Networking Problem

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Fred Miller, Jan 4, 2005.

  1. Fred Miller

    Fred Miller Guest

    Small home network with 3 computers using a Linksys BESFR41 with a cable
    modem.

    computer A: Win XP home with 512 MB Ram and a Celeron 2.4 GHz
    computer B: Win 2k with 512 MB RAM and a P4 850 MHZ
    computer C: Laptop with XP Pro with 512 MB Ram and p4 1.8 GHz

    All 3 computers accessd the internet w/o a problem.
    Computer B can access A but not C.
    Computer C can access A but not B
    Computer A can access C but not B because when it tries to access B it opens
    a windoe asking for a name and password. I ahve no idea how to set this up
    on B.

    Most importantly, how can I get B and C communicating. Teh appropriate
    sharing ahs been set up on both computers .

    TIA for yor help.

    Fred

    Fred Miller, Jan 4, 2005

  2. Fred Miller

    Fred Miller Guest

    Additional Information:

    When I try to accessC from B in Win Explorer I ge teh following message:
    //compname is not accessible. The network pat was
    not found.

    and

    when I try to access B from C i get a similar saying it is not accessible.
    you might not have permission to use the network resource.

    Fred

    Fred Miller, Jan 4, 2005

  3. Fred Miller

    Wizard Guest

    Start by adding "netbeui" protocol to each machine. Remove the firewall
    from it and remove file & printer sharing from tcp/ip but not from
    netbeui. Netbeui is native to win2000 but not xp. It is on the xp cd
    under addon's or something like that.

    Wizard, Jan 4, 2005
  4. Fred Miller

    Fred Miller Guest

    Wizard:

    Thank you. After following your suggestions comp B (win 2K) can now access
    both A and CO but CO still cannot access B. I continue to get the same
    error message.

    Fred

    Fred Miller, Jan 4, 2005
  5. Fred Miller

    Ross Durie Guest

    Remove NetBEUI immediately as it serves no purpose and restore appropriate
    bindings to TCP/IP

    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/filesharing.htm
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/troubleshoot/
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/cableguy/cg0204.mspx

    --
    Ross

    Ross Durie, Jan 5, 2005
  6. Fred Miller

    Wizard Guest

    Poor advise. Because netbeui is not routable, has very low overhead and
    is the fastest protocol ever created it is an excellent choice for his
    (and most) networking setups. That's the reason it is still used by half
    the world!

    Wizard, Jan 5, 2005
  7. Fred Miller

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Wizard <> wrote in news::

    > Poor advise. Because netbeui is not routable, has very low overhead
    > and is the fastest protocol ever created it is an excellent choice for
    > his (and most) networking setups. That's the reason it is still used
    > by half the world!

    But netbeui is the protocol that gives trouble when doing networking
    between a wired and wireless machine when the wireless machine has WEP
    enabled, because it's not a routable protocol and most people always hit
    that bump. At the job and most places I have worked, netbeui is not being
    used on the NIC's.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jan 5, 2005