Networking Newbie

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Tom C, Dec 6, 2009.

  1. Tom C

    Tom C Guest

    I have 4 computers connected to a Linksys Wireless G router. All 4
    computers have access to the Internet. Looking at My Network Places I see

    Backup Storage on Laptop (External drive connected to the laptop),
    Laptop Primary Storage on Laptop Shared folder on the same laptop
    Public on Laptop (Obvious)
    SharedDocs on UFP (Enterprise) Which is my computer

    So right now, the computer named Thomas is not seen.

    When opening "View workgroup computers, I see the other desktop computer,
    but neither of the laptop computers display. When attempting to access the
    desktop, I get the message Thomas is not accessible. You might not have
    permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this
    server to find out if you have acces permissions. The network path was not
    found. Yet, the laptop computers are not visible in View network
    connections. I have access to them though; weird huh?

    The computer I am attempting to connect to has a Netgear USB wireless
    adapter installed and as I stated before, I can "see" the computer from mine
    through View Network computers, but have absolutely no access to it at all.
    I could not use Windows Wireless zero configuration so had to use the
    Netgear Wireless Assistant to configure it to connect to the Internet. I
    added a new connection, setup sharing and allowed all access to the
    "Everyone" group through the security tab in Windows Explorer. The
    workgroup name is identical on both systems, user names are clear and easy
    to enter. At this time, I have no password on either system (Yeah, I know
    what you're going to say and after I get things working, will set up
    passwords) I can't even ping the computer named Thomas.

    So, got any ideas?

    Tom C, Dec 6, 2009

  2. Tom C

    Danny Kile Guest

    Tom C wrote:
    > I have 4 computers connected to a Linksys Wireless G router. All 4
    > computers have access to the Internet. Looking at My Network Places I see
    >
    > Backup Storage on Laptop (External drive connected to the laptop),
    > Laptop Primary Storage on Laptop Shared folder on the same laptop
    > Public on Laptop (Obvious)
    > SharedDocs on UFP (Enterprise) Which is my computer
    >
    > So right now, the computer named Thomas is not seen.
    >
    > When opening "View workgroup computers, I see the other desktop computer,
    > but neither of the laptop computers display. When attempting to access the
    > desktop, I get the message Thomas is not accessible. You might not have
    > permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this
    > server to find out if you have acces permissions. The network path was not
    > found. Yet, the laptop computers are not visible in View network
    > connections. I have access to them though; weird huh?
    >
    > The computer I am attempting to connect to has a Netgear USB wireless
    > adapter installed and as I stated before, I can "see" the computer from mine
    > through View Network computers, but have absolutely no access to it at all.
    > I could not use Windows Wireless zero configuration so had to use the
    > Netgear Wireless Assistant to configure it to connect to the Internet. I
    > added a new connection, setup sharing and allowed all access to the
    > "Everyone" group through the security tab in Windows Explorer. The
    > workgroup name is identical on both systems, user names are clear and easy
    > to enter. At this time, I have no password on either system (Yeah, I know
    > what you're going to say and after I get things working, will set up
    > passwords) I can't even ping the computer named Thomas.
    >
    > So, got any ideas?

    For starters if you can not ping the computer named Thomas then it must
    have a firewall turned on. You will have to turn it off for testing or
    configure it yo allow other PC on your network to get through. Do this
    and report back.

    Danny,

    Danny Kile, Dec 7, 2009

  3. Tom C

    Tom C Guest

    "Danny Kile" <> wrote in message
    > Tom C wrote:
    >> I have 4 computers connected to a Linksys Wireless G router. All 4
    >> computers have access to the Internet. Looking at My Network Places I
    >> see
    >>
    >> Backup Storage on Laptop (External drive connected to the laptop),
    >> Laptop Primary Storage on Laptop Shared folder on the same laptop
    >> Public on Laptop (Obvious)
    >> SharedDocs on UFP (Enterprise) Which is my computer
    >>
    >> So right now, the computer named Thomas is not seen.
    >>
    >> When opening "View workgroup computers, I see the other desktop computer,
    >> but neither of the laptop computers display. When attempting to access
    >> the
    >> desktop, I get the message Thomas is not accessible. You might not have
    >> permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of
    >> this
    >> server to find out if you have acces permissions. The network path was
    >> not
    >> found. Yet, the laptop computers are not visible in View network
    >> connections. I have access to them though; weird huh?
    >>
    >> The computer I am attempting to connect to has a Netgear USB wireless
    >> adapter installed and as I stated before, I can "see" the computer from
    >> mine
    >> through View Network computers, but have absolutely no access to it at
    >> all.
    >> I could not use Windows Wireless zero configuration so had to use the
    >> Netgear Wireless Assistant to configure it to connect to the Internet. I
    >> added a new connection, setup sharing and allowed all access to the
    >> "Everyone" group through the security tab in Windows Explorer. The
    >> workgroup name is identical on both systems, user names are clear and
    >> easy
    >> to enter. At this time, I have no password on either system (Yeah, I
    >> know
    >> what you're going to say and after I get things working, will set up
    >> passwords) I can't even ping the computer named Thomas.
    >>
    >> So, got any ideas?
    >>

    > For starters if you can not ping the computer named Thomas then it must
    > have a firewall turned on. You will have to turn it off for testing or
    > configure it yo allow other PC on your network to get through. Do this and
    > report back.
    >
    > Danny,

    OK, Yeah, I thought of that too. I checked the firewall settings. The
    only one running was the Windows firewall. I have now completely disabled
    that too, still with the same result.

    Tom C, Dec 7, 2009
  4. Hi
    Firewall instructions.
    Vista File and Printer Sharing-
    Windows XP File Sharing -
    Printer Sharing XP -
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
    When you done Reboot all the Network devices including the Router.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack [MVP-Networking], Dec 7, 2009