    that's where the problem is. Any ideas on how to get it
    back?

    Thanks

    Geoff, Oct 27, 2005

  2. Geoff

    Marc Guest

    Geoff wrote:
    > Windows XP
    >
    > I cannot access the c drive of my main computer from
    > another, but I can access the other shared drives. If I go
    > into my network places on the main computer and select
    > Entire Network\MSWindows network\ and the mshome workgroup
    > the same thing happens, I get a "not accessible, you do not
    > have permission to access this drive" but the other drives
    > are ok. I reinstalled windows and it worked fine until I
    > installed a program with some dot net stuff on it, I suspect
    > that's where the problem is. Any ideas on how to get it
    > back?
    >
    > Thanks

    Since Windows is probably installed on your C:\ drive, I think this is a
    security measure. If you need some files from that drive you should try
    sharing that specific folder.

    Marc, Oct 27, 2005

  3. Geoff

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Geoff <> wrote in

    > Windows XP
    >
    > I cannot access the c drive of my main computer from
    > another, but I can access the other shared drives. If I go
    > into my network places on the main computer and select
    > Entire Network\MSWindows network\ and the mshome workgroup
    > the same thing happens, I get a "not accessible, you do not
    > have permission to access this drive" but the other drives
    > are ok. I reinstalled windows and it worked fine until I
    > installed a program with some dot net stuff on it, I suspect
    > that's where the problem is. Any ideas on how to get it
    > back?

    Most likely, you're using NTFS on the drive and whatever user-id account
    you're using doesn't have the permissions to access the drive, folder or
    file. Sometimes permissions for accounts that can access a drive, folder
    or file will cancel each other out and one account may supersede all
    other accounts such as your account that has Admin rights full access
    read, write and delete permissions is being circumvented by another
    account on the drive, folder or file like the Everyone account that has
    Read only permissions. So in this case, the Everyone account is going to
    stop writing of a file even though the account you're using has full
    access, as an example. So check the user accounts and their access rights
    on the drive, folder or file for conflicts.

    If you think it's due to a .NET application you have installed, you may
    be you need to give the Machine/ASPNET account full permission for access
    or it's not present on the drive, folder or file.

    You reinstalling XP is NOT going to correct anything as you have some
    kind of user account permissions conflict that is denying access.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Oct 27, 2005
  4. Geoff

    Geoff Guest

    On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 14:44:10 +0200, Marc
    <Marc*dot*hulsebosch*at*gmail*dot*com> wrote:

    >Geoff wrote:
    >> Windows XP
    >>
    >> I cannot access the c drive of my main computer from
    >> another, but I can access the other shared drives. If I go
    >> into my network places on the main computer and select
    >> Entire Network\MSWindows network\ and the mshome workgroup
    >> the same thing happens, I get a "not accessible, you do not
    >> have permission to access this drive" but the other drives
    >> are ok. I reinstalled windows and it worked fine until I
    >> installed a program with some dot net stuff on it, I suspect
    >> that's where the problem is. Any ideas on how to get it
    >> back?
    >>
    >> Thanks

    >Since Windows is probably installed on your C:\ drive, I think this is a
    >security measure. If you need some files from that drive you should try
    >sharing that specific folder.

    Not really the answer I was looking for, the C drive is
    shared at root level and it worked before (Only program
    files not accessible for security). Thanks anyway.

    Geoff

    Geoff, Oct 27, 2005
  5. Geoff

    Geoff Guest

    On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 12:47:45 GMT, Duane Arnold
    <> wrote:

    >Geoff <> wrote in
    >
    >> Windows XP
    >>
    >> I cannot access the c drive of my main computer from
    >> another, but I can access the other shared drives. If I go
    >> into my network places on the main computer and select
    >> Entire Network\MSWindows network\ and the mshome workgroup
    >> the same thing happens, I get a "not accessible, you do not
    >> have permission to access this drive" but the other drives
    >> are ok. I reinstalled windows and it worked fine until I
    >> installed a program with some dot net stuff on it, I suspect
    >> that's where the problem is. Any ideas on how to get it
    >> back?
    >>

    >Most likely, you're using NTFS on the drive and whatever user-id account

    It is NTFS

    >you're using doesn't have the permissions to access the drive, folder or
    >file. Sometimes permissions for accounts that can access a drive, folder
    >or file will cancel each other out and one account may supersede all
    >other accounts such as your account that has Admin rights full access
    >read, write and delete permissions is being circumvented by another
    >account on the drive, folder or file like the Everyone account that has
    >Read only permissions. So in this case, the Everyone account is going to
    >stop writing of a file even though the account you're using has full
    >access, as an example. So check the user accounts and their access rights
    >on the drive, folder or file for conflicts.

    There is just one administrator account. I think there was a
    ..net account when I installed the program but I deleted it
    because I like it to boot straight into windows instead of
    it giving me a menu. Point is, how do I get it back? I just
    reinstalled the program (personal Translator) and it didn't
    put it's user account back.

    >If you think it's due to a .NET application you have installed, you may
    >be you need to give the Machine/ASPNET account full permission for access
    >or it's not present on the drive, folder or file.
    >
    >You reinstalling XP is NOT going to correct anything as you have some
    >kind of user account permissions conflict that is denying access.
    >
    >Duane :)

    Geoff

    Geoff, Oct 27, 2005
  6. Geoff

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Geoff <> wrote in

    > On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 12:47:45 GMT, Duane Arnold
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Geoff <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> Windows XP
    >>>
    >>> I cannot access the c drive of my main computer from
    >>> another, but I can access the other shared drives. If I go
    >>> into my network places on the main computer and select
    >>> Entire Network\MSWindows network\ and the mshome workgroup
    >>> the same thing happens, I get a "not accessible, you do not
    >>> have permission to access this drive" but the other drives
    >>> are ok. I reinstalled windows and it worked fine until I
    >>> installed a program with some dot net stuff on it, I suspect
    >>> that's where the problem is. Any ideas on how to get it
    >>> back?
    >>>

    >>Most likely, you're using NTFS on the drive and whatever user-id
    >>account

    > It is NTFS
    >
    >>you're using doesn't have the permissions to access the drive, folder
    >>or file. Sometimes permissions for accounts that can access a drive,
    >>folder or file will cancel each other out and one account may
    >>supersede all other accounts such as your account that has Admin
    >>rights full access read, write and delete permissions is being
    >>circumvented by another account on the drive, folder or file like the
    >>Everyone account that has Read only permissions. So in this case, the
    >>Everyone account is going to stop writing of a file even though the
    >>account you're using has full access, as an example. So check the user
    >>accounts and their access rights on the drive, folder or file for
    >>conflicts.

    > There is just one administrator account. I think there was a
    > .net account when I installed the program but I deleted it
    > because I like it to boot straight into windows instead of
    > it giving me a menu. Point is, how do I get it back? I just
    > reinstalled the program (personal Translator) and it didn't
    > put it's user account back.

    I suggest that you reinstall the .Net Framework on the machine. That will
    put the ASPNET user account back on the machine. There is more than just
    your Admin account being used on the machine. There is the Everyone
    account most users just ignore but is dangerous and others like the
    System account being used by the O/S. ASPNET is like the O/S's System
    account. You as a user of the machine do not interact with those kinds of
    accounts. The O/S and programs running on the machine use those kinds of
    accounts. ASPNET account you may have to manually set for a directory if
    the installing application is not doing it for you.

    You mau have to uninstall the .Net Framework and the install it again to
    get things right with the ASPNET account, which must be used by any .NET
    application/program.

    I still think you may have a user account conflict with the Everyone
    account that may only have read access for a folder or whatever and
    circumventing all other accounts even the Admin.

    Take not on the accounts in the link like Everyone and Autenticated User.

    http://labmice.techtarget.com/articles/winxpsecuritychecklist.htm

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Oct 27, 2005
  7. Geoff

    Geoff Guest

    On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 14:34:50 GMT, Duane Arnold
    <> wrote:

    >Geoff <> wrote in
    >
    >> On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 12:47:45 GMT, Duane Arnold
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Geoff <> wrote in

    >>>Most likely, you're using NTFS on the drive and whatever user-id
    >>>account

    >> It is NTFS
    >>
    >>>you're using doesn't have the permissions to access the drive, folder
    >>>or file. Sometimes permissions for accounts that can access a drive,
    >>>folder or file will cancel each other out and one account may
    >>>supersede all other accounts such as your account that has Admin
    >>>rights full access read, write and delete permissions is being
    >>>circumvented by another account on the drive, folder or file like the
    >>>Everyone account that has Read only permissions. So in this case, the
    >>>Everyone account is going to stop writing of a file even though the
    >>>account you're using has full access, as an example. So check the user
    >>>accounts and their access rights on the drive, folder or file for
    >>>conflicts.

    >> There is just one administrator account. I think there was a
    >> .net account when I installed the program but I deleted it
    >> because I like it to boot straight into windows instead of
    >> it giving me a menu. Point is, how do I get it back? I just
    >> reinstalled the program (personal Translator) and it didn't
    >> put it's user account back.
    >>

    >I suggest that you reinstall the .Net Framework on the machine. That will
    >put the ASPNET user account back on the machine. There is more than just
    >your Admin account being used on the machine. There is the Everyone
    >account most users just ignore but is dangerous and others like the
    >System account being used by the O/S. ASPNET is like the O/S's System
    >account. You as a user of the machine do not interact with those kinds of
    >accounts. The O/S and programs running on the machine use those kinds of
    >accounts. ASPNET account you may have to manually set for a directory if
    >the installing application is not doing it for you.
    >
    >You mau have to uninstall the .Net Framework and the install it again to
    >get things right with the ASPNET account, which must be used by any .NET
    >application/program.
    >
    >I still think you may have a user account conflict with the Everyone
    >account that may only have read access for a folder or whatever and
    >circumventing all other accounts even the Admin.
    >
    >Take not on the accounts in the link like Everyone and Autenticated User.
    >
    >http://labmice.techtarget.com/articles/winxpsecuritychecklist.htm
    >
    >Duane :)

    Thanks very much for your time, I appreciate it. That gives
    me plenty to work on when I have the opportunity.

    Geoff

    Geoff, Oct 27, 2005