    about the WLAN one. I think I actually connected to the WLAN one but can't
    connect to the other, just curious I pay for my bandwidth monthly anyway so
    no advantage to me.
    doobydoobydo, Sep 18, 2006

  2. doobydoobydo

    edgy Guest

    "doobydoobydo" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi
    >
    > Was just wondering when I switch on my laptop, which connects to the
    > internet via my pc, I often get an unsecured network come up, as well as
    > the secured one I set up called, WLAN. Today the network I know is mine
    > (secured), a network called WLAN (unsecured) and yet another unsecured
    > network called BT Voyager 2100 (which is not a piece of equipment I have
    > although I am with BTbroadband) came up.
    >
    > Would these other ones be from the surrounding neighbourhood, how can I
    > tell? I know I haven't set up a network called Bt voyager but not sure
    > about the WLAN one. I think I actually connected to the WLAN one but
    > can't connect to the other, just curious I pay for my bandwidth monthly
    > anyway so no advantage to me.

    probably your neighbour's...just switch off your router, refresh your
    wireless connections and see if WLAN is still there...if it is, it isn't
    you...

    if it disappears, you need to secure your router.
    edgy, Sep 18, 2006

  3. doobydoobydo

    doobydoobydo Guest

    "edgy" <> wrote in message

    > "doobydoobydo" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> Was just wondering when I switch on my laptop, which connects to the
    >> internet via my pc, I often get an unsecured network come up, as well as
    >> the secured one I set up called, WLAN. Today the network I know is mine
    >> (secured), a network called WLAN (unsecured) and yet another unsecured
    >> network called BT Voyager 2100 (which is not a piece of equipment I have
    >> although I am with BTbroadband) came up.
    >>
    >> Would these other ones be from the surrounding neighbourhood, how can I
    >> tell? I know I haven't set up a network called Bt voyager but not sure
    >> about the WLAN one. I think I actually connected to the WLAN one but
    >> can't connect to the other, just curious I pay for my bandwidth monthly
    >> anyway so no advantage to me.
    >>

    > probably your neighbour's...just switch off your router, refresh your
    > wireless connections and see if WLAN is still there...if it is, it isn't
    > you...
    >
    > if it disappears, you need to secure your router.

    My adsl is via a phone line though no router involved. I have a speedtouch
    connnected to the PC the laptop connects wirelessly to this via a network
    card and the PC does have an access point.
    doobydoobydo, Sep 18, 2006
  4. doobydoobydo

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-09-18, doobydoobydo <> wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > Was just wondering when I switch on my laptop, which connects to the
    > internet via my pc, I often get an unsecured network come up, as well as the
    > secured one I set up called, WLAN. Today the network I know is mine
    > (secured), a network called WLAN (unsecured) and yet another unsecured
    > network called BT Voyager 2100 (which is not a piece of equipment I have
    > although I am with BTbroadband) came up.
    >
    > Would these other ones be from the surrounding neighbourhood, how can I
    > tell? I know I haven't set up a network called Bt voyager but not sure
    > about the WLAN one. I think I actually connected to the WLAN one but can't
    > connect to the other, just curious I pay for my bandwidth monthly anyway so
    > no advantage to me.

    The wireless device on your laptop will detect and report all the 'wifi'
    signals it detects, not only the one you intend to use. So if any of your
    near neighbours have a 'wireless' access point on their systems, you will
    be able to see it (unless they've configured it to not identify itself).
    If their security is inadequate then you may even be able to connect to
    the internet via their connection. I can 'see' two or three from my home,
    and dozens in the middle of Leicester Square - some of which are
    intentionally open to being used by anyone who cares to register and pay
    for the service.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Sep 19, 2006
  5. doobydoobydo

    doobydoobydo Guest

    "Whiskers" <> wrote in message

    > The wireless device on your laptop will detect and report all the 'wifi'
    > signals it detects, not only the one you intend to use.
    >
    > --
    > -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    > -- Whiskers
    > -- ~~~~~~~~~~

    Ah, I see thanks. I suppose thinking about it Logically that is the
    roaming part or centrino whatever its called. Otherwise it wouldn't show up
    any "hotspots" (again think thats what it is called) to link up, just didn't
    occur to me it would show up the neighbours wifi as well.

    sheila
    doobydoobydo, Sep 19, 2006
  6. doobydoobydo

    me Guest

    > "Whiskers" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> The wireless device on your laptop will detect and report all the 'wifi'
    >> signals it detects, not only the one you intend to use.
    >>
    >> --
    >> -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    >> -- Whiskers
    >> -- ~~~~~~~~~~

    > Ah, I see thanks. I suppose thinking about it Logically that is the
    > roaming part or centrino whatever its called. Otherwise it wouldn't show
    > up any "hotspots" (again think thats what it is called) to link up, just
    > didn't occur to me it would show up the neighbours wifi as well.
    >
    > sheila

    What do i mean by what do i mean? What do i mean by do,and what do i do by
    mean. And what do i mean by wasting your time like this? Goodnight
    me, Sep 19, 2006
  7. doobydoobydo

    AnonyMouse Guest

    me wrote:
    > "doobydoobydo" <> wrote in message
    >> "Whiskers" <> wrote in message
    >>> The wireless device on your laptop will detect and report all the 'wifi'
    >>> signals it detects, not only the one you intend to use.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    >>> -- Whiskers

    >> Ah, I see thanks. I suppose thinking about it Logically that is the
    >> roaming part or centrino whatever its called. Otherwise it wouldn't show
    >> up any "hotspots" (again think thats what it is called) to link up, just
    >> didn't occur to me it would show up the neighbours wifi as well.
    >>
    >> sheila
    >>

    > What do i mean by what do i mean? What do i mean by do,and what do i do by
    > mean. And what do i mean by wasting your time like this? Goodnight

    Troll-O-Meter is beeping like crazy.
    AnonyMouse, Sep 20, 2006