    1. What type of network card should I buy to install in my other PC?
    2. What type of cable would I need?

    Thanks.
    al, Oct 2, 2004

  2. al

    cowboyz Guest

    al wrote:
    > I have been given a PC running Win2000 that has a builtin network
    > card.
    >
    > Device Manager states that it is a " 3COM 3C918 Integrated Ethernet
    > Controller (3C905B-TX Compatible)". It has a telephone-like socket
    > with 8 pins at the rear.
    >
    > My other PC is using WinXP Pro and has no networking capability.
    >
    > My questions are:
    >
    > 1. What type of network card should I buy to install in my other PC?
    > 2. What type of cable would I need?
    >
    > Thanks.

    you just need a network card. Doesn't need to be anything special. You
    can get them for dirt cheap. Also a crossover cable will get you going if
    it is just PC to PC connection. Adding more PCs will require a hub and then
    you need a slightly different cable but the cards are the same.
    cowboyz, Oct 2, 2004

  3. al

    al Guest

    On Sat, 2 Oct 2004 13:29:38 +1200, "cowboyz" <> wrote:

    >you just need a network card. Doesn't need to be anything special. You
    >can get them for dirt cheap. Also a crossover cable will get you going if
    >it is just PC to PC connection. Adding more PCs will require a hub and then
    >you need a slightly different cable but the cards are the same.

    Any "special" name for the 8 pin telephone-like jack? Will the saleman
    know what I am after if I tell him I just need a network card?

    Thanks for your reply :))
    al, Oct 2, 2004
  4. al

    XPD Guest

    "al" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 2 Oct 2004 13:29:38 +1200, "cowboyz" <> wrote:
    >

    > >you just need a network card. Doesn't need to be anything special.

    You
    > >can get them for dirt cheap. Also a crossover cable will get you going

    if
    > >it is just PC to PC connection. Adding more PCs will require a hub and

    then
    > >you need a slightly different cable but the cards are the same.

    > Any "special" name for the 8 pin telephone-like jack? Will the saleman
    > know what I am after if I tell him I just need a network card?
    >
    > Thanks for your reply :))

    Long as you go to somewhere that has 1/2 a clue then yup they should know
    what u need.... :)

    PC straight to PC = UTP crossover network cable
    PC to HUB = UTP network cable
    XPD, Oct 2, 2004
  5. al

    thing Guest

    al wrote:
    > I have been given a PC running Win2000 that has a builtin network
    > card.
    >
    > Device Manager states that it is a " 3COM 3C918 Integrated Ethernet
    > Controller (3C905B-TX Compatible)". It has a telephone-like socket
    > with 8 pins at the rear.
    >
    > My other PC is using WinXP Pro and has no networking capability.
    >
    > My questions are:
    >
    > 1. What type of network card should I buy to install in my other PC?
    > 2. What type of cable would I need?
    >
    > Thanks.

    DSE PCI card xh7975 $16, 3m crossover cable xh3296 $11 or various
    lengths up to 30metres xh3354.

    regards

    thing
    thing, Oct 2, 2004
  6. al

    Enkidu Guest

    Enkidu, Oct 2, 2004
  7. al

    Harry Guest

    al wrote:

    > I have been given a PC running Win2000 that has a builtin network
    > card.
    >
    > Device Manager states that it is a " 3COM 3C918 Integrated Ethernet
    > Controller (3C905B-TX Compatible)". It has a telephone-like socket
    > with 8 pins at the rear.
    >
    > My other PC is using WinXP Pro and has no networking capability.
    >
    > My questions are:
    >
    > 1. What type of network card should I buy to install in my other PC?

    Any card will be ok.

    > 2. What type of cable would I need?

    A crossover cat5e cable if you don't have a hub.
    Otherwise an ordinary cat5e cable.
    Harry, Oct 2, 2004
  8. al

    <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 2 Oct 2004 13:29:38 +1200, "cowboyz" <> wrote:
    >

    >>you just need a network card. Doesn't need to be anything special. You
    >>can get them for dirt cheap. Also a crossover cable will get you going if
    >>it is just PC to PC connection. Adding more PCs will require a hub and then
    >>you need a slightly different cable but the cards are the same.

    >Any "special" name for the 8 pin telephone-like jack? Will the saleman
    >know what I am after if I tell him I just need a network card?
    >
    >Thanks for your reply :))

    The "telephone-like jack" is going to be an RJ45 socket. To directly
    connect two PCs you will need either a CAT5 crossover cable, or two
    straight CAT5 cables and a crossover CAT5 connector.

    If you want to connect more PCs together, you could buy a cheap hub
    and a straight CAT5 for each PC.

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    Enkidu, Oct 2, 2004
  9. al

    Harry Guest

    al wrote:

    > On Sat, 2 Oct 2004 13:29:38 +1200, "cowboyz" <> wrote:
    >

    >>you just need a network card. Doesn't need to be anything special. You
    >>can get them for dirt cheap. Also a crossover cable will get you going
    >>if
    >>it is just PC to PC connection. Adding more PCs will require a hub and
    >>then you need a slightly different cable but the cards are the same.

    > Any "special" name for the 8 pin telephone-like jack? Will the saleman
    > know what I am after if I tell him I just need a network card?

    The connector is commonly called RJ45.
    RJ45 cat5e crossover cable is all you need.
    Harry, Oct 2, 2004
  10. "al" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 2 Oct 2004 13:29:38 +1200, "cowboyz" <> wrote:
    > Any "special" name for the 8 pin telephone-like jack? Will the saleman
    > know what I am after if I tell him I just need a network card?

    The main thing is just to specify that it is a 10/100 ethernet card and all
    should be fine. I recommend the cards based on one of the Realtek 8139
    chipsets because they are dirt cheap and very easy to set up. You should be
    able to get these at any computer store.

    Andrew Bryson
    http://www.bryson.co.nz
    Andrew Bryson, Oct 2, 2004
  11. al

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 14:27:41 +1200, thing
    <> wrote:

    >al wrote:
    >> I have been given a PC running Win2000 that has a builtin network
    >> card.
    >>
    >> Device Manager states that it is a " 3COM 3C918 Integrated Ethernet
    >> Controller (3C905B-TX Compatible)". It has a telephone-like socket
    >> with 8 pins at the rear.
    >>
    >> My other PC is using WinXP Pro and has no networking capability.
    >>
    >> My questions are:
    >>
    >> 1. What type of network card should I buy to install in my other PC?
    >> 2. What type of cable would I need?
    >>
    >> Thanks.

    >DSE PCI card xh7975 $16, 3m crossover cable xh3296 $11 or various
    >lengths up to 30metres xh3354.

    DSE is quite expensive for network cable, getting it off an online PC retailer
    would be better. The trading hours and availability at DSE are quite handy
    though.
    Craig Shore, Oct 2, 2004
  12. al

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Craig Shore wrote:
    > On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 14:27:41 +1200, thing
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> al wrote:
    >>> I have been given a PC running Win2000 that has a builtin network
    >>> card.
    >>>
    >>> Device Manager states that it is a " 3COM 3C918 Integrated Ethernet
    >>> Controller (3C905B-TX Compatible)". It has a telephone-like socket
    >>> with 8 pins at the rear.
    >>>
    >>> My other PC is using WinXP Pro and has no networking capability.
    >>>
    >>> My questions are:
    >>>
    >>> 1. What type of network card should I buy to install in my other PC?
    >>> 2. What type of cable would I need?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks.

    >> DSE PCI card xh7975 $16, 3m crossover cable xh3296 $11 or various
    >> lengths up to 30metres xh3354.

    > DSE is quite expensive for network cable, getting it off an online PC
    > retailer would be better. The trading hours and availability at DSE
    > are quite handy though.

    And being able to swap it for a longer/shorter one within 7 days if you
    don't damage the packaging too much is also good.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Oct 2, 2004
  13. In article <sVq7d.6207$> in nz.comp on Sat, 2
    Oct 2004 17:21:09 +1200, Andrew Bryson <> says...
    > "al" <> wrote in message
    > > On Sat, 2 Oct 2004 13:29:38 +1200, "cowboyz" <> wrote:
    > > Any "special" name for the 8 pin telephone-like jack? Will the saleman
    > > know what I am after if I tell him I just need a network card?

    > The main thing is just to specify that it is a 10/100 ethernet card and all
    > should be fine. I recommend the cards based on one of the Realtek 8139
    > chipsets because they are dirt cheap and very easy to set up. You should be
    > able to get these at any computer store.

    DSE have them for about $15
    Patrick Dunford, Oct 2, 2004
  14. ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>DSE is quite expensive for network cable, getting it off an online PC
    >>retailer would be better. The trading hours and availability at DSE
    >>are quite handy though.

    > And being able to swap it for a longer/shorter one within 7 days if you
    > don't damage the packaging too much is also good.

    7, I thought it was 14... at least it is at my local.

    they're really good for technology testing too, try it, if it works keep
    it, if not, return it, no questions asked... although it probably helps
    that I spend a fair bit there, and keep a fair bit of what I buy.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 2, 2004
  15. al

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>> DSE is quite expensive for network cable, getting it off an online
    >>> PC retailer would be better. The trading hours and availability at
    >>> DSE are quite handy though.

    >> And being able to swap it for a longer/shorter one within 7 days if
    >> you don't damage the packaging too much is also good.

    > 7, I thought it was 14... at least it is at my local.
    >
    > they're really good for technology testing too, try it, if it works
    > keep it, if not, return it, no questions asked... although it
    > probably helps that I spend a fair bit there, and keep a fair bit of
    > what I buy.

    There seems to be a little disagreement over whether it's 7 or 14 days. The
    guy that served me last time said 7 but as long as it's in 'resellable'
    condition 14. <shrug>.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Oct 2, 2004
  16. al

    tehori Guest

    al <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > I have been given a PC running Win2000 that has a builtin network
    > card.
    >
    > Device Manager states that it is a " 3COM 3C918 Integrated Ethernet
    > Controller (3C905B-TX Compatible)". It has a telephone-like socket
    > with 8 pins at the rear.
    >
    > My other PC is using WinXP Pro and has no networking capability.
    >
    > My questions are:
    >
    > 1. What type of network card should I buy to install in my other PC?
    > 2. What type of cable would I need?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Hi if the cable is not plainly marked as crossover,use a peice of orange
    electrical tape too mark it.Networking 2000 to xp,google,world of windows
    is not bad.
    grumpy old hori
    tehori, Oct 3, 2004
  17. al

    Harry Guest

    tehori wrote:

    > al <> wrote in message
    >> I have been given a PC running Win2000 that has a builtin network
    >> card.
    >>
    >> Device Manager states that it is a " 3COM 3C918 Integrated Ethernet
    >> Controller (3C905B-TX Compatible)". It has a telephone-like socket
    >> with 8 pins at the rear.
    >>
    >> My other PC is using WinXP Pro and has no networking capability.
    >>
    >> My questions are:
    >>
    >> 1. What type of network card should I buy to install in my other PC?
    >> 2. What type of cable would I need?
    >>
    >> Thanks.

    > Hi if the cable is not plainly marked as crossover,use a peice of
    > orange electrical tape too mark it.Networking 2000 to xp,google,world
    > of windows
    > is not bad.
    > grumpy old hori

    Mind you, switches these days auto-sense the polarity so if you
    are using a $50 switch (good idea) then you can use any cable you like.
    Harry, Oct 3, 2004
  18. al

    richard Guest

    Harry wrote:

    > Mind you, switches these days auto-sense the polarity so if you
    > are using a $50 switch (good idea) then you can use any cable you like.

    Polarity correction is different to mdi and mdi-x detection

    Polarity reversal happens when you have the white and solid colours from each
    pair around the wrong way - very easy to do since most wall jacks dont put the
    white/colour markings on them and it seems that every second person has a
    different ordering when crimping plugs on.
    richard, Oct 4, 2004
  19. al

    Harry Guest

    richard wrote:

    > Harry wrote:
    >
    >> Mind you, switches these days auto-sense the polarity so if you
    >> are using a $50 switch (good idea) then you can use any cable you like.

    > Polarity correction is different to mdi and mdi-x detection

    When I said "polarity" I meant crossover or straight.
    Sorry I should have made that clear.

    > Polarity reversal happens when you have the white and solid colours from
    > each pair around the wrong way - very easy to do since most wall jacks
    > dont put the white/colour markings on them and it seems that every second
    > person has a different ordering when crimping plugs on.

    There are only two standard orderings of wires - T568A and T568B.
    I personally haven't seen anyone use any other scheme.
    Harry, Oct 4, 2004
  20. In article <8p78d.9746$> in nz.comp on Mon, 04
    Oct 2004 20:58:57 +1300, richard <> says...
    > Harry wrote:
    >
    > > Mind you, switches these days auto-sense the polarity so if you
    > > are using a $50 switch (good idea) then you can use any cable you like.

    > Polarity correction is different to mdi and mdi-x detection
    >
    > Polarity reversal happens when you have the white and solid colours from each
    > pair around the wrong way - very easy to do since most wall jacks dont put the
    > white/colour markings on them and it seems that every second person has a
    > different ordering when crimping plugs on.

    Well I have seen cables that have the white/colour wires marked as white
    only.
    Patrick Dunford, Oct 5, 2004