    access the internet on all 3 computers.

    I've checked the firewall (AVG 7.1) and that doesn't seem to be the problem.

    Anyone else with this or similar problems.
    =?Utf-8?B?b2xkY3JvY2s=?=, Mar 15, 2006

  2. Have you tried assigning a static ip address to each machine and try
    browsing again? Also make there is no ip address conflict, all computers are
    part of the same workgroup with unique computer names. Can you see and
    browse the Windows XP computers from XP Professional x64?
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Mar 15, 2006

  3. Thanks for the reply.
    I have checked all you recommended. The XP64 computer does not see the XP
    computers and vice versa.
    I'll go through the setups again.

    =?Utf-8?B?b2xkY3JvY2s=?=, Mar 17, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?b2xkY3JvY2s=?=

    John John Guest

    Is the Computer Browser Service running? If not, enable it. What is
    the "exact" error message? Are any errors showing in the event viewer?

    John

    John John, Mar 17, 2006
  5. Just becuase the computer does not appear in My Network Places does not mean
    they can not interoperate over the network.

    Click Start, Run then key \\computername\sharename and press Enter.

    If you are logged on with user account that has the same name and password
    on the other computer (i.e. the called computername), try this:

    \\computername\C$

    This should open an Explorer window showing the contents of the C partition
    on computername.

    My experience is that the Browser service that acquires the list of
    computers on a "network" is less than 100% effective/reliable - I usually
    just ignore it and use Start, Run or Map Network Drive.

    If the Start, Run technique doesn't work, time to take a look at the IP
    configuration and verify that both computers are in the same subnet; also
    verify that any firewall is configured with an exception for File and Print
    Sharing. Your XP 64 installation most likely has the Windows Firewall
    installed and turned on, but your 32 bit computers may not.

    The netsh command can be used to determine the Windows firewall status and
    which exceptions are in place. Open a Command Prompt and key the command:

    netsh firewall show state

    You should get a response something like:

    Firewall status:
    Profile = Standard
    Operational mode = Enable
    Exception mode = Enable
    Multicast/broadcast response mode = Enable
    Notification mode = Enable
    Group policy version = Windows Firewall
    Remote admin mode = Enable

    Ports currently open on all network interfaces:
    Port Protocol Version Program
    135 TCP IPv4 (null)
    137 UDP IPv4 (null)
    139 TCP IPv4 (null)