    I have had all sorts of advice before with people telling me I need routers
    and hubs - Its just confused the hell out of me !!!

    Stuart

    Stuart Adair, Oct 14, 2004

  2. Stuart Adair

    Wizard Guest

    Your best bet is a router (they are cheap and easy to set up) and you
    will need a NIC for the other machine, what ever you do OR put a second
    NIC in the XP machine and use connection sharing (which is limited).

    1 Router + 1 NIC
    or 2 NIC's

    Wizard, Oct 14, 2004

  3. Stuart Adair

    Jim Berwick Guest

    "Stuart Adair" <> wrote in

    > I have had all sorts of advice before with people telling me I need
    > routers and hubs - Its just confused the hell out of me !!!

    The easiest way is to take the modem off the XP machine, connect it to a
    router ($40 to $70), connect the router to the XP machine, get a NIC for
    the ME machine and connect the router to it. If you are dead set on
    sharing the connection on the XP machine, you will need:

    An unused NIC in the XP machine (to connect to the ME machine).
    1 crossover cable to reach between the two computers
    1 NIC for the ME machine

    To setup ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) or Routing and Remote access
    services on the XP machine. A router is definitely easier.

    Jim Berwick, Oct 14, 2004
  4. Stuart Adair

    Dan Abrey Guest

    "Jim Berwick" <> wrote in message
    > "Stuart Adair" <> wrote in
    >
    > > I have had all sorts of advice before with people telling me I need
    > > routers and hubs - Its just confused the hell out of me !!!
    > >

    > The easiest way is to take the modem off the XP machine, connect it to a
    > router ($40 to $70), connect the router to the XP machine, get a NIC for
    > the ME machine and connect the router to it. If you are dead set on
    > sharing the connection on the XP machine, you will need:
    >
    > An unused NIC in the XP machine (to connect to the ME machine).
    > 1 crossover cable to reach between the two computers
    > 1 NIC for the ME machine
    >
    > To setup ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) or Routing and Remote access
    > services on the XP machine. A router is definitely easier.

    Another obvious bonus with the router is that the host XP machine will not
    have to be connected to allow the ME machine to connect.

    Dan Abrey, Oct 14, 2004
  5. Stuart Adair

    dennis Guest

    Might want to check to see if your modem already has a router integrated in
    it. If that is the case you will want to get a switch instead of a router.
    I've come across several dsl modems that include routers, not sure about
    cable modems.

    dennis, Oct 14, 2004