    which they no longer have access?

    Thanks,
    Harvey

    Harvey Gratt, Jul 27, 2006

  2. Harvey Gratt

    why? Guest

    On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 16:04:36 GMT, Harvey Gratt wrote:

    >I have a small home/office network. On occasion, I will have connected
    >to a remote server or will have a laptop connected which was connected
    >to a network at a another location.

    Netswitcher, will help with some of that. Note due to a Windows security
    feature moving a PC across different domain, requires the user account
    to have the correct rights.

    http://www.netswitcher.com/

    >The problem I have is that various programs (i.e., Word) will spend time
    >hunting for the network that they are no longer connected to before
    >continue their function (i.e., select a printer).

    Add a Generic/Text or other printer as the default.

    >Is there a way to let the computers know to not hunt for a network to
    >which they no longer have access?

    Hmmm... should be however as all our remote users always connect back to
    the office and the software doesn't allow access to home networks, not
    an issue we usually have :)

    >Thanks,
    >Harvey

    Me

    why?, Jul 27, 2006

  3. why? wrote:
    > On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 16:04:36 GMT, Harvey Gratt wrote:
    >
    >> I have a small home/office network. On occasion, I will have
    >> connected to a remote server or will have a laptop connected which
    >> was connected to a network at a another location.

    > Netswitcher, will help with some of that. Note due to a Windows
    > security feature moving a PC across different domain, requires the
    > user account to have the correct rights.
    >
    > http://www.netswitcher.com/
    >
    >> The problem I have is that various programs (i.e., Word) will spend
    >> time hunting for the network that they are no longer connected to
    >> before continue their function (i.e., select a printer).

    > Add a Generic/Text or other printer as the default.
    >
    >> Is there a way to let the computers know to not hunt for a network to
    >> which they no longer have access?

    > Hmmm... should be however as all our remote users always connect back
    > to the office and the software doesn't allow access to home networks,
    > not an issue we usually have :)
    >
    >> Thanks,
    >> Harvey

    > Me

    There may be a utility you can use to set up different profiles for your
    different connection settings. I havn't checked out the web site for
    netswitcher yet. I have never heard of it as a matter of fact. But maybe
    that will help.

    Some laptops come with a utility that will help you to set up different
    network profiles. I would explore your own laptops utilities and see what
    they provide. (If anything)

    Maybe Windows can do this somehow? I'm not sure I never had a need to
    switch networks like you have. I like my wireless network because I can use
    it anywhere in the house and even out on my porch. :)

    Randall Smith, Jul 30, 2006
  4. Harvey Gratt

    why? Guest

    On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 04:28:53 GMT, Randall Smith wrote:

    As Harvey Gratt is disguise?

    Otherwise why guess about a config switcher then repeat what I already
    said to me, and not to the OP?

    Not for getting the problem with bottom posting, replying to several
    points, away from those points.

    >why? wrote:
    >> On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 16:04:36 GMT, Harvey Gratt wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have a small home/office network. On occasion, I will have
    >>> connected to a remote server or will have a laptop connected which
    >>> was connected to a network at a another location.

    >> Netswitcher, will help with some of that. Note due to a Windows
    >> security feature moving a PC across different domain, requires the
    >> user account to have the correct rights.
    >>
    >> http://www.netswitcher.com/
    >>
    >>> The problem I have is that various programs (i.e., Word) will spend
    >>> time hunting for the network that they are no longer connected to
    >>> before continue their function (i.e., select a printer).

    >> Add a Generic/Text or other printer as the default.
    >>
    >>> Is there a way to let the computers know to not hunt for a network to
    >>> which they no longer have access?

    >> Hmmm... should be however as all our remote users always connect back
    >> to the office and the software doesn't allow access to home networks,
    >> not an issue we usually have :)
    >>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Harvey

    >> Me

    >There may be a utility you can use to set up different profiles for your

    Didn't I just mention there is such a utility?

    >different connection settings. I havn't checked out the web site for
    >netswitcher yet. I have never heard of it as a matter of fact. But maybe

    Why would you need to check the site out? So what if you haven't heard
    of it.

    >that will help.
    >
    >Some laptops come with a utility that will help you to set up different
    >network profiles. I would explore your own laptops utilities and see what
    >they provide. (If anything)

    Like LAN Connection 1 , 2, 3 and wireless, that's fine for the hardware,
    it does nothing for different networks, domains / accounts unless you
    setup hardware profiles, rememeber to join the correct domain or static
    / dhcp addressing.

    >Maybe Windows can do this somehow? I'm not sure I never had a need to
    >switch networks like you have. I like my wireless network because I can use

    I have had to switch networks, hence the - go and use netswitcher. So
    your advice is then instead of using a utility designed for the task the
    OP requested, is do something else that may or may not be supplied with
    a laptop.

    >it anywhere in the house and even out on my porch. :)

    What's that's got to do with anything, the OP want's to switch networks
    and you don't

    Me

    why?, Jul 30, 2006
  5. Harvey Gratt

    Harvey Gratt Guest

    why? wrote:
    > On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 04:28:53 GMT, Randall Smith wrote:
    >
    > As Harvey Gratt is disguise?
    >
    > Otherwise why guess about a config switcher then repeat what I already
    > said to me, and not to the OP?
    >
    > Not for getting the problem with bottom posting, replying to several
    > points, away from those points.
    >
    >> why? wrote:

    >>> Netswitcher, will help with some of that. Note due to a Windows
    >>> security feature moving a PC across different domain, requires the
    >>> user account to have the correct rights.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.netswitcher.com/

    >>> Add a Generic/Text or other printer as the default.

    >>> Hmmm... should be however as all our remote users always connect back
    >>> to the office and the software doesn't allow access to home networks,
    >>> not an issue we usually have :)

    >>> Me

    >> There may be a utility you can use to set up different profiles for your

    > Didn't I just mention there is such a utility?
    >
    >> different connection settings. I havn't checked out the web site for
    >> netswitcher yet. I have never heard of it as a matter of fact. But maybe

    > Why would you need to check the site out? So what if you haven't heard
    > of it.
    >
    >> that will help.
    >>
    >> Some laptops come with a utility that will help you to set up different
    >> network profiles. I would explore your own laptops utilities and see what
    >> they provide. (If anything)

    > Like LAN Connection 1 , 2, 3 and wireless, that's fine for the hardware,
    > it does nothing for different networks, domains / accounts unless you
    > setup hardware profiles, rememeber to join the correct domain or static
    > / dhcp addressing.
    >
    >> Maybe Windows can do this somehow? I'm not sure I never had a need to
    >> switch networks like you have. I like my wireless network because I can use

    > I have had to switch networks, hence the - go and use netswitcher. So
    > your advice is then instead of using a utility designed for the task the
    > OP requested, is do something else that may or may not be supplied with
    > a laptop.
    >
    >> it anywhere in the house and even out on my porch. :)

    > What's that's got to do with anything, the OP want's to switch networks
    > and you don't
    >
    > Me

    Let me try to further clarify my situation. My wife has a laptop at work
    which is connected to a network (win xp pro domain). When she brings it
    home, we connect it to my home network (not a domain).

    However, when certain functions at home are performed (i.e, trying to
    print), the laptop will hunt for the other networks printers first. This
    can take up to 30 seconds each time. I would like an easy way to stop
    this behavior and have the laptop "recognize" that it's only connected
    to my network.

    If I understand your advice correctly, software exists which allows one
    to set up a profile in which the hardware associated with a specific
    network can be delineated. This would work fine, but I was hoping for a
    simple (from within win xp pro) solution. To make matters worse, the
    laptop in question is "locked down" and there is no way to install any
    software.

    Thanks for your comments and information - it looks like this is a more
    complicated issue than I first thought.

    Harvey

    Harvey Gratt, Jul 30, 2006
  6. Harvey Gratt

    Duane Arnold Guest

    > To make matters worse, the
    > laptop in question is "locked down" and there is no way to install any
    > software.

    That's the kicker for you. The machine is locked down and it takes a
    account with Admin rights on the machine to install or configure
    anything with the O/S.

    If you were able to get the machine to solely recognize your network,
    that would mean that you changed the O/S to use a Workgroup and not a
    Domain. That means a Tech Support person at work would have to change
    the O/S back to so that it could join the Domain again at work, which
    takes someone with Admin rights on the Domain to do that.

    Don't you think that they would tired of the phone call real fast?
    That's why the machine is locked down to protect them self from people
    that want to make changes to the O/S, once it leaves work.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jul 30, 2006
  7. "why?" <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in message

    > On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 04:28:53 GMT, Randall Smith wrote:
    >
    > As Harvey Gratt is disguise?
    >
    > Otherwise why guess about a config switcher then repeat what I already
    > said to me, and not to the OP?
    >
    > Not for getting the problem with bottom posting, replying to several
    > points, away from those points.
    >
    >>why? wrote:

    >>> Netswitcher, will help with some of that. Note due to a Windows
    >>> security feature moving a PC across different domain, requires the
    >>> user account to have the correct rights.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.netswitcher.com/

    >>> Add a Generic/Text or other printer as the default.

    >>> Hmmm... should be however as all our remote users always connect back
    >>> to the office and the software doesn't allow access to home networks,
    >>> not an issue we usually have :)

    >>> Me

    >>There may be a utility you can use to set up different profiles for your

    > Didn't I just mention there is such a utility?

    Yes.

    >>different connection settings. I havn't checked out the web site for
    >>netswitcher yet. I have never heard of it as a matter of fact. But maybe

    > Why would you need to check the site out? So what if you haven't heard
    > of it.

    Because, I like to know about things and how they work. Maybe I will be
    able to help out one of my clients who has a similar situation.

    >>that will help.
    >>
    >>Some laptops come with a utility that will help you to set up different
    >>network profiles. I would explore your own laptops utilities and see
    >>what
    >>they provide. (If anything)

    > Like LAN Connection 1 , 2, 3 and wireless, that's fine for the hardware,
    > it does nothing for different networks, domains / accounts unless you
    > setup hardware profiles, rememeber to join the correct domain or static
    > / dhcp addressing.
    >
    >>Maybe Windows can do this somehow? I'm not sure I never had a need to
    >>switch networks like you have. I like my wireless network because I can
    >>use

    > I have had to switch networks, hence the - go and use netswitcher. So
    > your advice is then instead of using a utility designed for the task the
    > OP requested, is do something else that may or may not be supplied with
    > a laptop.

    Exactly, maybe he could save a few bucks and/or disk space and use what he
    may already have.

    >>it anywhere in the house and even out on my porch. :)

    > What's that's got to do with anything, the OP want's to switch networks
    > and you don't

    Nothing really. I do tend to get side-tracked from the original topic.
    Can't help it, that's just my nature.

    As for what does that have to do with the OP? My laptop is not the only one
    I know of. Maybe I should have been more clear on that?

    My father, who visits many different locations (network setups) has a
    laptop. So, I had to help him set it up. He uses the "Atheros Network
    Manager" that came with his Laptop. He has an Atheros wireless chipset in
    it.

    http://www.atheros.com/

    Randall Smith, Jul 30, 2006
  8. Harvey Gratt

    why? Guest

    On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 15:18:18 GMT, Harvey Gratt wrote:

    >why? wrote:
    >> On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 04:28:53 GMT, Randall Smith wrote:
    >>
    >> As Harvey Gratt is disguise?
    >>
    >> Otherwise why guess about a config switcher then repeat what I already
    >> said to me, and not to the OP?
    >>
    >> Not for getting the problem with bottom posting, replying to several
    >> points, away from those points.

    <snip>

    >>> There may be a utility you can use to set up different profiles for your

    >> Didn't I just mention there is such a utility?
    >>
    >>> different connection settings. I havn't checked out the web site for
    >>> netswitcher yet. I have never heard of it as a matter of fact. But maybe

    >> Why would you need to check the site out? So what if you haven't heard
    >> of it.
    >>
    >>> that will help.
    >>>
    >>> Some laptops come with a utility that will help you to set up different
    >>> network profiles. I would explore your own laptops utilities and see what
    >>> they provide. (If anything)

    <snip>

    >> Me

    >Let me try to further clarify my situation. My wife has a laptop at work
    >which is connected to a network (win xp pro domain). When she brings it
    >home, we connect it to my home network (not a domain).

    No need to repeat.

    >However, when certain functions at home are performed (i.e, trying to
    >print), the laptop will hunt for the other networks printers first. This

    Netswitcher IIRC, deals with that as well, as I don't need non domain
    printing I haven't used that feature.

    >can take up to 30 seconds each time. I would like an easy way to stop
    >this behavior and have the laptop "recognize" that it's only connected
    >to my network.

    As you said the 1st time.

    >If I understand your advice correctly, software exists which allows one
    >to set up a profile in which the hardware associated with a specific
    >network can be delineated. This would work fine, but I was hoping for a

    Yes there is. Here is THE URL AGAIN
    www.netswitcher.com , see the manual / FAQ.

    >simple (from within win xp pro) solution. To make matters worse, the

    Well it's lucky MS doesn't yet do software for everything.

    >laptop in question is "locked down" and there is no way to install any

    How is that worse? You can't install a 3rd party app so most likely the
    same feature set in XP would be locked down as well.

    >software.

    Good and tough.

    >Thanks for your comments and information - it looks like this is a more
    >complicated issue than I first thought.

    Only if there is a company policy of locking down settings and stopping
    you installing s/w which is a good thing. However if the company install
    the app and allow the account rights to rejoin the domain then fine.

    However as it's a works laptop, give up now with this.

    >Harvey

    Me

    why?, Jul 30, 2006