    I'll be happy to help anyone one-on-one to resolve whatever issue you are
    having.

    Carey

    Carey Holzman, Nov 19, 2004

  2. Carey Holzman

    Malke Guest

    Carey Holzman wrote:

    > For free help with your networking problem, email me at
    >

    > I'll be happy to help anyone one-on-one to resolve whatever issue you
    > are having.
    >
    > Carey

    Again, I have to ask you why you are bothering to post to Usenet. Yes,
    you may help one person - I'm sure you do - but by taking the answers
    out of the group you remove the ability for people with the same
    questions to search Google Groups and find the answers. Doing this
    defeats one of the important purposes of Usenet.

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers

    Malke, Nov 19, 2004

  3. I agree. Unfortunately there are certain people who think this is a forum to
    argue and criticize with others offering to help, and the ones seeking help
    get lost in the shuffle.

    So long as their behavior continues, I have no choice but to offer email
    solutions which are interrupted by such unprofessional and inconsiderate
    behavior.

    Thanks for understanding,

    Carey

    Carey Holzman, Nov 19, 2004
  4. Carey Holzman

    rcmbnt Guest

    Carey,
    I have a problem that I hope you may help with. I am posting it here
    instead of emailing you directly so that others who may have this problem
    may also benefit from your experience.

    I have a wireless network set up between a number of computers. All PC are
    running XP and are all sharing an ADSL connection that works beautifully.
    The problem I have is that when trying to connect from 1 pc to another, lets
    say trying to browse from 1 to another using network neighbourhood,
    sometimes I CAN see the other PC other times I CAN NOT see them. Sometimes
    when transferring files between PC's it starts of fine and then just stops.
    With an error message something along the lines of the other PC is no longer
    available. I also sometimes get error messages that say I do not have
    permissions over the work group they are all in. BTW they all use the same
    workgroup.
    But having said all that sometimes it all works beautifully. I also have
    borgchat set up on these PC's, again sometimes they can see each other from
    within borgchat and other times they can not see each other. However they
    can ALWAYS chat with each other.

    My AP is a WAG54G, I am using 64bit WEP, I do not broadcast the SSID, I am
    using Mixed mode for the speed, umm what else, oh MAC address filtering is
    on. I hope this is enough information

    Looking forward to your help
    Rob

    rcmbnt, Nov 20, 2004
  5. Carey Holzman

    Malke Guest

    Carey Holzman wrote:

    > I agree. Unfortunately there are certain people who think this is a
    > forum to argue and criticize with others offering to help, and the
    > ones seeking help get lost in the shuffle.
    >
    > So long as their behavior continues, I have no choice but to offer
    > email solutions which are interrupted by such unprofessional and
    > inconsiderate behavior.

    You "agree"? Then stop offering to fix problems posted here through
    email and keep answers and diagnoses in the newsgroups so all can
    benefit from them. Otherwise, of course you have a choice - don't post
    on Usenet. Find another venue to help people.

    Malke

    Malke, Nov 20, 2004
  6. I do agree. But if others are going to ignore the rules of Usenet and harass
    me relentlessly for helping others, then they leave me no other choice
    (being shooed away is not a choice).

    Once they correct their behavior and obey the Usenet rules, so will I. This
    is simply a REACTION, not a cause.

    In the meantime, I have helped at least 40 people in email (everyone who has
    emailed me has had their problem resolved) this week alone and it is very
    fulfilling.

    Consider that those harassing me would have you believe my fixes don't work,
    are dangerous or will have side effects in the future, and yet after more
    than 15 years of helping people with computers, my help obviously works, no
    one has re-emailed me with any side effects in all those years.

    It's a shame they discourage me from posting, as I would love to share these
    tips with the world and have them archived by Google to help others.

    So, in spite of these people's self-indulged need for approving all postings
    offering help, people are still being helped without that approval.

    I don't like it any more than you do, I assure you. However, I am still
    helping people on Usenet and it is very gratifying and rewarding. I will
    continue to do so because people deserve to be treated with respect and
    dignity, and I'm here to ensure they get that, even if I don't receive it in
    return from the minority of regulars here (ie, 2 people).

    If Usenet policy could be enforced, I wouldn't be harassed as I have been
    and I wouldn't be emailing. Someone just needs to figure out a way on how to
    enforce the rules. Until then, I am going to help people any way I can.

    I'm sorry my helping others displeases you, but if you could imagine what
    it's like to be in my shoes, then you'd certainly understand.

    Carey

    Carey Holzman, Nov 20, 2004
  7. Hi Rob. As previously stated, all help I am offering is in email now.

    If you'd like to discuss this in email, I'd love to help you with it. You
    are certainly welcome to post a copy of the resolution on Usenet so that
    others may benefit. Since the message will have your name on it, it will be
    well received. If it has my name on it, it will be picked apart by two
    people with nothing else better to do.

    Carey

    Carey Holzman, Nov 20, 2004
  8. Carey Holzman

    Malke Guest

    Carey Holzman wrote:

    Please see comments inline:

    > I do agree. But if others are going to ignore the rules of Usenet and
    > harass me relentlessly for helping others, then they leave me no other
    > choice (being shooed away is not a choice).

    I don't see that anyone is harassing you. Being asked to correct and/or
    respond to questions about technical answers is not harassment. Peer
    review of answers is extremely important - we all make mistakes and the
    ultimate goal is, after all, to provide accurate information to
    posters' questions.

    > Once they correct their behavior and obey the Usenet rules, so will I.
    > This is simply a REACTION, not a cause.

    I don't see that Usenet rules are being broken by anyone but you. Again,
    taking answers to private email and out of Usenet removes those answers
    from all public search databases. If this is continually done - as you
    are doing - it will eventually destroy the newsgroup's value.

    > In the meantime, I have helped at least 40 people in email (everyone
    > who has emailed me has had their problem resolved) this week alone and
    > it is very fulfilling.

    I'm glad you're feeling fulfilled, but Usenet is not about only
    fulfilling one's emotional needs. A technical newsgroup is about
    helping other people - both immediately and in the future.

    > Consider that those harassing me would have you believe my fixes don't
    > work, are dangerous or will have side effects in the future, and yet
    > after more than 15 years of helping people with computers, my help
    > obviously works, no one has re-emailed me with any side effects in all
    > those years.

    Again, I don't see that having peer review of technical responses is
    harassment. If you choose to support people via email that's great, but
    it is not appropriate or desirable to do this from Usenet. Post on
    messageboards or offer email support via a personal webpage instead.

    > It's a shame they discourage me from posting, as I would love to share
    > these tips with the world and have them archived by Google to help
    > others.

    No one is discouraging you from posting. You are being asked to stop
    taking answers to questions posted here to private email for the
    reasons detailed above. If you continue to do so, I can only assume
    that you are not the helpful altruistic person you present yourself as
    but instead actively desire to devalue these newsgroups.

    Malke

    Malke, Nov 20, 2004
  9. Do what you have to do and I'll do what I have to do.

    Carey Holzman, Nov 20, 2004
  10. How did this feud begin, anyhow? Sometimes it helps to get bad feelings out
    in the open, thus opening up the path to forgiveness.....

    Queve Tientoo, Nov 20, 2004
  11. Carey Holzman

    Pavel A. Guest

    Just in case... have you seen Google Answers?
    It's exactly for one to one help
    http://google.com/answers/

    Pavel A., Nov 20, 2004
  12. Just minding my own business helping people on the forums. Apparently
    without MVP approval of suggested fixes, there is verbal abuse and
    criticism.

    No good deed goes unpunished. I never said anything about the people who are
    currently making the demands and accusations to me. They just decided it was
    time to pick on me and attempt to force me to obey them.

    Carey Holzman, Nov 20, 2004
  13. That costs money...

    Carey Holzman, Nov 21, 2004