Networking problem

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Mainlander, Oct 23, 2003.

  1. Mainlander

    Mainlander Guest

    I have two Windows machines set up. One has a 10BaseT / 10Base2 card and
    the other has a 100BaseTX card. The two are connected with a Cat5 UTP
    cable and a crossover adapter. The 100BaseTX card has the settings in
    Control Panel Networking set to use a 10BaseT connection.

    The cable and adapter have been used before with the machine containing
    the 10BaseT card and another different machine with the same type of card
    with no problems.

    Both cards have all the drivers installed, clients, protocols etc (I'm
    using NetBeui) and have no issues showing up in Device Manager.

    I noticed that the light on the back of the card does not come on when
    the cable is plugged in. Have used two separate crossovers and cables so
    far.

    The machine with the 10BaseT card can see itself in Network
    Neighbourhood, but not the other machine. The other machine, with the
    100BaseTX card, can't see itself or anything in fact. It is as if they
    were not connected, but there seems to be a possible hardware problem on
    the 100BaseTX side.

    As the cables seem to be ruled out as the problem, is there any
    difference with 100BaseTX cards that preclude them being connected to
    10BaseT cards with the crossover cable, like a difference in the cable
    connections.

    Note the cable has been tried with and without a crossover adapter.

    My reading is that the 10BaseT machine is properly set up, but that there
    is some kind of hardware problem with the 100BaseTX card as the machine
    should be able to see itself in network neighbourhood even if there is a
    problem with the cable. In what circumstances is the light on the back of
    the card lit. Is this occurring when the electrical connections are
    correct or does it require some kind of software recognition by Windows.

    Mainlander, Oct 23, 2003

  2. Your only using one of those crossovers at a time right?

    Darryn Hadland, Oct 23, 2003

  3. Mainlander

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Your only using one of those crossovers at a time right?
    >
    > "Mainlander" <*@*.*> wrote in message
    > > I have two Windows machines set up. One has a 10BaseT / 10Base2 card and
    > > the other has a 100BaseTX card. The two are connected with a Cat5 UTP
    > > cable and a crossover adapter. The 100BaseTX card has the settings in
    > > Control Panel Networking set to use a 10BaseT connection.
    > >
    > > The cable and adapter have been used before with the machine containing
    > > the 10BaseT card and another different machine with the same type of card
    > > with no problems.
    > >
    > > Both cards have all the drivers installed, clients, protocols etc (I'm
    > > using NetBeui) and have no issues showing up in Device Manager.
    > >
    > > I noticed that the light on the back of the card does not come on when
    > > the cable is plugged in. Have used two separate crossovers and cables so
    > > far.
    > >
    > > The machine with the 10BaseT card can see itself in Network
    > > Neighbourhood, but not the other machine. The other machine, with the
    > > 100BaseTX card, can't see itself or anything in fact. It is as if they
    > > were not connected, but there seems to be a possible hardware problem on
    > > the 100BaseTX side.
    > >
    > > As the cables seem to be ruled out as the problem, is there any
    > > difference with 100BaseTX cards that preclude them being connected to
    > > 10BaseT cards with the crossover cable, like a difference in the cable
    > > connections.
    > >
    > > Note the cable has been tried with and without a crossover adapter.
    > >
    > > My reading is that the 10BaseT machine is properly set up, but that there
    > > is some kind of hardware problem with the 100BaseTX card as the machine
    > > should be able to see itself in network neighbourhood even if there is a
    > > problem with the cable. In what circumstances is the light on the back of
    > > the card lit. Is this occurring when the electrical connections are
    > > correct or does it require some kind of software recognition by Windows.

    Of course.

    After I took the machine to bits and took all the cards out, disconnected
    everything, took the motherboard out, put it all back together with the
    network card in another slot. it started working all by itself.

    Mainlander, Oct 23, 2003