    windows XP computer will not recgnise my XP computer too.

    Please Help

    Thanks You
    Imran Khan, Jul 23, 2003

  2. Imran Khan

    Lee Guest

    On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 19:51:20 +0100, "Imran Khan" <>
    had the will to write:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I have 2 computers a cable modem and a network switch/hub. One of my comps.
    >has Windows XP the other has Windows 98 SE. I have connected everything to
    >the network hub including the cable modem.

    the cable modem will not work in a hub you will need a router.
    > The network hub recognises that
    >everything is there but i cannot setup ther networking on my Windows 98 SE
    >computer. It won't find the XP computer and won't go on the internet. I
    >tried the Windows XP network setup but still cannot get it to work. My
    >windows XP computer will not recgnise my XP computer too.

    I have problems in the past networking windows xp and 98se together,
    have you tried assigning static ip addresses to each of the machines?

    >Please Help
    >
    >Thanks You

    ----
    Lee
    Lee, Jul 23, 2003

  3. Imran Khan

    PJB Guest

    "Imran Khan" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have 2 computers a cable modem and a network switch/hub.

    One of my comps.
    > has Windows XP the other has Windows 98 SE. I have

    connected everything to
    > the network hub including the cable modem. The network hub

    recognises that
    > everything is there but i cannot setup ther networking on

    my Windows 98 SE
    > computer. It won't find the XP computer and won't go on

    the internet. I
    > tried the Windows XP network setup but still cannot get it

    to work. My
    > windows XP computer will not recgnise my XP computer too.

    Neither of your pc's will "see" the internet, since you're
    using a hub. Cable modems generally speaking need to "talk"
    to a network card in a pc, with your connection going via a
    hub that isn't possible.

    have a look at www.practicallynetworked.com for further info

    P.
    PJB, Jul 24, 2003
  4. In order to get your computers on the internet you must first setup your pc
    so that it recognizes the path to get to the internet.

    In order to get multiple PC's on the internet you need 1 of 2 things in
    place

    1.) A public IP address on each pc. Since you are using a cable modem, more
    than likely, you modem will issue your pc a "Dynamic IP Address". This
    means that you pc will have all the configuration information that it needs
    to get to the internet. However, you will need to verify with your
    cableproviders technical support team if the cablemodem can issue multiple
    IP Addresses. In your case, more than likely they will say NO and if you
    want multiple addresses, you have to pay an extra fee.....but hey...I could
    be wrong, it doesn't hurt to ask.

    2.) You need to setup NAT (Network Address Translation) on your XP machine.
    Since your having problems with getting things going, I'm going to assume
    that this option would be a little too complex and my fingers are getting
    tired of typing.

    The easiest thing to do, is to plug the cablemodem directly into the pc NIC
    card of one of your systems.

    Oh...I almost forgot, there is the small issue of correct cabling. Your
    cable that came with your modem is a cross-over. This means that you can
    connect two devices directly into each other. If your going through a HUB,
    this cable is the wrong type. You will need a regular CAT-5 cable. Its the
    type of cable that you use to go from your pc to your hub.

    Hope it helps!!

    on your windows 98 pc, right click on the network neighborhood and go to
    properties.

    --
    Jeffrey Edwards
    CNE5,CDE,MCP2k,CCA1.8

    Jeffrey Edwards, Jul 24, 2003
  5. Imran Khan

    Ron Martell Guest

    "Imran Khan" <> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I have 2 computers a cable modem and a network switch/hub. One of my comps.
    >has Windows XP the other has Windows 98 SE. I have connected everything to
    >the network hub including the cable modem. The network hub recognises that
    >everything is there but i cannot setup ther networking on my Windows 98 SE
    >computer. It won't find the XP computer and won't go on the internet. I
    >tried the Windows XP network setup but still cannot get it to work. My
    >windows XP computer will not recgnise my XP computer too.
    >
    >Please Help
    >
    >Thanks You

    Probably I.P. addressing problems

    Simplest method would be to replace the switch/hub with a cable/dsl
    router.

    That way both PCs will be using non-routable addresses in the
    192.168.nnn.nnn range and should be able to see each other, provided
    the workgroup name is the same and the computer names are different.

    You could also use a second network protocol for your local
    networking, such as IPX/SPX or NetBEUI. IPX/SPX comes with XP and can
    be added quite easily. NetBEUI is a bit trickier to install but does
    work okay.

    I used TCP/IP plus NetBEUI when I had a similar networking situation.
    I have since moved to using a router, because I needed additional
    machines to be able to access the Internet.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP