networking basics 101

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by mickey, Aug 14, 2006.

  1. mickey

    mickey Guest

    Well I consider myself a pretty competent computer user (dip in
    multimedia). . . But networking always gets me.

    Two computers at home. Connected to a router. ipconfig settings below.
    Weeks ago I had them both working together sharing printers etc
    beautifully. Now. Nothing.

    KITCHEN
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.1.1.7
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.0.0.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.1.1.2

    MICHAEL
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.1.1.5
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.0.0.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.1.1.1

    Both set up exactly the same with network set up wizard. Both using
    WinXP Pro SP2. Both on Mshome and setup to connect to the network
    through a hub/router.

    Theres probably a few solutions, and I have attempted a google search
    and used good old MS Help to no avail.

    Any help / suggestions much appreciated!
    mickey, Aug 14, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. mickey

    Mike Easter Guest

    mickey wrote:

    > Two computers at home. Connected to a router. ipconfig settings below.


    These aren't things you usually have to set by 'hand' but here's how
    they usually look:

    > KITCHEN
    > Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    > IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.1.1.7
    > Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.0.0.0


    That is usually 255.255.255.0

    > Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.1.1.2


    That is typically the router's 'internal' IP which is the same for both,
    in this configuration I would think it would be 10.1.1.1 like Michael.
    Mine is 192.168.1.1 for everything.

    > MICHAEL
    > Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    > IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.1.1.5


    That and the kitchen's were assigned by the router, different from
    kitchen, fine.

    > Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.0.0.0


    There's that funky subnet mask again.

    > Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.1.1.1


    That's what I would expect for both.

    Can you look at the router's information with a browser IP address like
    http://192.168.1.1 or http://10.1.1.1 ?

    What is the brand/model of the router?

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Aug 14, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. mickey

    mickey Guest

    mickey wrote:
    > Well I consider myself a pretty competent computer user (dip in
    > multimedia). . . But networking always gets me.
    >
    > Two computers at home. Connected to a router. ipconfig settings below.
    > Weeks ago I had them both working together sharing printers etc
    > beautifully. Now. Nothing.
    >
    > KITCHEN
    > Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    > IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.1.1.7
    > Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.0.0.0
    > Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.1.1.2
    >
    > MICHAEL
    > Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    > IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.1.1.5
    > Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.0.0.0
    > Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.1.1.1
    >
    > Both set up exactly the same with network set up wizard. Both using
    > WinXP Pro SP2. Both on Mshome and setup to connect to the network
    > through a hub/router.
    >
    > Theres probably a few solutions, and I have attempted a google search
    > and used good old MS Help to no avail.
    >
    > Any help / suggestions much appreciated!


    Uninstall Windows Live OneCare, and Windows Live Defender and it all
    works fine. . Fun.
    mickey, Aug 14, 2006
    #3
  4. mickey

    why? Guest

    On 14 Aug 2006 09:18:51 -0700, mickey wrote:

    www.google.com
    Results 1 - 10 of about 9,000,000 for networking basics 101. (0.23
    seconds)

    >Well I consider myself a pretty competent computer user (dip in
    >multimedia). . . But networking always gets me.
    >
    >Two computers at home. Connected to a router. ipconfig settings below.
    >Weeks ago I had them both working together sharing printers etc
    >beautifully. Now. Nothing.
    >
    >KITCHEN
    > Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    > IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.1.1.7
    > Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.0.0.0
    > Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.1.1.2
    >
    >MICHAEL
    > Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    > IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.1.1.5
    > Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.0.0.0
    > Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.1.1.1
    >
    >Both set up exactly the same with network set up wizard. Both using


    If they are connected to 1 router, why 2 different default gateways?

    Network Wizard, rubbish.

    Me
    why?, Aug 14, 2006
    #4
  5. mickey

    Guest

    Are these settings automaticly obtained?

    If not, go to your TCP/IP settings, and choose the option automaticly obtain
    IP-address settings.

    If they are automaticly obtained, you should try going to your TCP/IP
    settings and fill in the following info's there (on the Kitchen computer):

    IP: Address: 10.1.1.7
    Subnet mask: 255.0.0.0
    Default gateway: 10.1.1.1


    I think you did fill in the info's yourself. This, because you have 2
    differend gateway's on only 1 router. That is kinda odd.

    It is also odd that you have A-class router settings for a home computer. I
    assume your router has like 4 ports, so your ip address should be
    192.168.0.xxx and your gateway 255.255.255.0, default gateway:
    192.168.0.254, atleast something in that area.

    Are you also certain both computers are in the same workgroup?
    , Aug 14, 2006
    #5
  6. mickey

    Dave Taylor Guest

    wrote in
    news:a6058$44e0ad7b$52d9bf5f$:

    > It is also odd that you have A-class router settings for a home
    > computer. I
    >


    I have seen this when the customer has a telecom ADSL modem providing DHCP
    and one layer of NAT. They seem to default to 10.1.1.x



    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Aug 14, 2006
    #6
  7. mickey

    EMB Guest

    Dave Taylor wrote:
    > wrote in
    > news:a6058$44e0ad7b$52d9bf5f$:
    >
    >> It is also odd that you have A-class router settings for a home
    >> computer. I
    >>

    >
    > I have seen this when the customer has a telecom ADSL modem providing DHCP
    > and one layer of NAT. They seem to default to 10.1.1.x


    Yep - the dlink routers seem to do that


    --
    EMB
    EMB, Aug 14, 2006
    #7
  8. mickey

    Enkidu Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > mickey wrote:
    >
    >> Two computers at home. Connected to a router. ipconfig settings
    >> below.

    >
    > These aren't things you usually have to set by 'hand' but here's how
    > they usually look:
    >
    >> KITCHEN Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : IP Address. . . . . . .
    >> . . . . . : 10.1.1.7 Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.0.0.0

    >
    > That is usually 255.255.255.0
    >

    Nothing wrong with that netmask. It just makes his potential network,
    um, HUGE! The NMs just have to be the same across all devices (including
    the router).

    The default gateways should probably be the same, as you said, but I
    can't see anything wrong there.

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    Enkidu, Aug 14, 2006
    #8
  9. mickey

    Enkidu Guest

    wrote:
    > Are these settings automaticly obtained?
    >
    > If not, go to your TCP/IP settings, and choose the option automaticly obtain
    > IP-address settings.
    >
    > If they are automaticly obtained, you should try going to your TCP/IP
    > settings and fill in the following info's there (on the Kitchen computer):
    >
    > IP: Address: 10.1.1.7
    > Subnet mask: 255.0.0.0
    > Default gateway: 10.1.1.1
    >
    >
    > I think you did fill in the info's yourself. This, because you have 2
    > differend gateway's on only 1 router. That is kinda odd.
    >
    > It is also odd that you have A-class router settings for a home computer. I
    > assume your router has like 4 ports, so your ip address should be
    > 192.168.0.xxx and your gateway 255.255.255.0, default gateway:
    > 192.168.0.254, atleast something in that area.
    >

    Shouldn't make any difference.

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    Enkidu, Aug 14, 2006
    #9
  10. In article <>,
    says...
    >
    > Any help / suggestions much appreciated!
    >


    WWW.WOWN.COM

    scroll down the page 'til you get to the heading "Articles and Tutorials"

    It's the most complete kit for getting your windows network up and running.

    -Peter

    --
    =========================================
    firstname dot lastname at gmail fullstop com
    Peter Huebner, Aug 15, 2006
    #10
  11. mickey

    ProfGene Guest

    mickey wrote:
    > Well I consider myself a pretty competent computer user (dip in
    > multimedia). . . But networking always gets me.
    >
    > Two computers at home. Connected to a router. ipconfig settings below.
    > Weeks ago I had them both working together sharing printers etc
    > beautifully. Now. Nothing.
    >
    > KITCHEN
    > Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    > IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.1.1.7
    > Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.0.0.0
    > Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.1.1.2
    >
    > MICHAEL
    > Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    > IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.1.1.5
    > Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.0.0.0
    > Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.1.1.1
    >
    > Both set up exactly the same with network set up wizard. Both using
    > WinXP Pro SP2. Both on Mshome and setup to connect to the network
    > through a hub/router.
    >
    > Theres probably a few solutions, and I have attempted a google search
    > and used good old MS Help to no avail.
    >
    > Any help / suggestions much appreciated!
    >

    I only use a rounter for the DSL line for two computers and I do have a
    hub which will connect four computers but with only two computers your
    really don't need either. You can connect them directly and just setup
    file sharing in by uising workgroups for Windows and naming thec
    comoputers. I guess you can also do that if they are online with a
    router but that has nothing to do with the settings you are showing.
    They are so each can be on the internet. For the two computers seeing
    each other its the setting for Workgroups for Windws that is listed as
    file and print sharing for Microsoft Window. The other is called
    Internet Protocol TCP/IP which are the setting so that both computers
    can use the Internet at the same time. So the two issues are seperate
    issues and the settings you are showing are for Internet Protocol not
    file and print sharing.
    ProfGene, Aug 15, 2006
    #11
  12. Between saving the world and having a spot of tea Mike Easter said

    >> KITCHEN
    >> Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    >> IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.1.1.7
    >> Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.0.0.0

    >
    > That is usually 255.255.255.0


    [snip]

    >> Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.0.0.0

    >
    > There's that funky subnet mask again.


    That's actually the right mask for a Class A network. You're obviously
    used to sub netting everything as a Class C network.

    --
    rob singers
    pull finger to reply
    Foemina Erit Ruina Tua
    Robert Singers, Aug 15, 2006
    #12
  13. mickey

    Brendan Guest

    On 14 Aug 2006 09:18:51 -0700, mickey wrote:

    > Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.1.1.2
    > Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.1.1.1


    These two should be the same for you. The exact address it should be is
    unknown at this point as you have not given enough info.

    If you have one of those nasty little shit dlink routers from Telecom etc,
    they give you one address for ethernet connections, and one for USB
    connections.

    You are probably using the USB for one computer, and the ethernet for the
    other. It should work. Bet it doesn't though - you are using one of those
    nasty, shitty dlink modems.

    It's possible it's not a dlink, but something equally useless.

    Solution: buy a ethernet hub/router, and connect your computers all to this
    hub, and connect the hub to the modem.
    Better solution: buy a new modem with built in ethernet router.
    Fit ethernet to all your computers if they not have it already. Set the TCP
    settings to use DHCP on each comp.

    --

    .... Brendan

    #258908 +(6877)- [X]

    <Ben174> : If they only realized 90% of the overtime they pay me is only
    cause i like staying here playing with Kazaa when the bandwidth picks up
    after hours.
    <ChrisLMB> : If any of my employees did that they'd be fired instantly.
    <Ben174> : Where u work?
    <ChrisLMB> : I'm the CTO at LowerMyBills.com
    *** Ben174 () Quit (Leaving)


    Note: All my comments are copyright 15/08/2006 11:28:50 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.
    Brendan, Aug 15, 2006
    #13
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Silverstrand

    SCSI Hard Drive Basics

    Silverstrand, Aug 10, 2005, in forum: Front Page News
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    607
    Silverstrand
    Aug 10, 2005
  2. Silverstrand

    Computer Memory Basics

    Silverstrand, Aug 23, 2005, in forum: Front Page News
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    629
    PUTALE
    Aug 23, 2005
  3. Peer networking basics

    , Mar 22, 2007, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    426
    dilberts_left_nut
    Mar 26, 2007
  4. mickey

    networking basics 101

    mickey, Aug 14, 2006, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    14
    Views:
    455
    Anony Mouse
    Aug 18, 2006
  5. Peer networking basics

    , Mar 22, 2007, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    40
    Views:
    840
    dilberts_left_nut
    Mar 26, 2007
Loading...

Share This Page