Networking problem

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Kevin Hill, Nov 5, 2008.

  1. Kevin Hill

    Kevin Hill Guest

    Hi Guys and Gals,
    I have a networking problem that I need help with. First let me explain me
    network. I have a NetGear router hooked to ComCast
    at my home. I own an auto repair shop 700 feet from home. So I have the
    NetGear router hooked to a Linksys wireless access
    point via an Ethernet cable. The Linksys access point beams a wireless
    signal to 2 Linksys clients. One at my shop, and one at
    my brothers house across the street.
    Now if you have followed me so far I will describe my shop set up. My shop
    Linksys client is connected via Ethernet to another
    Linksys wireless access point in my shop. I have 3 computers in the shop
    that connects wirelessly to it.
    Now here is my problem. When I connect wirelessly to my shop access point
    with my laptop all is fine. If I then turn the wireless
    card off in my laptop to disconnect from the network and take my laptop home
    at the end of the day I can not connect from home
    to my shop computer via my laptop. I can not ping the garage. I do have
    internet access and connect to my router. I just can not
    connect to the shop.
    If I restart the access point and client in the shop, I then could connect
    from home to the shop again. I know it is kind of confusing
    and hard to explain but could anyone understand my network set up and my
    problem????? I wish I had a fix! I looked in the event
    viewer for anything that might explain the problem and I did find this,

    "Details
    Product: Windows Operating System
    ID: 8003
    Source: MRxSmb
    Version: 5.2
    Symbolic Name: EVENT_BOWSER_OTHER_MASTER_ON_NET
    Message: The master browser has received a server announcement from the
    computer %2 that believes that it is the master browser for the domain on
    transport %3. The master browser is stopping or an election is being forced.

    Explanation
    This computer is a master browser, and another computer has announced that
    it is the master browser. There can be only one master browser on a subnet
    at any given time. This message is logged for informational purposes only.

    The existence of two browser masters occurs when a second computer cannot
    contact the master browser for some reason: for example, when there are name
    resolution problems or the master browser is too busy to respond. When the
    original master browser receives a master announcement from the second
    computer, the master browser tries to resolve the conflict by ending its
    status as a master server, forcing an election, or both.

    The choice of these actions depends on the status of the two computers: for
    example, whether one or both are domain controllers, primary domain
    controllers or Windows for Workgroups computers, and whether this computer
    lost an election earlier. For more information about browsing, see Appendix
    I: Windows 2000 Server Browser Service on the Microsoft Technet Web site.

    User Action
    No user action is required."

    I do not know if this error is related or not and I do not know how to
    declare one computer as the master browser.
    Any ideas?????????
    Thanks,
    Kevin

    --
    Kevin Hill
    Advanced Auto and Diesel
    Kevin Hill, Nov 5, 2008

  2. Kevin Hill

    Lem Guest

    Kevin Hill wrote:
> [...]
    > respond. When the original master browser receives a master announcement
    > from the second computer, the master browser tries to resolve the
    > conflict by ending its status as a master server, forcing an election,
    > or both.
    >
    > The choice of these actions depends on the status of the two computers:
    > for example, whether one or both are domain controllers, primary domain
    > controllers or Windows for Workgroups computers, and whether this
    > computer lost an election earlier. For more information about browsing,
    > see Appendix I: Windows 2000 Server Browser Service on the Microsoft
    > Technet Web site.
    >

    > User Action
    > No user action is required."
    >

    > I do not know if this error is related or not and I do not know how to
    > declare one computer as the master browser.

    This is a fairly complex setup: did it ever work they way you would like
    it to? If so, what changed?

    The master browser error may be your problem. See
    http://networking.nitecruzr.net/2005/04/nt-browser-or-why-cant-i-always-see.html
    (in reading the above, keep in mind that you undoubtedly have a
    "workgroup" and not a "domain.")

    I'm not sure what you mean by a "client," but basically, it sounds as if
    you have set up a wireless bridge between your house and the shop
    (ignoring your brother) and then connected the shop end of the bridge to
    a wireless AP. If everything has been done correctly, the DHCP server
    in the router should be the only DHCP server on the entire network and
    should be responsible for allocating IP addresses to *all* of the
    computers on the network. It is possible, however, that your bridge
    setup blocks that behavior.

    To help diagnose things, post the results of ipconfig /all from the
    following situations:

    1. From your laptop when successfully connected at home.
    2. From your laptop when successfully connected in the shop.
    3. From one of the other computers in the shop.
    4. From your laptop when you can *not* successfully access the shop
    computer.
    5. From your laptop after you restart the access point and client in
    the shop (btw, what "client" are you restarting?)

    ipconfig /all (how to get text output)
    http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com/ipconfig-all-how-to-get-text-output/

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

    Lem, Nov 5, 2008

  3. For the immediate problem,...make sure the SSID of every AP is
    different,...beyond that,..don't know.

    For the problem you don't see you have yet.... your theory of design is just
    wrong.
    You have to treat the LAN as a LAN and not as a "bunch of PCs". If you
    power down every single one of your PCs,...what you have left *is* the LAN.
    The PCs "exist" on the LAN just like houses exist on the side of the
    road,..but the PCs are not part of the LAN just like houses are not part of
    the street system.

    Access Points and the Wireless Nics in the PC have a maximum usable range of
    around 350 feet for B and G. The N stretches that a little further. The
    practical range of B or G where you still have any real performance is
    around half that (150 or so),...stronger the signal, the faster the speed.

    So you have two buildings 700 feet apart. You need to join these two
    building (buildings, not PCs) using a wireless Bridge that is designed to
    run dependably over that distance. Bridges are point-to-point and they only
    do that one thing,...PCs do not connect directly two bridges. However Cisco
    makes a "hybrid" called a Workgroup Bridge but the Clients are limited to 8
    with a hub or 7 with a switch and they connect to it *wired*,..not wireless.

    Downstream of the Bridge, as you go down into the building, it is
    *wired*,...you then have the option of adding a Wireless Access Point
    [WAP],...not a "router". The WAP would plug into the LAN just like a
    PC,..no difference. The wireless PCs would then connect to the WAPs.

    You would repeat that "design" in each building. You then only need *one*
    internet account and would use a *wired* router to sit between the Internet
    and the LAN and both buildings would use it. It doesn't matter what
    building it is in, just use whatever is most convenient.

    You brother is on his own. As long as he is close enough to at least one WAP
    with a strong enough signal he should be fine. I seen no reason to incure
    the expense of repeating the Bridge & LAN design in his house as well.

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

    Phillip Windell, Nov 5, 2008
  4. Kevin Hill

    Barb Bowman Guest

    Strongly suggest you check this configuration against Comcast's
    terms of service.

    On Wed, 5 Nov 2008 14:13:51 -0500, "Kevin Hill"
    <> wrote:

    >I have a NetGear router hooked to ComCast
    >at my home. I own an auto repair shop 700 feet from home. So I have the
    >NetGear router hooked to a Linksys wireless access
    >point via an Ethernet cable. The Linksys access point beams a wireless
    >signal to 2 Linksys clients. One at my shop, and one at
    >my brothers house across the street.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP
    http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com
    Barb Bowman, Nov 6, 2008
  5. i just bought an hp laptop and tried to run it on my dlink wireless in my
    home. the router is 15 feet away and when i activate my wireless in the
    laptop i pick up everyone in the neighbourhood but mine. short of taking
    down the network and starting over is there another way. oh i should say i
    use vista and while doing the setup dlink wanted to use xp setup can some
    one set me in the right direction...thanks

    wayne ritchie, Nov 24, 2008
  6. Wayne; Start your own post. Do not highjack onto some one else's post.
    It makes the answers to one post difficult to follow.

    Richard in AZ, Nov 24, 2008
  7. Kevin Hill

    Barb Bowman Guest

    did you change the SSID in the DLink router from the default name?
    what kind of security is it using? what new laptop with what
    wireless card? Intel draft 2.0N cards are very particular about what
    security mode you use.

    what do you mean by dlink setup?

    you should be using windows native features to connect to wireless
    and nothing else.

    please post details.

    --

    Barb Bowman