Networking Laptop

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Sla#s, Dec 17, 2006.

  1. Sla#s

    Sla#s Guest

    Had problems connecting Daughters Laptop to my wireless network.
    In available networks it showed mine and the neighbours ones but unlike the
    neighbours when mine was clicked it did not ask for the password so would
    not connect.
    In the end we got it connected by allowing its MAC address (!)

    But it keeps dropping out even thought signal strength shows as good. When
    she tries to reconnect, network is not shown anymore in the list (but
    neighbours ones do show.)
    Then it reconnects but says it is not connected.
    I have only set wireless network up on the router (Netgear GG834G).
    Currently using WEP (can't use WPA because of old media player - which works
    fine)

    We also wanted to share our Music folders - I have "shared" mine but mine
    does not show up on her machine and hers not on mine.
    Do I have to set up a network connection on my PC (wired to router) as
    well?
    If so does it have it use the same settings as the router ?

    TIA
    Slatts
    Sla#s, Dec 17, 2006