    modem, printer, etc.

    What type of network card do I need and what type of cable to use?

    Thank you.
    al, Oct 22, 2003

  2. al

    Andrew Guest

    If you are only looking at doing two computers

    all you need is 2 cheap network cards - about $20 each
    and one length of Crossover cable, However long you need it to go between
    the two computers, Make sure its Crossover rather then normal.

    Crossover cables are used when you hook just Two computers together, If you
    were to go for anymore, You would need a hub/switch + normal networking
    cable

    Andrew, Oct 22, 2003

  3. al

    al Guest

    On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 19:37:20 +1300, "Andrew" <>
    wrote:

    >If you are only looking at doing two computers
    >
    >all you need is 2 cheap network cards - about $20 each
    >and one length of Crossover cable, However long you need it to go between
    >the two computers, Make sure its Crossover rather then normal.
    >
    >Crossover cables are used when you hook just Two computers together, If you
    >were to go for anymore, You would need a hub/switch + normal networking
    >cable

    Ah! That clears it up a bit...was getting overwhelmed with all the
    types 10/100, 10-Base T, etc....

    Thank you.
    al, Oct 22, 2003
  4. al

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm planning to network two PCs together so that they can share the
    > modem, printer, etc.
    >
    > What type of network card do I need and what type of cable to use?

    If it's Windows you can do a couple of 10BaseT cards with Cat5 cable with
    a crossover adapter quite cheaply, using NetBeui.
    Mainlander, Oct 22, 2003
  5. al

    RdM Guest

    :
    : all you need is 2 cheap network cards - about $20 each
    : and one length of Crossover cable, However long you need it to go between
    : the two computers, Make sure its Crossover rather then normal.
    :
    : Crossover cables are used when you hook just Two computers together, If you
    : were to go for anymore, You would need a hub/switch + normal networking
    : cable

    Unless you're an old cheapskate like me using old free network cards
    with BNC sockets linking two or more at whim with 50 ohm coax cables
    (some home-made) and terminators; no hub or crossover cable in sight!

    :)=})

    [Except when a friend & laptop visits - some of the cards are both
    BNC/RJ145, running on Auto, and Netbui - &10MB seems slow, finally]

    Then he uses a crossover to hook up to one only, as above.

    (Must move to TCP/IP, try out Freesco or similiar on an old PC, etc.)
    (Maybe even buy some new faster cards one day; they're so cheap now!)

    RdM
    [Broke:- ]

    <and let's not forget that "al" will still have to set up networking>

    : "al" <> wrote in message
    : news:...
    : >
    : > Hi,
    : >
    RdM, Oct 22, 2003
  6. al

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <cRAlb.187142$>, howhard1309
    @hotmail.com says...
    > Mainlander wrote:
    > > In article <>,
    > > says...
    > >>
    > >> Hi,
    > >>
    > >> I'm planning to network two PCs together so that they can share the
    > >> modem, printer, etc.
    > >>
    > >> What type of network card do I need and what type of cable to use?

    > > If it's Windows you can do a couple of 10BaseT cards with Cat5 cable
    > > with a crossover adapter quite cheaply, using NetBeui.

    > Make that 100BaseT - 10x faster and still only $20 per card.

    100BaseTX
    Mainlander, Oct 23, 2003
  7. al

    Gordon Guest

    On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 01:20:57 +1300, Mainlander wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >>
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I'm planning to network two PCs together so that they can share the
    >> modem, printer, etc.
    >>
    >> What type of network card do I need and what type of cable to use?

    > If it's Windows you can do a couple of 10BaseT cards with Cat5 cable with
    > a crossover adapter quite cheaply, using NetBeui.

    The Penguin has just pointed out that computers are networked and the OS
    has very little to do with it.

    Gordon, Oct 23, 2003
  8. al

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 01:20:57 +1300, Mainlander wrote:
    >
    > > In article <>,
    > > says...
    > >>
    > >> Hi,
    > >>
    > >> I'm planning to network two PCs together so that they can share the
    > >> modem, printer, etc.
    > >>
    > >> What type of network card do I need and what type of cable to use?

    > > If it's Windows you can do a couple of 10BaseT cards with Cat5 cable with
    > > a crossover adapter quite cheaply, using NetBeui.

    > The Penguin has just pointed out that computers are networked and the OS
    > has very little to do with it.

    Linux supports Netbeui?
    Mainlander, Oct 23, 2003
  9. al