    reason to use a software firewall for additional protection. I'm thinking
    that if the hardware firewall stops anything bad from getting in, then I
    wouldn't need to worry about anything getting out without my knowledge.

    RB, Nov 5, 2003

  2. RB

    Leythos Guest

    In article <E_7qb.34922$>,
    says...
    > For those who have DSL with a switch router that also works as a hardware
    > firewall, and networks a couple or three pcs.....is there also a case for

    The router is not a firewall - it used NAT to share your External
    connection with computers on the private side. By default it can't
    possibly know where the external connection should me "mapped" to on the
    internal network, so it blocks those connections.

    It has no real outbound filtering ability, and does not filter against
    attacks - only blockes inbound unless you forward the ports to an
    internal connection.

    > using a software firewall, too? I can see that the software firewall would
    > tell me when something is trying to get out, whereas the hardware firewall
    > blocks only incoming (I think).

    You should install a personal firewall app on the systems as a secondary
    means to protect your computers/network. While it won't get much use, it
    can save.

    > So, I'm new to this networking stuff, and am just wondering if there is any
    > reason to use a software firewall for additional protection. I'm thinking
    > that if the hardware firewall stops anything bad from getting in, then I
    > wouldn't need to worry about anything getting out without my knowledge.

    If you run a good anti-virus application and keep it updated, install
    the service patches for your operating system (Windows Update if a
    Windows system) daily (or a couple times a week) and use the router with
    NAT, you will be mostly safe.

    (Remove 999 to reply to me)

    Leythos, Nov 5, 2003

  3. RB

    Randell D. Guest

    "RB" <> wrote in message
    > For those who have DSL with a switch router that also works as a hardware
    > firewall, and networks a couple or three pcs.....is there also a case for
    > using a software firewall, too? I can see that the software firewall

    would
    > tell me when something is trying to get out, whereas the hardware firewall
    > blocks only incoming (I think).
    >
    > So, I'm new to this networking stuff, and am just wondering if there is

    any
    > reason to use a software firewall for additional protection. I'm thinking
    > that if the hardware firewall stops anything bad from getting in, then I
    > wouldn't need to worry about anything getting out without my knowledge.

    I have a hardware router and Norton Internet Security 2003 software
    anti-virus and firewall on my clients. It will make you a little safer
    insuch that some software firewalls will do packet inspection or at very
    least reduce the number of popups... I don't get many attacks though in a
    single year I have somehow managed to install software that had a trojan in
    it that was not picked up by the antivirus program, but was picked up by the
    firewall...

    Randell D., Nov 5, 2003