networking problem???

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by The Black Laced One, Feb 16, 2005.

  1. I have recently networked my computer with my daughter's computer so that
    we could both be connected to the internet at the same time.
    We both have XP home, we are connected through a hub and my computer is
    set up to be the host. We are able to share files, share the printer and we
    can both connect to the internet... for a time. It seems to be fine until I
    do a shutdown and restart on my computer.
    This is the problem: After shutting down, my computer forgets the
    settings of being the host computer. When I try to connect through my ISP,
    MSN, my computer freezes and I have to manually reboot. It is also at this
    time that the network icon on the task bar shows that there are "limitations
    of connectivity". There is the repair option when right clicking this icon,
    but it only tells me that it couldn't be repaired and that I should contact
    my network administrator.
    Also, after doing the shutdown, if I go into IE and look on the connection
    tab, there is nothing listed under, "Dial-up and Virtual Private Networking
    settings." (This has only been since networking our computers.)
    The only way that I am able to resolve this problem is to connect to MSN
    through the "Forgot password" option on my connection window. Once
    connected through that, I can close the windows without going through the
    process of changing my password. I just exit out of both windows and remain
    connected to the internet.
    After doing that, I then can see MSN listed in IE as the default
    connection, but I have to run the networking wizard again for printer
    sharing and internet access, file sharing doesn't seem to be affected. I
    also have to check each box for access through the firewall for my
    daughter's computer. (For local area connection 2.)
    I have searched for help on this subject, but I haven't been able to find
    anything specific to my problem. I'm not even sure this would be a
    networking problem, because that all works fine when it's configured. It's
    more a problem with my computer not retaining the settings as being the host
    computer, but I don't know why that would happen or more importantly, how to
    fix it.
    Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
    PJ
     
    The Black Laced One, Feb 16, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. The Black Laced One

    doS Guest

    "The Black Laced One" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I have recently networked my computer with my daughter's computer so

    that
    > we could both be connected to the internet at the same time.
    > We both have XP home, we are connected through a hub


    I didn't know you were married.
     
    doS, Feb 16, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. doS wrote:
    > "The Black Laced One" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    >> I have recently networked my computer with my daughter's computer
    >> so that we could both be connected to the internet at the same time.
    >> We both have XP home, we are connected through a hub

    >
    > I didn't know you were married.


    I'm not married... :-?
    PJ
     
    The Black Laced One, Feb 16, 2005
    #3
  4. The Black Laced One

    doS Guest

    "through a hub"

    "The Black Laced One" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > doS wrote:
    > > "The Black Laced One" <> wrote in message
    > > news:...
    > >> I have recently networked my computer with my daughter's computer
    > >> so that we could both be connected to the internet at the same time.
    > >> We both have XP home, we are connected through a hub

    > >
    > > I didn't know you were married.

    >
    > I'm not married... :-?
    > PJ
    >
    >
     
    doS, Feb 16, 2005
    #4
  5. Yeah, I got your lame joke after I sent my reply...
    PJ :p

    doS wrote:
    > "through a hub"
    >
    > "The Black Laced One" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    >> doS wrote:
    >>> "The Black Laced One" <> wrote in message
    >>> news:...
    >>>> I have recently networked my computer with my daughter's computer
    >>>> so that we could both be connected to the internet at the same
    >>>> time. We both have XP home, we are connected through a hub
    >>>
    >>> I didn't know you were married.

    >>
    >> I'm not married... :-?
    >> PJ
     
    The Black Laced One, Feb 16, 2005
    #5
  6. If anyone is interested, I have figured out the problem.
    Under MSN's properties there is an option to allow other network users to
    control or disable the shared internet connection. Unchecking that option
    has resolved my problem.
    A simple fix, but it took me most of the day to figure it out. I have now
    earned the title of Network Administrator, at least on our network. lol
    PJ

    The Black Laced One wrote:
    > I have recently networked my computer with my daughter's computer so
    > that we could both be connected to the internet at the same time.
    > We both have XP home, we are connected through a hub and my computer
    > is set up to be the host. We are able to share files, share the
    > printer and we can both connect to the internet... for a time. It
    > seems to be fine until I do a shutdown and restart on my computer.
    > This is the problem: After shutting down, my computer forgets the
    > settings of being the host computer. When I try to connect through
    > my ISP, MSN, my computer freezes and I have to manually reboot. It
    > is also at this time that the network icon on the task bar shows that
    > there are "limitations of connectivity". There is the repair option
    > when right clicking this icon, but it only tells me that it couldn't
    > be repaired and that I should contact my network administrator.
    > Also, after doing the shutdown, if I go into IE and look on the
    > connection tab, there is nothing listed under, "Dial-up and Virtual
    > Private Networking settings." (This has only been since networking
    > our computers.) The only way that I am able to resolve this problem
    > is to connect to MSN through the "Forgot password" option on my
    > connection window. Once connected through that, I can close the
    > windows without going through the process of changing my password. I
    > just exit out of both windows and remain connected to the internet.
    > After doing that, I then can see MSN listed in IE as the default
    > connection, but I have to run the networking wizard again for printer
    > sharing and internet access, file sharing doesn't seem to be
    > affected. I also have to check each box for access through the
    > firewall for my daughter's computer. (For local area connection 2.)
    > I have searched for help on this subject, but I haven't been able to
    > find anything specific to my problem. I'm not even sure this would
    > be a networking problem, because that all works fine when it's
    > configured. It's more a problem with my computer not retaining the
    > settings as being the host computer, but I don't know why that would
    > happen or more importantly, how to fix it.
    > Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
    > PJ
     
    The Black Laced One, Feb 16, 2005
    #6
  7. The Black Laced One

    Patz Guest

    The Black Laced One wrote:
    > If anyone is interested, I have figured out the problem.
    > Under MSN's properties there is an option to allow other network users to
    > control or disable the shared internet connection. Unchecking that option
    > has resolved my problem.
    > A simple fix, but it took me most of the day to figure it out. I have now
    > earned the title of Network Administrator, at least on our network. lol
    > PJ
    >
    > The Black Laced One wrote:
    >
    >> I have recently networked my computer with my daughter's computer so
    >>that we could both be connected to the internet at the same time.
    >> We both have XP home, we are connected through a hub and my computer
    >>is set up to be the host. We are able to share files, share the
    >>printer and we can both connect to the internet... for a time. It
    >>seems to be fine until I do a shutdown and restart on my computer.
    >> This is the problem: After shutting down, my computer forgets the
    >>settings of being the host computer. When I try to connect through
    >>my ISP, MSN, my computer freezes and I have to manually reboot. It
    >>is also at this time that the network icon on the task bar shows that
    >>there are "limitations of connectivity". There is the repair option
    >>when right clicking this icon, but it only tells me that it couldn't
    >>be repaired and that I should contact my network administrator.
    >> Also, after doing the shutdown, if I go into IE and look on the
    >>connection tab, there is nothing listed under, "Dial-up and Virtual
    >>Private Networking settings." (This has only been since networking
    >> our computers.) The only way that I am able to resolve this problem
    >>is to connect to MSN through the "Forgot password" option on my
    >>connection window. Once connected through that, I can close the
    >>windows without going through the process of changing my password. I
    >>just exit out of both windows and remain connected to the internet.
    >> After doing that, I then can see MSN listed in IE as the default
    >>connection, but I have to run the networking wizard again for printer
    >>sharing and internet access, file sharing doesn't seem to be
    >>affected. I also have to check each box for access through the
    >>firewall for my daughter's computer. (For local area connection 2.)
    >> I have searched for help on this subject, but I haven't been able to
    >>find anything specific to my problem. I'm not even sure this would
    >>be a networking problem, because that all works fine when it's
    >>configured. It's more a problem with my computer not retaining the
    >>settings as being the host computer, but I don't know why that would
    >>happen or more importantly, how to fix it.
    >> Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
    >> PJ

    >
    >
    >

    Hey PJ,

    Thatz gr8... nice to knw something new... never thought of that stuff b4..

    koolz...
     
    Patz, Feb 16, 2005
    #7
  8. The Black Laced One

    doS Guest

    "The Black Laced One" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > If anyone is interested,


    I am, you have my unperverted attention.


    I have figured out the problem.

    Me too, we live too far apart.Come over here.


    > Under MSN's properties there is an option to allow other network users

    to
    > control or disable the shared internet connection.


    I'd love to share your connection.


    Unchecking that option
    > has resolved my problem.
    > A simple fix, but it took me most of the day to figure it out. I have

    now
    > earned the title of Network Administrator, at least on our network. lol
    > PJ
    >
    >
     
    doS, Feb 16, 2005
    #8
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Eddy Malik [MSFT]
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    854
    Eddy Malik [MSFT]
    Mar 22, 2005
  2. =?Utf-8?B?QUJTUE9QVVA=?=

    PROBLEMS WITH NETWORKING - NEW TO NETWORKING

    =?Utf-8?B?QUJTUE9QVVA=?=, Mar 22, 2005, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    635
    =?Utf-8?B?QUJTUE9QVVA=?=
    Mar 23, 2005
  3. barry crowley
    Replies:
    20
    Views:
    1,289
  4. Andy
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    849
  5. elie
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,020
Loading...

Share This Page