    I have never had as much trouble networking machines as I have with XP. I
    have never, ever had issues like this with any other OS. W2K & others
    networked flawlessly.

    =?Utf-8?B?U3RhcmJ1Y2s=?=, Nov 22, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?U3RhcmJ1Y2s=?=

    David Hettel Guest

    This is usually caused by a misconfigured firewall. I would suggest that you
    run the Network Setup Wizard on both computers, making sure to enable File &
    Printer Sharing, and reboot. The only "gotcha" is that this will turn on the
    XP's SP2 Windows Firewall. If you aren't running a third-party firewall or
    have an antivirus with "Internet Worm Protection" (like Symantec or Norton
    2005/06/07) which acts as a firewall, then you'll be fine. If you however
    have third-party firewall software, you'll need to configure it to allow the
    Local Area Network traffic as trusted. I usually suggest that you do this
    with your firewall with an IP range. Ex. would be 192.168.1.0-192.168.1.254.
    Obviously you would substitute your correct subnet.

    http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html

    http://www.ezlan.net/Installing.html

    How to set up a home network:

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/setup/homenet.mspx

    --
    David Hettel

    E-mail or news groups.

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    no rights.

    David Hettel, Nov 22, 2006

  3. Well, I am unclear how the firewall stops any of this. If I can see & open
    other folders on the remote drive across the network, how is it stopping me
    from opening just a few specific folders? The root folder on both machines
    is shared, so all folders below should automatically be shared shouldn't
    they? Saying the firewall is stopping this, well.....

    That doesn't make sense. I have turned off firewalls on both the machines,
    same username & password on both, still no luck. It seems that Microsoft is
    oging to forece all all to go back to USB drive sneakernet unless we are a
    fortune 500 company. Networking with XP blows in my opinion. It is far too
    difficult to get running & keep running. Microsoft should not even do it if
    they are not going to support it better. It's crap like this that makes me
    wished I had stayed with windows 98 or 2000. I have never had such
    networking woes, not even running a novell network back in the day.
    Hopefully someone will reply with somthing that will work cause this is
    really frustrating.

    =?Utf-8?B?U3RhcmJ1Y2s=?=, Nov 22, 2006
  4. "Starbuck" wrote:
    > I have 2 machines, connected thru a router, one wireless, the other wired.
    > The wireless machine sees the wired machine, sees the shareed drive, & the
    > folders.
    > As soon as I try to copy the folder to the wireless machine from the wired
    > machine I get an accss denied error see administrator.
    >
    > Both machines have the same username & password established, The folder
    > that I want to copy is a sub folder of the documents & settings folder for my
    > username.
    >
    > I have bought a new machine & I want to copy the folder & other folders to
    > the new machine in a different location so that I can reinstall things as I
    > wish.
    >
    > I have never had as much trouble networking machines as I have with XP. I
    > have never, ever had issues like this with any other OS. W2K & others
    > networked flawlessly.

    The folders under your user profiile have NTFS level protection,
    besides the network share protection.
    The purpose of this is exactly to protect your private files from somebody
    who managed to share the entire disk :)

    A quick solution can be removing the NTFS protection
    (give read access to everybody) ,
    or use the Files & settings transfer wizard:
    Programs -> accessories-> system tools

    Regards,
    --PA

    =?Utf-8?B?UGF2ZWwgQS4=?=, Nov 22, 2006
  5. How do I remove NTFS protection? When I click on the folder & select
    properties it will not open a new window with the proberties.

    While NTFS protection is fine, for users, as an admin on the system, I
    should be able to copy anything without this much problem. It should be a
    part of the ADMIN properties in User Accounts. Right now this is making
    simple networking a PITA. It should not be this difficult to do. Nor should
    it take up days of my life.

    =?Utf-8?B?U3RhcmJ1Y2s=?=, Nov 23, 2006