Networking Problems

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Siogo, Feb 27, 2004.

  1. Siogo

    Siogo Guest

    Hi, i signed up for verizon dsl and hooked up my wifes computor and
    everything is working great on it. On the other hand i cant get my computor
    networked.

    They sendtme a linksys router, i have it all connected on her computor. My
    computor didnt have an ethernet card, so i bought one at radio shack. Here's
    where the trouble starts. I've tried everything i know how to do and i cant
    get it to work. Tried it in one slot and all i get is a black screen with
    some system information and a WARNING ERROR about the card ethernet card in
    slot 2 blah blah and at the bottom 2 choices. F1 setup which takes me to the
    bios i think. I havent a clue what to do there. So i hit F2 which powers up
    windows. There is a problem there being it says by my clock that a network
    cord is unplugged? Hmmmmm. I tried calling verizon but they said they cant
    help me and his suggestion was taking out the dial up modem and trying that.
    Something about an address was already being used. That didnt work
    either...same black screen.

    I havent a clue what to do now. Anyone seen this problem before and could
    tell me what i should do i would appreciate it.

    The problem computor is an HP6835...128MB RAM..Windows XP upgraded from ME.

    Thanks.

    Siogo, Feb 27, 2004

  2. Siogo wrote:

    > Hi, i signed up for verizon dsl and hooked up my wifes computor and
    > everything is working great on it. On the other hand i cant get my computor
    > networked.
    >
    > They sendtme a linksys router, i have it all connected on her computor. My
    > computor didnt have an ethernet card, so i bought one at radio shack. Here's
    > where the trouble starts. I've tried everything i know how to do and i cant
    > get it to work. Tried it in one slot and all i get is a black screen with
    > some system information and a WARNING ERROR about the card ethernet card in
    > slot 2 blah blah and at the bottom 2 choices. F1 setup which takes me to the
    > bios i think. I havent a clue what to do there. So i hit F2 which powers up
    > windows. There is a problem there being it says by my clock that a network
    > cord is unplugged? Hmmmmm. I tried calling verizon but they said they cant
    > help me and his suggestion was taking out the dial up modem and trying that.
    > Something about an address was already being used. That didnt work
    > either...same black screen.
    >
    > I havent a clue what to do now. Anyone seen this problem before and could
    > tell me what i should do i would appreciate it.
    >
    > The problem computor is an HP6835...128MB RAM..Windows XP upgraded from ME.

    3 tips:

    1. Read the manual that came with the HP, there's probably a chapter in
    there about adding cards.
    2. try the other slot, according to the HP website your machine should
    have 2 free pci slots.
    3. post EXACT information here, the blah blah part could be very
    important

    --
    Groeten/Regards
    Jeroen Wijnands

    Jeroen Wijnands, Feb 27, 2004

  3. "Siogo" <> wrote in

    > Hi, i signed up for verizon dsl and hooked up my wifes computor and
    > everything is working great on it. On the other hand i cant get my
    > computor networked.
    >
    > They sendtme a linksys router, i have it all connected on her
    > computor. My computor didnt have an ethernet card, so i bought one at
    > radio shack. Here's where the trouble starts. I've tried everything i
    > know how to do and i cant get it to work. Tried it in one slot and all
    > i get is a black screen with some system information and a WARNING
    > ERROR about the card ethernet card in slot 2 blah blah and at the
    > bottom 2 choices. F1 setup which takes me to the bios i think. I
    > havent a clue what to do there. So i hit F2 which powers up windows.
    > There is a problem there being it says by my clock that a network cord
    > is unplugged? Hmmmmm. I tried calling verizon but they said they cant
    > help me and his suggestion was taking out the dial up modem and trying
    > that. Something about an address was already being used. That didnt
    > work either...same black screen.
    >
    > I havent a clue what to do now. Anyone seen this problem before and
    > could tell me what i should do i would appreciate it.
    >
    > The problem computor is an HP6835...128MB RAM..Windows XP upgraded
    > from ME.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Sounds like you got the card installed properly, now plug in a CAT-5
    (network) cable from the network card to the linksys router and you should
    be good.

    --
    -=/ Someone@TheDailySpank /=-

    TheDailySpank, Feb 28, 2004
  4. Siogo

    George Guest

    Hi.....i'm all hooked up now. Changed my name but wanted to post back and
    let ya know what i found out. I got a bad NIC card, took it back to radio
    shack and got another and it up and ran perfectly.

    George, Feb 28, 2004
  5. Siogo

    TehGhodTrole Guest

    Siogo wrote:
    > Hi, i signed up for verizon dsl and hooked up my wifes computor and
    > everything is working great on it. On the other hand i cant get my
    > computor networked.
    >
    > They sendtme a linksys router, i have it all connected on her
    > computor. My computor didnt have an ethernet card, so i bought one at
    > radio shack. Here's where the trouble starts. I've tried everything i
    > know how to do and i cant get it to work. Tried it in one slot and
    > all i get is a black screen with some system information and a
    > WARNING ERROR about the card ethernet card in slot 2 blah blah and at
    > the bottom 2 choices. F1 setup which takes me to the bios i think. I
    > havent a clue what to do there. So i hit F2 which powers up windows.
    > There is a problem there being it says by my clock that a network
    > cord is unplugged? Hmmmmm. I tried calling verizon but they said they
    > cant help me and his suggestion was taking out the dial up modem and
    > trying that. Something about an address was already being used. That
    > didnt work either...same black screen.

    The card is dud. Take it back and exchange it.

    --
    TehGhodTrole: Trolling, for God's sake.
    Your Free Insult: Jesus loves you.

    TehGhodTrole, Feb 28, 2004
  6. Cool. Nice to know you got it working.

    --
    -=/ Someone@TheDailySpank /=-

    If it was done quickly,
    it wasn't done right.