Networking Problem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Manfred, Sep 28, 2010.

  1. Manfred

    Manfred Guest

    Hello all.
    My laptop networking profile is Work Profile.

    When I am at home, I would like to use the Wireless Router to share files on
    my other laptops or desktops.
    I try to do it with the Work Profile. But it seems that it is not able to
    connect, always prompting for a password. I did not set any password and
    have enable file sharing. But it is No Go.

    I read that I need to change the profile to Home, for it to work the way I
    intend.
    But the problem is, when I change it to Home profile, it will show up as
    Home but then later, change by itself to Public Profile.

    When it is on Public Profile, all connections became disconnected and unable
    to access the Net.

    I have to do a System Recovery. I could not set the Profile from Public back
    to Work or Home.

    What is the problem ? Can anybody suggest something or have came across
    such, and how you resolved it.
    I am using Windows 7 on the laptop and Vista for the other desktops.

    It seems that this profile is a problem esp the Public Profile.
    Thanks for reading and hoping to hear from those who can help.
    Manfred
    Manfred, Sep 28, 2010

  2. Manfred

    VanguardLH Guest

    Manfred wrote:

    > Hello all.
    > My laptop networking profile is Work Profile.
    >
    > When I am at home, I would like to use the Wireless Router to share files on
    > my other laptops or desktops.
    > I try to do it with the Work Profile. But it seems that it is not able to
    > connect, always prompting for a password. I did not set any password and
    > have enable file sharing. But it is No Go.
    >
    > I read that I need to change the profile to Home, for it to work the way I
    > intend.
    > But the problem is, when I change it to Home profile, it will show up as
    > Home but then later, change by itself to Public Profile.
    >
    > When it is on Public Profile, all connections became disconnected and unable
    > to access the Net.
    >
    > I have to do a System Recovery. I could not set the Profile from Public back
    > to Work or Home.
    >
    > What is the problem ? Can anybody suggest something or have came across
    > such, and how you resolved it.
    > I am using Windows 7 on the laptop and Vista for the other desktops.
    >
    > It seems that this profile is a problem esp the Public Profile.
    > Thanks for reading and hoping to hear from those who can help.
    > Manfred

    Don't use homegroups in Windows 7. Use workgroups on all your hosts.
    VanguardLH, Sep 28, 2010

  3. Manfred

    chuckcar Guest

    "Manfred" <> wrote in

    > Hello all.
    > My laptop networking profile is Work Profile.
    >
    > When I am at home, I would like to use the Wireless Router to share
    > files on my other laptops or desktops.
    > I try to do it with the Work Profile. But it seems that it is not able
    > to connect, always prompting for a password. I did not set any
    > password and have enable file sharing. But it is No Go.

    Have you tried doing it right beside your wireless router? Range is the
    biggest problem with wifi and a cheap wireless card is almost certainly
    your problem.

    > I read that I need to change the profile to Home, for it to work the
    > way I intend.

    Where and why?

    > But the problem is, when I change it to Home profile, it will show up
    > as Home but then later, change by itself to Public Profile.
    >
    > When it is on Public Profile, all connections became disconnected and
    > unable to access the Net.
    >
    > I have to do a System Recovery. I could not set the Profile from
    > Public back to Work or Home.
    >
    > What is the problem ? Can anybody suggest something or have came
    > across such, and how you resolved it.
    > I am using Windows 7 on the laptop and Vista for the other desktops.
    >
    > It seems that this profile is a problem esp the Public Profile.
    > Thanks for reading and hoping to hear from those who can help.

    It's almost certainly side effects of two little signal strength from
    your wireless card.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Sep 28, 2010