Networking Problem...help me out a bit? :)

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Ian K, Jul 1, 2003.

  1. Ian K

    Ian K Guest

    Heya,

    Thought id ask for your help.

    I have a Linksys BEFSR41 router/switch and have 2 pcs and a laptop
    attached to it. Been working fine and in fact the internet facilities
    on all of em work fine so its not a huge "AAHHH HELP ME!!" sort of
    problem. the thing is, the LAN function doesnt work on them. One
    computer A (windows 98 se) doesnt come up with my computer name in
    Network Neighbourhood, Computer B (win 98 se) does but doesnt see
    anything else and laptop c (win xp home) does see the network and
    internet but doesnt see any other computers. yet all of them have
    internet ok. as far as i know each pc is configured ok, its just that
    the damn things aint talking to each other. oh and i cant access that
    status page of the router, erm 198.162.1.100 or something like that?
    im not by the computer you see but im trying the right number and it
    doesnt connect.

    Any ideas?
    Many thanx,
    Ian.
    Ian K, Jul 1, 2003

  2. Ian K

    derek / nul Guest

    www.ozcableguy.com

    derek / nul, Jul 1, 2003

  3. a windows 98 workstation cannot access ressources from a windows xp
    workstation.

    ¤ iModzCon¢£pt.N£t ¤, Jul 2, 2003
  4. Ian K

    derek / nul Guest

    This very interesting, what am I doing wrong here.

    I am accessing an XP box from 98.

    derek / nul, Jul 2, 2003
  5. Ian K

    derek / nul Guest

    www.ozcableguy.com has all the information you need to enable local networking.
    He covers a lot of different configurations.

    derek / nul, Jul 3, 2003
  6. "Ian K" <> wrote in

    > Thanx for the advice Banana and derek, bit of an update for ya.
    >
    > all 3 machines access the net through the router. the laptop and a
    > computer with 98 both appear on network neighbourhood fine. the
    > computer im using now, doesnt see either of them and doesnt appear on
    > my own network neighbourhood. something wrong with my machine
    > somewhere..... :(
    >
    > this computer accesses the network, the client name appears on the
    > DCHP (i think thats right) table in the router setup screen (i can
    > access that now) tcpip seems ok, set to automically get ip
    > address......i cant think whats wrong. the router sees it, it sees the
    > net, it can ping other computers.......(hmm, i bet this can be pinged
    > too.....havent tried it yet) so, what do you guys think? anything ive
    > missed?
    >
    > Many regards,
    > Ian.
    >
    > "Ian K" <> wrote in message
    >> Heya,
    >>
    >> Thought id ask for your help.
    >>
    >> I have a Linksys BEFSR41 router/switch and have 2 pcs and a laptop
    >> attached to it. Been working fine and in fact the internet facilities
    >> on all of em work fine so its not a huge "AAHHH HELP ME!!" sort of
    >> problem. the thing is, the LAN function doesnt work on them. One
    >> computer A (windows 98 se) doesnt come up with my computer name in
    >> Network Neighbourhood, Computer B (win 98 se) does but doesnt see
    >> anything else and laptop c (win xp home) does see the network and

    <snip>

    Make sure all computers are on the same workgroup.
    Jaime Littlebeaver, Jul 8, 2003