    on, on the hub, and I've run through the setup home network wizard on WinXP.
    Where do I go to check that file sharing is enabled, and any other potential
    problems?

    Slamadatan, Aug 4, 2003

  2. Slamadatan

    Osprey Guest

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > http://www.wown.com/
    > http://www.practicallynetworked.com/
    >

    > On Mon, 4 Aug 2003 14:55:46 +1000, in
    > <3f2de75e$0$23608$>
    > Slamadatan scrawled:
    >
    > >Can anyone point me to a checklist for setting up a basic network

    connection
    > >between 2 pcs in XP?
    > >
    > >I've got a PC which I connect to the net via an ADSL modem which connects

    > >a NIC. I assumed that I could just use that nic to run some CAT 5
    > >(non-crossover) to a hub and onto a 2nd PC to share files. However, I

    can't
    > >see each PC from the other one, even though network connection lights are
    > >on, on the hub, and I've run through the setup home network wizard on

    WinXP.
    > >Where do I go to check that file sharing is enabled, and any other

    potential
    > >problems?
    > >

    > --
    > Basic computer maintenance

    Where's the Info on that link to his problem? I can't see one, unless I've
    missed it!

    Osprey, Aug 4, 2003

  3. Slamadatan

    °Mike° Guest

    °Mike°, Aug 4, 2003
  4. Slamadatan

    Tom Guest

    Hey Slamadatan,

    It is better if you were to use a router instead of a modem. The router
    comes with easy to
    follow instruction on how to configure it.

    But, if you do not wish to purchase the router. Then you can use a (cross
    over cable) and connect to the
    computer nic card directly. Set up the computer that is connected to the
    DSL for (Internet Sharing)

    Good Luck

    Tom

    Tom, Aug 4, 2003
  5. Slamadatan

    Osprey Guest

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 4 Aug 2003 08:05:54 +0100, in
    > <bgl0l3$oni$>
    > Osprey scrawled:
    >

    > >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > >> http://www.wown.com/
    > >> http://www.practicallynetworked.com/
    > >>

    > <snip>
    >
    > >Where's the Info on that link to his problem? I can't see one, unless

    I've
    > >missed it!

    > Which link?

    Sorry missed them saw your sig though! Top posted missed 'em, I'm used to B
    Posts;-)

    Osprey, Aug 4, 2003
  6. Slamadatan

    Tom Terry Guest

    Go to My computer and use Search to look for Computers or people and
    designate the name you gave for the other PC...it may take a few seconds
    but it should work. XP loses other PC's on the network occasionally for
    no reason.

    Tom Terry, Aug 4, 2003
  7. Slamadatan

    Steve Knight Guest

    On Mon, 4 Aug 2003 00:10:22 -0700, "Tom" <> wrote:

    >Hey Slamadatan,
    >
    >It is better if you were to use a router instead of a modem. The router
    >comes with easy to
    >follow instruction on how to configure it.

    I agree a router really makes it easy. just make sure you have the same name for
    the network run the network setup wizard and your done.

    --
    Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

    Steve Knight, Aug 4, 2003
  8. Slamadatan