote Desktop features are configured, for remote connection either way.
    > Outlook is configured on all computers for email etc.
    > Security:- Anti-Virus and Firewalls configured.
    >
    > I want to learn how to Maintain the Network / Security ( system and
    > Internet) and Manage the Administration of this system.
    >
    > Questions
    > 1. Can anyone give me some guide lines to all the subjects I would need to
    > study to achieve my goal............. in some sort of logical learning
    > progression?
    >
    > 2. A realistic learning period to cover all topics to a competent level?
    >
    > 3. Any useful Links for me a beginner would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks In advance

    Dermot,

    You might do well to prepare for (and possibly take) some MCP exams. I
    would recommend 70-270 and then 70-290. You might also check into
    70-271 and 70-272.

    Good luck,

    Jonathan

    --
    "What a funny reply, but Professional qualities are not measured by
    turban or sombrero but with work, expereince, Qualifications. "

    Jonathan Roberts, Feb 1, 2007
  5. Johnathan,
    Thankyou very much for the reply.
    Much appreciated, I will check thse out.
    Dermot

    =?Utf-8?B?RGVybW90?=, Feb 1, 2007