Networking / DSL / Internet Problems. Please Help!

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =\(8\), Jun 6, 2007.

  1. =\(8\)

    =\(8\) Guest

    Hello,

    I am desperate need of some networking help. I recently purchased a Linksys
    WRT54G Wireless router to use with two desktop computers (One Windows Vista
    Ultimate and One Windows XP Home) I have both desktop systems connected to
    the router using wires. I have my notebook computer connected wirelessly as
    well as my AppleTV unit connected wirelessly. This is why I bought the
    wireless router for the notebook and Apple TV. The notebook has Windows
    Vista Home Premium on it.

    The problem I am having is that after booting up and doing some work on my
    desktop computer and then leaving for awhile, when I come back the network
    connection has dropped to limited connectivity and no internet access. Also,
    the notebook and Apple TV can't connect to the internet either. I have
    checked with my ISP and they have no problems reaching the DSL modem so this
    indicates that I have a problem at my end. If I unplug the router and plug
    it back in everything clears up and I again have internet access.

    So I don't know if it is my computers that are doing something that is
    causing the network to get messed up or if it is the router. I have tried to
    pay attention to what my computer does when I am away and the only thing I
    can think of is the power save functions. I have looked for everything I can
    find dealing with power save and the network card and have turned it off. I
    am waiting now to see if the problem is corrected. If it still happens I don't
    know what to do. I don't know much about networking, etc.

    Any suggestions? Please!

    =(8)

    =\(8\), Jun 6, 2007

  2. Hi

    All computers disconnect, or only the Wireless? Is it disconnecting from
    Internet or Internet, and LAN too?

    Disconnect three of the computers and start with one Wire computer that is
    know to work well. Check carefully the settings in the Router.

    If the computer does not work, well with the Router try it on the Modem
    directly. If it works on the Modem, you might have faulty Router.

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jun 6, 2007

  3. =\(8\)

    =\(8\) Guest

    > Hi
    >
    > All computers disconnect, or only the Wireless? Is it disconnecting from
    > Internet or Internet, and LAN too?
    >
    > Disconnect three of the computers and start with one Wire computer that is
    > know to work well. Check carefully the settings in the Router.
    >
    > If the computer does not work, well with the Router try it on the Modem
    > directly. If it works on the Modem, you might have faulty Router.
    >
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >

    > "=(8)" <> wrote in message
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I am desperate need of some networking help. I recently purchased a
    >> Linksys WRT54G Wireless router to use with two desktop computers (One
    >> Windows Vista Ultimate and One Windows XP Home) I have both desktop
    >> systems connected to the router using wires. I have my notebook computer
    >> connected wirelessly as well as my AppleTV unit connected wirelessly.
    >> This is why I bought the wireless router for the notebook and Apple TV.
    >> The notebook has Windows Vista Home Premium on it.
    >>
    >> The problem I am having is that after booting up and doing some work on
    >> my desktop computer and then leaving for awhile, when I come back the
    >> network connection has dropped to limited connectivity and no internet
    >> access. Also, the notebook and Apple TV can't connect to the internet
    >> either. I have checked with my ISP and they have no problems reaching the
    >> DSL modem so this indicates that I have a problem at my end. If I unplug
    >> the router and plug it back in everything clears up and I again have
    >> internet access.
    >>
    >> So I don't know if it is my computers that are doing something that is
    >> causing the network to get messed up or if it is the router. I have tried
    >> to pay attention to what my computer does when I am away and the only
    >> thing I can think of is the power save functions. I have looked for
    >> everything I can find dealing with power save and the network card and
    >> have turned it off. I am waiting now to see if the problem is corrected.
    >> If it still happens I don't know what to do. I don't know much about
    >> networking, etc.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions? Please!
    >>
    >> =(8)

    Alls I know is that Windows reports limited connectivity. Sometimes I have a
    yellow triangle between the I guess router and computer and an X between the
    computer and internet in the network sharing center in Vista. I did a search
    in Windows for anything dealing with power management and networking/LAN and
    found that there was a setting that caused the adapter in my computer (the
    desktops and laptop) that would have it lower the speed to save power. I
    have turned these off last night and so far no more problems.

    =(8)

    =\(8\), Jun 6, 2007