Networking problems in x64

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?U2xpY2U=?=, Nov 16, 2005.

  1. Well,
    I have recently just run into my first problem on x64. I have a home network
    with five Windows computers on it. Two of those computers are laptops running
    Windows XP Home Edition w/ SP2, another is a desktop is running Windows XP
    Home Edition w/ SP2, the next one is a desktop with Windows XP Professional
    w/ SP2, and lastly is my new desktop running Windows XP Professional x64
    Edition. I have configured each to be part of a workgroup called “workgroupâ€
    and have enabled printer and file sharing on each. They all run windows
    firewall, and are all configured with the proper exceptions to allow for the
    sharing services to function.

    Now on to the problem, my x64 box is obviously malfunctioning as far as the
    network goes. All my 32-bit windows machines can see each other as well as
    themselves in the “view workgroup computers†window as well as when I execute
    the “net view†command from command prompt; however, my x64 box is never
    detected via these methods. I can however access the x64 box and its shares
    from any of the other computers on the network by typing in the path manually
    into my explorer address bar (aka \\computer name\). The problem really gets
    funny with my x64 system. It can see all the rest of the systems on the
    network via the methods mentioned above but it can not see itself. The x64
    box refuses to function properly on the network. It is also funny that it
    does not detect itself as being in the workgroup. I know this because when I
    type “net view†from with in command prompt on my x64 box it displays all the
    other computers in the workgroup but not itself. The same also holds true of
    when I browse “view workgroup computers†from my x64 box as it does not
    detect itself (when I run the “net view†command or browse the “view
    workgroup computers†on any of the other computers they display them selves
    as well). There is obviously a problem here but I don’t know how to fix it. I
    decided to try using the windows help to trouble shoot the problem and it
    always says:

    “Are you using a computer name that already exists on the network? The
    troubleshooter detected that you might be using a computer name that already
    exists on the network. This might be the cause of the problem. Follow the
    steps below to change the computer name.â€

    The problem is that the name is completely unique! I even humored windows
    and changed to computer name but to no avail as the results are the same as
    described above. What could the problem be? Any help would be appreciated.

    Signed,
    Slice

    =?Utf-8?B?U2xpY2U=?=, Nov 16, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?U2xpY2U=?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Two anomalies have caused strange problem in the past. If you have an
    nforce chip on your mobo, make sure the Nvidia firewall is installed, and
    then uninstalled. It has caused problems with networking before. Also,
    Avast A/V has caused a problem, so if you have it installed, turn it off and
    see of your problem goes away. I don't recall that it has to be uninstalled
    for this, only turned off.

    John Barnes, Nov 16, 2005

  3. Hi,

    > "Are you using a computer name that already exists on the network? The
    > troubleshooter detected that you might be using a computer name that
    > already
    > exists on the network. This might be the cause of the problem. Follow the
    > steps below to change the computer name."
    >
    > The problem is that the name is completely unique! I even humored windows
    > and changed to computer name but to no avail as the results are the same
    > as
    > described above. What could the problem be? Any help would be appreciated.

    the maximum length of NetBios names are allowed to be 15 signs.
    if use more, only these are relevant to decide wether to be unique or not.
    Are yours all below or equal 15 ?

    regards

    Juergen Kluth, Nov 16, 2005
  4. well, i tried installing and then uninstalling the nvfirewall but it didnt
    help. i have just given up and am reinstalling windows! this crap better not
    happen again, it is driving me nuts! other then this issue i have not had any
    problems with x64

    =?Utf-8?B?U2xpY2U=?=, Nov 16, 2005
  5. "John Barnes" wrote:

    > Two anomalies have caused strange problem in the past. If you have an
    > nforce chip on your mobo, make sure the Nvidia firewall is installed, and
    > then uninstalled. It has caused problems with networking before. Also,
    > Avast A/V has caused a problem, so if you have it installed, turn it off and
    > see of your problem goes away. I don't recall that it has to be uninstalled
    > for this, only turned off.

    well, i think this may be the problem, when i installed my nforce frivers i
    chose not to install the firewall. you think this is the scource of my
    problems?

    slice

    =?Utf-8?B?U2xpY2U=?=, Nov 16, 2005
  6. Some little piece of the nvidia firewall seems to get installed no matter
    what you choose and the solutions if that is the problem is to install the
    firewall so that the uninstaller can see it. Then uninstall and the
    uninstaller will remove all the bits. That has been the solution the group
    has come up with.

    Colin Barnhorst, Nov 16, 2005
  7. Yes, and wasn't it fun figuring that one out! I've forgotten who first got
    it to work.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64