    impossible to dig out good old basic info.

    TIA

    JohnF
    JohnF, Jul 24, 2003

  2. JohnF

    HamMan Guest

    "JohnF" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > We have 9 machines running on a peer-to-peer network here. I set it up
    > several years ago and it's slow but it works. What do I need to do to
    > make the system faster? I'm using 10/100 LAN cards in all machines and
    > 10/100 hubs (4). Do I really need to go to an ethernet software like
    > Novell or something? Is there a decent webpage with this kind of info?
    > When I search Google I get so much advertising and BS it's almost
    > impossible to dig out good old basic info.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > JohnF

    No way in hell should you use Novell, you could replace the hubs with a
    16port Switch.

    Better yet, setup a server and a domain.

    If you dont want to dismantle the building to lay cable consider wireless,
    802.11g will provide upto 54Mbps
    HamMan, Jul 24, 2003

  3. JohnF

    Lee Guest

    what is it you want to make faster? the systems? or the network?
    If its the systems than depending on what processor you currently have
    this is the vital part of the system that determines speed, also
    depending on how ram is in the machines this is another vital part of
    performance.

    100mbit=10mb/s which is pretty standard for a network now and considered
    fast enough if its not then there is consideration of getting gigabit
    ethernet cards.

    On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 19:00:05 GMT, (JohnF) had
    the will to write:

    >We have 9 machines running on a peer-to-peer network here. I set it up
    >several years ago and it's slow but it works. What do I need to do to
    >make the system faster? I'm using 10/100 LAN cards in all machines and
    >10/100 hubs (4). Do I really need to go to an ethernet software like
    >Novell or something? Is there a decent webpage with this kind of info?
    >When I search Google I get so much advertising and BS it's almost
    >impossible to dig out good old basic info.
    >
    >TIA
    >
    >JohnF

    ----
    Lee
    Lee, Jul 24, 2003
  4. JohnF

    HamMan Guest

    "JohnF" <> wrote in message
    > Is there some way to get the network running nearer the 100Mb speed
    > through the existing hardware?
    >
    > JohnF
    >

    > On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 20:00:48 +0100, "HamMan"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    > >"JohnF" <> wrote in message
    > >> We have 9 machines running on a peer-to-peer network here. I set it up
    > >> several years ago and it's slow but it works. What do I need to do to
    > >> make the system faster? I'm using 10/100 LAN cards in all machines and
    > >> 10/100 hubs (4). Do I really need to go to an ethernet software like
    > >> Novell or something? Is there a decent webpage with this kind of info?
    > >> When I search Google I get so much advertising and BS it's almost
    > >> impossible to dig out good old basic info.
    > >>
    > >> TIA
    > >>
    > >> JohnF

    > >No way in hell should you use Novell, you could replace the hubs with a
    > >16port Switch.
    > >
    > >Better yet, setup a server and a domain.
    > >
    > >If you dont want to dismantle the building to lay cable consider

    wireless,
    > >802.11g will provide upto 54Mbps

    Replacing the hubs with switches would give you much nearer the 100Mbps,
    depending in what youre doing.
    Provinding you are using CAT5e or CAT6 cable.
    Switches are faitly cheap on ebay now

    98SE isnt the fastest thing ever on networks in my experience, consider 2000
    or XP (Pro if youre considering domian)
    HamMan, Jul 24, 2003
  5. The important thing is to determine why your network is considered "slow".
    The most obvious thing is if you've updated some of your computers, you now
    perceive your network to be slow because you become comfortable with your
    faster computer. If your company is growing...i.e. your adding workstations
    to your network, the you really want to consider getting a secure network.
    Novell provides an excellent operating system in Netware 6. Microsoft
    Windows 2000 Server is more user friendly, but has a higher price tag to go
    along with it. All in all, before you do anything, you need to determine
    the point of lethargy in your network. This way you will not be exhausting
    time and resources without proper results.

    --
    Jeffrey Edwards
    CNE5,CDE,MCP2k,CCA1.8

    Jeffrey Edwards, Jul 24, 2003
  6. JohnF

    HamMan Guest

    "Jeffrey Edwards" <> wrote in message
    > The important thing is to determine why your network is considered "slow".
    > The most obvious thing is if you've updated some of your computers, you

    now
    > perceive your network to be slow because you become comfortable with your
    > faster computer. If your company is growing...i.e. your adding

    workstations
    > to your network, the you really want to consider getting a secure network.
    > Novell provides an excellent operating system in Netware 6. Microsoft
    > Windows 2000 Server is more user friendly, but has a higher price tag to

    go
    > along with it. All in all, before you do anything, you need to determine
    > the point of lethargy in your network. This way you will not be

    exhausting
    > time and resources without proper results.
    >
    > --
    > Jeffrey Edwards
    > CNE5,CDE,MCP2k,CCA1.8
    > "JohnF" <> wrote in message
    > > We have 9 machines running on a peer-to-peer network here. I set it up
    > > several years ago and it's slow but it works. What do I need to do to
    > > make the system faster? I'm using 10/100 LAN cards in all machines and
    > > 10/100 hubs (4). Do I really need to go to an ethernet software like
    > > Novell or something? Is there a decent webpage with this kind of info?
    > > When I search Google I get so much advertising and BS it's almost
    > > impossible to dig out good old basic info.
    > >
    > > TIA
    > >
    > > JohnF

    Good point, you could setup a very small scale server running not WinNT or
    Novell, but use a linux based OS, nice and fast; and more importantly free.

    Get a cheapo Athlon1600+ or Duron 1.3 and you'll be well away
    HamMan, Jul 24, 2003
  7. JohnF

    JR Guest

    wrote:

    >We have 9 machines running on a peer-to-peer network here. I set it up
    >several years ago and it's slow but it works.

    Define "slow". What sort of file transfer speeds across the LAN do you
    get?

    jd
    JR, Jul 25, 2003