    laptop it searches for but does not find any printers on the network. I
    must be missing a setting but could not find the answer on Microsoft's
    support site. Any ideas what I'm forgetting to do. Thanks.
    Nirenberg, David, Oct 1, 2004

  2. Nirenberg, David

    Jamco Guest

    on the laptop type in \\computername in internet explorer
    it should bring up all the shares on your computer including printers, find
    the printer and double click on it, and it should add it to your laptop

    Jamco, Oct 1, 2004

  3. Nirenberg, David

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Nirenberg, David" <> wrote in

    > I have a desktop and a laptop each using XP home. The desktop has a
    > printer attached. I would like to have my laptop be able to send
    > documents to the desktop printer wirelessly. I have a router (D-Link)
    > that gets the Internet to the laptop and I have set the printer to
    > share on the desktop under control panel/printers and faxes/the
    > specific printer. My firewall (sygate) on the desktop says that it
    > will allow file sharing. The firewall on the laptop (Norton) is a
    > little hard to understand but I turned it off so its not the problem.
    > When I go to the printer and faxes/add printer on the laptop it
    > searches for but does not find any printers on the network. I must be
    > missing a setting but could not find the answer on Microsoft's support
    > site. Any ideas what I'm forgetting to do. Thanks.

    You should drop the FW(s) on both machines, since you're behind a router
    and the machines are protected from the Internet by the router. Sygate
    may still be blocking the ports the Windows Networking Ports. You should
    test the setup without the FW on the machine to make sure things work
    before enabling the FW. You may need to configure the FW to allow traffic
    on the WNP(s), which should be a auto setting on most personal FW(s) like
    Sygate or you could do it yourself by setting the rules to allow the
    traffic.

    The link may help too.

    http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/guidshrh.htm

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Oct 1, 2004
    ns9575AF3A6AF36notmenotmecom@63.240.76.16:

    --
    I'm out of sick days, so I'm calling in dead.
    Martin O'Brien, Oct 1, 2004