networking (permissoins file share problem )

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Scotech, May 17, 2006.

  1. Scotech

    Scotech Guest

    Im having a newtworking problem , Networking aint my strongest suit.

    I'll try and explain as best as i can and hope that some of the guys on
    here , can help.I have tried everything I can thing off. I got a little
    further but still theres one little part of the jigsaw missing.

    Is it safe to use just the routers firewall ?

    I have 3 pc's networked together pc 1(main/host pc is connected to a
    Linksys Befsx41 cable/dsl firewall / router) and mortorola SB5100
    surfboard cable modem, .theres also a shared printer connected to pc 1.

    pc's 1 & 2 run win xp home (both upraded to latest sp + updates)
    pc 3 has win xp proffesional.
    the workgroup name is the same for all 3
    and i use single word computer names.

    the latest scenario is that all 3 can go on the net , all 3 can use the
    shared printer , all pc's see each other, pc's 2,3 can swap files beteen
    each other no problem.all 3 ping each other ok
    and tracert works.

    but when either pc 2 or 3 try and access pc 1 , the following error
    appears \\pc1\shareddocs is not accessible,you might not have permission
    to use this network resource.contact the adminstrator of the server to
    find out if you have access permissions.
    Not enough server storage space is available to process this command.

    However pc 1 sees pc'2 & 3's shares and can even put files in to them
    and these show on 2 & 3.

    I think theres a sofware setting wrong some where but I just cant find it.

    apart from the router firewall , I turned all other firewalls off
    thinking it was that.
    sometimes I cant even access pc 1' s network share locally the same
    message ap[pears.

    Has anyone got any ideas.

    I have tried , ping , ipconfig , tracert file & print sharing is enabled
    on all pc's , even tried sharing seperate folders on pc 1's drive
    to no avail.

    would appreciate any help

    Rascal

    Try this:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308007>

    Particularly the 'Troubleshooting file and printer sharing' section.
    I tried that and it refered me to the knowledge base

    Many thanks for the link Fred

    I have been trawling through support , but as yet , still not
    cracked it.I did find out (as I suspected)that its pc 1 that has the
    problem via net user guest active:yes and checking the nw setup log,it
    said "old computer name is same as new name not setting". So I tried a
    new network setup with a brand new name , but I get the same error.

    I can search and connect to the other pc s shares via run / explorer
    but I cant access pc 1 locallly or via pc's 2 or 3.

    all the addys seem ok, I can ping every pc to every other pc and the
    print share is fine . Its so frustrating & hard to find that last piece
    of this puzzler

    file & print sharing are on and the share folder with network is on too
    I'll keep lookn

    does anyone know if theres a specific reg key for this error?

    I can send files by putting them into pc 1 & 2 shares

    but I would like to get pc 1's share working properly.

    because I have updated winxp home from servie pack to service pack 1

    the recovery console wont even replace corrupt files.

    anyone know of any article numbers that would help in the knwoledge base

    Rascal

    Scotech, May 17, 2006

  2. Scotech

    Patty Guest

    On Wed, 17 May 2006 12:22:27 GMT, Scotech wrote:

> [...]
    > new network setup with a brand new name , but I get the same error.
    >
    > I can search and connect to the other pc s shares via run / explorer
    > but I cant access pc 1 locallly or via pc's 2 or 3.
    >
    > all the addys seem ok, I can ping every pc to every other pc and the
    > print share is fine . Its so frustrating & hard to find that last piece
    > of this puzzler
    >

    > file & print sharing are on and the share folder with network is on too
    > I'll keep lookn
    >

    > does anyone know if theres a specific reg key for this error?
    >
    > I can send files by putting them into pc 1 & 2 shares
    >
    > but I would like to get pc 1's share working properly.
    >
    > because I have updated winxp home from servie pack to service pack 1
    >
    > the recovery console wont even replace corrupt files.
    >
    > anyone know of any article numbers that would help in the knwoledge base

    You can look up this:

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/814004/

    You can always try changing the share name for the drive or folder you are
    sharing on computer 1 to see if that makes a difference.

    The firewall on the router should make no difference. However, disable the
    windows firewall while you are trying to set things up. You can also
    disable any antivirus software or internet security software temporarily
    while you are trying to set up the sharing as well.

    Good luck.

    Patty

    Patty, May 17, 2006

  3. The internet router will protect your network from internet threats and in
    no way will interfere with host to host communications on your LAN so yes
    you can use just it if you are only worried about internet threats. The
    Windows Firewall or software firewalls can also protect computers on the LAN
    from each other when that is a concern. Since you are using an internet
    router I suggest that you make sure the Windows Firewall is disabled on PC1
    verifying with the command netsh show firewall state to make sure the
    operational mode shows disabled. Also try booting PC1 into Safe Mode with
    networking as part of the troubleshooting process which will bypass most
    startup/logon services and applications that could also be interfering.

    You need to establish basic network connectivity to computer PC1 from your
    other computers before you can access any shares. You said you used ping but
    did not clarify the results. Be sure to try pinging by name and IP address
    as shown by the command ipconfig /all on PC1 which must be on the same
    network as the other computers. The network address is typically the first
    three octets of an IP address in a class C network that most of use use.
    Class C network typically uses 255.255.255.0 as the subnet mask. Therefore
    an IP address of 192.168.1.43 would indicate a network address of
    192.168.1.xxx and the host address would be xxx.xxx.xxx.43. You never want
    to use 0 or 255 as the host IP address. If ping by IP address from another
    computer to PC1 does not work try booting the computer you are pinging from
    into Safe Mode with networking in case you can an application on the client
    PC that is interfering. If you establish ping connectivity then try
    accessing the share using the IP address of PC1 instead of name in case
    there is a name resolution problem as in \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx\shareddocs where
    you use the actual IP address of PC1 instead of xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx. Run the
    command net share on PC1 to verify that it shows the shares you expect as
    being available.

    I see that PC1 is XP Home which means that it can use only simple file
    sharing. Verify that the guest account is active with the command net user
    guest. The share and folder [NTFS] permissions will both need to include the
    everyone group in XP Home. You can boot into Safe Mode, logon as an
    administrator, and then check the folder/NTFS permissions by checking folder
    properties - security. The link below explains this more. Verify that file
    and print sharing is enabled on PC1, that the server service is started as
    shown by services.msc, that netstat -an shows TCP ports 139 and 445 are
    listening, that nbtstat -n shows at least three registered names, and that
    net config server shows that server is active. It would also be a good idea
    to install the support tools from the operating install disk located in the
    support/tools folder and run the support tool netdiag that will run a
    battery of networking related tests and report the results. --- Steve

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308418

    Steven L Umbach, May 17, 2006
  4. Scotech

    Scotech Guest

    Patty wrote:
> [...]
    >>
    >>I can send files by putting them into pc 1 & 2 shares
    >>
    >>but I would like to get pc 1's share working properly.
    >>
    >>because I have updated winxp home from servie pack to service pack 1
    >>
    >>the recovery console wont even replace corrupt files.
    >>
    >>anyone know of any article numbers that would help in the knwoledge base
    >>

    >> Rascal

    > You can look up this:
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/814004/
    >
    > You can always try changing the share name for the drive or folder you are
    > sharing on computer 1 to see if that makes a difference.
    >
    > The firewall on the router should make no difference. However, disable the
    > windows firewall while you are trying to set things up. You can also
    > disable any antivirus software or internet security software temporarily
    > while you are trying to set up the sharing as well.

    Thanks for the reply Patty
    windows firewall is switched off (just the router firewall)

    I think its a permissons issue ( I just cant finds it)

    I have tried renaming the share to avail, also tried resetting the
    network ,I cant get on to pc 1's share , yet I can sit at pc 1 , put
    files into the shares of 2 + 3.

    got to 2 + 2 and see + use the files.

    i can put files into pc 2+3 shares from 2+3 , then goto pc1 and see
    and use them (wierd ,, eh)

    we can all print, go on line.

    I will try the link ,(thanks)

    but I might just back up and wipe pc 1

    I will keep you all posted
    Rascal

    Scotech, May 17, 2006
  5. Scotech

    Scotech Guest

    The internet router will protect your network from internet threats and
    in no way will interfere with host to host communications on your LAN so
    yes you can use just it if you are only worried about internet threats.

    >>>Thats good to know

    The Windows Firewall or software firewalls can also protect computers on
    the LAN from each other when that is a concern. Since you are using an
    internet router I suggest that you make sure the Windows Firewall is
    disabled on PC1

    verifying with the command netsh show firewall state to make sure the
    operational mode shows disabled.

    show helper - shows a list off helper guids ,dll filenames and
    commands.

    Also try booting PC1 into Safe Mode with networking as part of the
    troubleshooting process which will bypass most
    startup/logon services and applications that could also be interfering.

    You need to establish basic network connectivity to computer PC1 from
    your other computers before you can access any shares. You said you used
    ping but did not clarify the results. Be sure to try pinging by name and
    IP address as shown by the command ipconfig /all on PC1 which must be on
    the same network as the other computers.

    192.168.1.x bytes=32 ttl =128
    192.168.1.y bytes=32 ttl =128
    192.168.1.z bytes=32 ttl =128

    The network address is typically the first
    three octets of an IP address in a class C network that most of use use.
    Class C network typically uses 255.255.255.0 as the subnet mask.
    Therefore an IP address of 192.168.1.43 would indicate a network address
    of 192.168.1.xxx and the host address would be xxx.xxx.xxx.43. You never
    want to use 0 or 255 as the host IP address. If ping by IP address from
    another computer to PC1 does not work try booting the computer you are
    pinging from into Safe Mode with networking in case you can an
    application on the client PC that is interfering.

    If you establish ping connectivity then try

    accessing the share using the IP address of PC1 instead of name in case
    there is a name resolution problem as in \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx\shareddocs
    where you use the actual IP address of PC1 instead of xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.

    >>>I got on with this command

    Run the command net share on PC1 to verify that it shows the shares you
    expect as being available.

    I see that PC1 is XP Home which means that it can use only simple file
    sharing. Verify that the guest account is active with the command net
    user guest.

    The share and folder [NTFS] permissions will both need to include the
    everyone group in XP Home. You can boot into Safe Mode, logon as an
    administrator, and then check the folder/NTFS permissions by checking
    folder
    properties - security. The link below explains this more.

    so i cant switch simple file sharing off on pc 1 via the tools
    /options /view

    Verify that file and print sharing is enabled on PC1,

    that the server service is started as shown by services.msc,

    that netstat -an shows TCP ports 139 and 445 are
    listening,

    that nbtstat -n shows at least three registered names,

    and that net config server shows that server is active.

    It would also be a good idea to install the support tools from the
    operating install disk located in the support/tools folder and run the
    support tool netdiag that will run a battery of networking related tests
    and report the results.

    Well done Steve , I got on to Pc 1 from all pcs
    but I think your right about the name issue as afterabout a few hours it
    went back to blocking me out, I also notice that somtimes the share name
    comes up with a capital letter for the first letter on pc 1 now and then.

    so I will go back and try that.I can now go over all the links and try
    again , thanks a lot m8 ,I really appreiate that

    Scotech, May 18, 2006