    192.168.1.1 and 192.168.15.1 conected to it with 2 computers on 1.1 and
    another 2 computers on 15.1 how do i file share between the 2 networks
    with all comuters runing xp pro?

    Psy, Jan 29, 2006

  2. Psy

    PC Guest

    "Psy" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I have 4 computers on 2 diffrent networks that are conected to each
    > other set up like this. Modem -->router 192.168.23.1 that has router
    > 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.15.1 conected to it with 2 computers on 1.1 and
    > another 2 computers on 15.1 how do i file share between the 2 networks
    > with all comuters runing xp pro?

    Am not able to decypher your description, but the usual way to do it would
    be:

    Either
    Put them all in the same mask space.
    i.e. 192.168.1.x
    Where x is any number from 2 to 254
    Mask should = 255.255.255.0 (which essentially means the first three groups
    of numbers are the same, just look at the last group (octet))
    e.g.
    Router 192.168.1.1 (Routers usually take this address)
    PC1 192.168.1.10
    PC2 192.168.1.20
    PC3 192.168.1.30
    PC4 192.168.1.40

    or

    If the Router has DHCP, turn it on and let it issue TCP/IP address's to the
    PC's as required.
    This automatically puts them in the same mask space.

    Note
    On top of this you have to be in the same 'Workgroup' and to allow any
    firewalls to pass traffic on these address's.

    Cheers
    Paul.

    PC, Jan 29, 2006

  3. Psy

    Tony Guest

    "Psy" <> wrote in message
    >I have 4 computers on 2 diffrent networks that are conected to each
    > other set up like this. Modem -->router 192.168.23.1 that has router
    > 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.15.1 conected to it with 2 computers on 1.1 and
    > another 2 computers on 15.1 how do i file share between the 2 networks
    > with all comuters runing xp pro?

    It won't work. The idea of a router is stop traffic being seeing any of the
    local network the otherside of it. If the routers have more than 1 Lan
    port, only use the LAN ports on the two you are using for the networks (in
    effect, use them as switches which are what you really need) You should
    then have them all on the same subnet e.g. 192.168.23.x.

    You will in effect have Modem connected to WAN port of 192.168.23.1

    LAN ports of 192.168.23.1 connected to the LAN ports of the other two
    routers (use uplink ports on one end unless the ports auto detect cable
    type) . PC's/Laptops plugged into the LAN ports of the two routers - I'd
    switch on DHCP for 192.168.23.1 and set all PC's and Laptops to get IP
    address automatically.

    Tony, Jan 29, 2006
  4. Psy wrote:

    I have 4 computers on 2 diffrent networks that are conected to each
    >192.168.1.1 and 192.168.15.1 conected to it with 2 computers on 1.1 and
    >another 2 computers on 15.1 how do i file share between the 2 networks
    >with all comuters runing xp pro?

    What do you think machines have to do with your problem?

    Liza Smorgaborgsson, Jan 30, 2006
  5. Re: Re: Networking and file sharing

    PC wrote:

    >Am not able to decypher your description, but the usual way to do it would
    >be:
    >
    >Either
    >Put them all in the same mask space.
    >i.e. 192.168.1.x
    >Where x is any number from 2 to 254
    >Mask should = 255.255.255.0 (which essentially means the first three groups
    >of numbers are the same, just look at the last group (octet))
    >e.g.
    >Router 192.168.1.1 (Routers usually take this address)
    >PC1 192.168.1.10
    >PC2 192.168.1.20
    >PC3 192.168.1.30
    >PC4 192.168.1.40
    >
    >or
    >
    >If the Router has DHCP, turn it on and let it issue TCP/IP address's to the
    >PC's as required.
    >This automatically puts them in the same mask space.
    >

    >Note
    >On top of this you have to be in the same 'Workgroup' and to allow any
    >firewalls to pass traffic on these address's.
    >
    >Cheers
    >Paul.

    What resemblence do you see?

    Liza Smorgaborgsson, Jan 30, 2006
  6. Re: Re: Networking and file sharing

    Tony wrote:

    >It won't work. The idea of a router is stop traffic being seeing any of the
    >local network the otherside of it. If the routers have more than 1 Lan
    >port, only use the LAN ports on the two you are using for the networks (in
    >effect, use them as switches which are what you really need) You should
    >then have them all on the same subnet e.g. 192.168.23.x.
    >
    >You will in effect have Modem connected to WAN port of 192.168.23.1
    >
    >LAN ports of 192.168.23.1 connected to the LAN ports of the other two
    >routers (use uplink ports on one end unless the ports auto detect cable
    >type) . PC's/Laptops plugged into the LAN ports of the two routers - I'd
    >switch on DHCP for 192.168.23.1 and set all PC's and Laptops to get IP
    >address automatically.

    What is the connection, do you suppose?

    Liza Smorgaborgsson, Jan 30, 2006
  7. Psy

    AGEE Guest

    On 29 Jan 2006 13:25:33 -0800, "Psy" <> wrote:

    >I have 4 computers on 2 diffrent networks that are conected to each
    >other set up like this. Modem -->router 192.168.23.1 that has router
    >192.168.1.1 and 192.168.15.1 conected to it with 2 computers on 1.1 and
    >another 2 computers on 15.1 how do i file share between the 2 networks
    >with all comuters runing xp pro?

    Try putting all your PCs/ routers on address 192.168.2.xxx.
    Router connected to the modem set as gateway.

    Should work. I have a similar system spread over 2 buildings and have
    no problems in sharing files even though the lan in each building is
    connected to a different router for net access.

    AGEE, Jan 30, 2006
  8. Re: Re: Networking and file sharing

    AGEE wrote:

    >Try putting all your PCs/ routers on address 192.168.2.xxx.
    >Router connected to the modem set as gateway.
    >
    >Should work. I have a similar system spread over 2 buildings and have
    >no problems in sharing files even though the lan in each building is
    >connected to a different router for net access.

    Really, my PCs/ routers on address 192?

    Liza Smorgaborgsson, Jan 30, 2006
  9. Re: Re: Re: Networking and file sharing

    Elizavita Chirkova, Jan 30, 2006
  10. Re: Re: Re: Re: Networking and file sharing

    Elizavita Chirkova wrote:

    Liza Smorgaborgsson wrote:

    >AGEE wrote:
    >
    >Your PCs/ routers on address 192?

    Are you worried about someone else's PCs/ routers on address 192?

    Elizavita Chirkova, Jan 30, 2006
  11. Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Networking and file sharing

    Elizavita Chirkova wrote:

    Elizavita Chirkova wrote:

    >Liza Smorgaborgsson wrote:
    >
    >Are you worried about someone else's PCs/ routers on address 192?

    Oh, I worried about someone else's PCs/ routers on address 192?

    Elizavita Chirkova, Jan 30, 2006
  12. Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Networking and file sharing

    Elizavita Chirkova wrote:

    Elizavita Chirkova wrote:

    >Elizavita Chirkova wrote:
    >
    >Oh, I worried about someone else's PCs/ routers on address 192?

    Do you say you worried about someone else's PCs/ routers on address 192 for some special reason?

    Elizavita Chirkova, Jan 30, 2006
  13. Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Networking and file sharing

    Elizavita Chirkova wrote:

    Elizavita Chirkova wrote:

    >Elizavita Chirkova wrote:
    >
    >Do you say you worried about someone else's PCs/ routers on address 192 for some special reason?

    We were discussing you -- not me.

    Elizavita Chirkova, Jan 30, 2006
  14. Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Networking and file sharing

    Elizavita Chirkova wrote:

    Elizavita Chirkova wrote:

    I'm not sure I understand you fully.

    Elizavita Chirkova, Jan 30, 2006
  15. Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Networking and file sharing

    Elizavita Chirkova wrote:

    Elizavita Chirkova wrote:

    >Elizavita Chirkova wrote:
    >
    >I'm not sure I understand you fully.

    What are your feelings now?

    Elizavita Chirkova, Jan 30, 2006
  16. Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Networking and file sharing

    Elizavita Chirkova wrote:

    Elizavita Chirkova wrote:

    >Elizavita Chirkova wrote:
    >
    >What are your feelings now?

    What comes to mind when you ask that?

    Elizavita Chirkova, Jan 30, 2006
  17. Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Networking and file sharing

    Elizavita Chirkova, Jan 30, 2006
  18. Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Networking and file sharing

    Elizavita Chirkova wrote:

    Elizavita Chirkova wrote:

    >Elizavita Chirkova wrote:
    >
    >What are your feelings now?

    What is it you really want to know?

    Elizavita Chirkova, Jan 30, 2006
  19. Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Networking and file sharing

    Elizavita Chirkova wrote:

    Elizavita Chirkova wrote:

    >Elizavita Chirkova wrote:
    >
    >What is it you really want to know?

    You're not really talking about me -- are you?

    Elizavita Chirkova, Jan 30, 2006
  20. Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Networking and file sharing

    Elizavita Chirkova wrote:

    Elizavita Chirkova wrote:

    Please go on.

    Elizavita Chirkova, Jan 30, 2006