    Now I don't know where to go from here. Do I do something with the second
    computer? Can anybody give me a few pointers as to what else to do?

    Netty

    Netty, Mar 20, 2005

  2. Netty wrote:
    > A relation has tried to link 2 pc's in her house by a wireless network.
    > Worked fine for the first couple of days but now it doesn't. She's asked me
    > to sort it out but I know didly-squat about networks I'm afraid. I've been
    > and checked all cables are connected. She's got 4+1 static green lights
    > showing on the wireless box (which she says should be showing). When I right
    > clicked on the networking icon it gave me the option to 'repair' which I
    > did, only it didn't. It said it had attempted to change the dynamic IP
    > address but couldn't and advised me to contact the administrator in charge
    > of the networking! Both pc's were switched on at the time.
    >
    > Now I don't know where to go from here. Do I do something with the second
    > computer? Can anybody give me a few pointers as to what else to do?
    >
    > Netty

    If she didn't change anything since it was all working, shut everything
    down and restart. That's fixed many vexing problems.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Mar 20, 2005

  3. Netty

    Scraggy Guest

    Rôgêr wrote:
    > Netty wrote:
    >> A relation has tried to link 2 pc's in her house by a wireless
    >> network. Worked fine for the first couple of days but now it
    >> doesn't. She's asked me to sort it out but I know didly-squat about
    >> networks I'm afraid. I've been and checked all cables are connected.
    >> She's got 4+1 static green lights showing on the wireless box (which
    >> she says should be showing). When I right clicked on the networking
    >> icon it gave me the option to 'repair' which I did, only it didn't.
    >> It said it had attempted to change the dynamic IP address but
    >> couldn't and advised me to contact the administrator in charge of
    >> the networking! Both pc's were switched on at the time. Now I don't know
    >> where to go from here. Do I do something with the
    >> second computer? Can anybody give me a few pointers as to what else
    >> to do? Netty

    > If she didn't change anything since it was all working, shut
    > everything down and restart. That's fixed many vexing problems.

    Seconded.
    --
    I told his psychiatrist that everyone hates him. He said I was being
    ridiculous - everyone hasn't met him yet. Rodney Dangerfield

    Scraggy, Mar 20, 2005
  4. Netty

    Netty Guest

    Tried that already. No good I'm afraid.

    Netty

    Netty, Mar 20, 2005
  5. Netty wrote:
    > Tried that already. No good I'm afraid.

    There's not really enough info in your post to help much. What wireless
    devices are we talking about? Is the second computer a laptop? The
    wireless box you mention, I'm assuming it's a wirelss router to share
    broadband? Have you opened the wireless program on the second computer
    to see the status there?

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Mar 20, 2005
  6. Netty

    127.0.0.1 Guest

    "Netty" <> wrote in message
    >A relation has tried to link 2 pc's in her house by a wireless network.
    > Worked fine for the first couple of days but now it doesn't. She's asked
    > me
    > to sort it out but I know didly-squat about networks I'm afraid. I've been
    > and checked all cables are connected. She's got 4+1 static green lights
    > showing on the wireless box (which she says should be showing). When I
    > right
    > clicked on the networking icon it gave me the option to 'repair' which I
    > did, only it didn't. It said it had attempted to change the dynamic IP
    > address but couldn't and advised me to contact the administrator in charge
    > of the networking! Both pc's were switched on at the time.
    >
    > Now I don't know where to go from here. Do I do something with the second
    > computer? Can anybody give me a few pointers as to what else to do?
    >
    > Netty

    best place to start... the manual

    all wireless routers have an idiots guide to networking.
    no offense, but i learned how to put a 5ESS switch together for the first
    time using the accompanied manuals/schematics.

    -a|ex

    127.0.0.1, Mar 21, 2005
  7. Netty

    Keme Guest

    Netty wrote:
    > Tried that already. No good I'm afraid.
    >
    > Netty

    Are you sure? No offense intended, but try again!
    - Shut all computers down.
    - Disconnect all computers from wall outlets
    - Take out the batteries from all portables
    - Disconnect ALL cables from the "wireless box"
    - If there is some sort of modem for shared internet connection (a box
    between the wireless box and the external line), disconnect power and
    external line on that modem.

    Now everything is shut down, and "stray traffic" has most likely been
    killed. Patch things up again and start the computers.

    Wireless networks are vulnerable to neighbour exploitation, intended and
    accidental interference. Use cabled networks where possible (safer, faster).

    Keme, Mar 28, 2005