Networking and Internet Set up

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Mike, Jan 10, 2005.

  1. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Hello there

    I have a complicated one.

    All machines involved are running XP Pro SP2.

    On the ground floor of my house, I have a Verizon DSL modem which is
    connected to a D-Link router. The router in turn feeds internet via-cable
    one computer on the ground floor as well.

    From the router I also four other cables running up to four different rooms
    up-stairs. In one of the four rooms up-stairs, there is another D-Link
    router, this one wireless to split the internet connection via-cable between
    a desktop (cable) and a laptop (wireless).

    I am interested in isolating this one room. From the cable coming from the
    router downstairs, I am getting the internet feed. Other than that I would
    like to the desktop and the laptop to be networked and connected to the
    internet but totally closed to any access from the other computers in the
    house.

    At present, for the desktop and the laptop, I have created a network with
    another name than the default 'WORKGROUP'. This should prevent other
    computers in the house from 'seeing' the desktop and the laptop. Am I right
    or is there a way to insure this?

    I have also set the wireless router with 128 Bit WEP encryption, changed the
    name of the wireless network (I picked a different name from the network
    between the desktop and the laptop) and disabled the SSDI broadcasting.
    Is this enough to ensure no one can access my wireless connection and the
    network? What can be done to insure this?

    Sorry about the length of this post. Hope it is clear and thank you in
    advance for you help.

    Mike, Jan 10, 2005

  2. Mike,

    Your problem is not uncommon, but you could have explained it in a way that
    excluded some details.
    However, you have some part of your network which you wish to isolate from
    the other part. These parts are connected via
    a D-Link router/bridge.

    Your solution for the wirless latop is sufficient; but hidding the beacon
    does not give you more security. Setting up a distinct
    network with a distinct key is the best you can do, really. This will only
    prevent that machine from connecting to the other wireless network

    Now, for this network in general, which these two computers attached, you
    have a slightly different problem. You don't want them to see the other
    computers.
    In the D-Link administration page, you should be able to configure the
    firewall. You may be able to list each machine and specify that there will
    be no allowed access from any machine from this network to any machine in
    the other networks, except for the machine which serves as the router. The
    firewall rules might look something like this:
    Rule #1: Allow All Traffic To Internet Gateway Device
    Rule #2: Deny All Traffic that does not meet Rule #1

    You'll need to be a little network saavy to do this with the D-Link
    administration utility, but between trying using this utility and testing
    connectivity with the "ping" utility, you should be able to see whether or
    not you have really created a firewalled region.

    Brian

    --
    Brian Wehrle

    Software Test Engineer/Wireless Networking
    Microsoft Corp.

    Brian Wehrle [MSFT], Jan 10, 2005

  3. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Thank you for your reply Brian. Yes you are right, I suppose I am too
    anal...
    As for your suggestions, I am not sure I am following. It's already too
    technical for me when it comes to ping!

    However to clarify, the part of the network I wish to isolate comprises a
    wireless router connected to two computers (one of them being a wireless
    laptop). That router gets an internet connection from a primary router
    (which is connected to the Verizon DSL modem) which is not wireless.

    The computer I would like to isolate should be closed to external eyes. I am
    not as much interested in disabling those two computers from seeing the
    other computers on the rest of the network.

    Thank you in advance for any additional thoughts you may have Brian.

    Mike, Jan 12, 2005