    My question is do I use crossover or straight cable to make the connections
    from the router to other pc.

    Thanks for looking.
    shoogly, Jun 1, 2004

  2. "shoogly" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I created a home network of 2 pc's using crossover cable.
    >
    > Recently the cable was damaged & I am now thinking of upgrading to a 4
    > port
    > adsl modem/router.
    >
    > My question is do I use crossover or straight cable to make the
    > connections
    > from the router to other pc.
    >
    > Thanks for looking.

    if you are plugging each pc into a seperate port on the router, you use
    straight cable not the crossover cable.
    Gareth not NLL or anybody else., Jun 1, 2004

  3. shoogly

    JIm Guest

    Mostly straight 568a or 568b standard

    JIm, Jun 1, 2004
  4. Thanks Gareth, much obliged.

    Andy Morrison, Jun 1, 2004
  5. shoogly

    127.0.0.1 Guest

    "shoogly" <> wrote in message
    > I created a home network of 2 pc's using crossover cable.
    >
    > Recently the cable was damaged & I am now thinking of upgrading to a 4

    port
    > adsl modem/router.
    >
    > My question is do I use crossover or straight cable to make the

    connections
    > from the router to other pc.

    on older routers, avoid any uplink ports (they usually require crossover
    cables).
    the regular ports (1 to whatever) can use normal ethernet cables.
    exception: if an uplink port is available, the port next to it is shared and
    should not be used if the uplink port is used.

    the activity lights are a good troubleshooting tool.

    -a|ex
    127.0.0.1, Jun 1, 2004
  6. shoogly

    Barry OGrady Guest

    On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 12:17:17 GMT, "shoogly" <> wrote:

    >I created a home network of 2 pc's using crossover cable.
    >
    >Recently the cable was damaged & I am now thinking of upgrading to a 4 port
    >adsl modem/router.
    >
    >My question is do I use crossover or straight cable to make the connections
    >from the router to other pc.

    Normally you would use a straight cable but often one port is designated an upload port
    and can use a crossover cable. Also some of the newer switches can use either.

    >Thanks for looking.

    -Barry
    ========
    Barry OGrady, Jun 2, 2004