Networking and File Sharing Problems

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by ColTom2, Nov 21, 2008.

  1. ColTom2

    ColTom2 Guest

    Hi:

    I have a Sony desktop with Linksys wireless router BEFW1154 and Toshiba
    laptop with Linksys Adapter. Everything was fine until today when I went to
    check File Sharing with the desktop and it did not show sharing the two
    folders (My Documents & Local folder) for my laptop. I can check the File
    Sharing with the laptop and it shows these same two folders on my desktop
    which I also have file sharing with no problems. Both these folders on both
    computers have File Sharing settings.

    In trying to correct this I might have added a further problem. I still
    can connect with both computers to my cable ISP Comcast with no problems.
    However, on the desktop it now shows for Local Area Connection Connected,
    Firewalled and Device Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection. On my laptop
    it shows Local Area Connection, Network Cable Unplugged. Device Realtek
    RTL8139/810x Family Fast Internet NIC. Previously I am sure that my desktop
    showed the Device the same as my laptop (Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast
    Internet NIC), but now different devices are shown.

    In addition, previously I had only one Local Area Connection icon showing
    in my laptop with no red X and now I have two icons showing one with the rex
    X and the other without.

    One other item of note is that my laptop now shows Wireless Network
    Connection (2) and Device Wireless-G Notebook Adapter (2). I don't recall it
    indicating the (2) like it's a reinstall etc?

    Hopefully someone can get me straightened out again.

    Thanks,

    ColTom2

    ColTom2, Nov 21, 2008

  2. Hi
    The number tow does not indicate two connections. It is just a form of ID.
    Many modern Desktops have two Network card (usually onboard), and most
    Laptop have Wire and Wireless Network cards.
    It is hard to know which one you relate to.
    This might help to find the reason for the trouble.
    http://www.ezlan.net/debug.html
    http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Nov 21, 2008

  3. ColTom2

    ColTom2 Guest

    Hi:

    I solved the Network Connection double icon problem in the Taskbar by
    disabling LAN.

    However, I still cannot share laptop folders with desktop, but can share
    desktop folders with laptop. Hopefully someone has an answer to this.
    Previously I could share these folders with both desktop and laptop without
    any problems.

    Help!

    ColTom2, Nov 21, 2008
  4. ColTom2

    Jim Guest

    "ColTom2" <> wrote in message
    > Hi:
    >
    > I solved the Network Connection double icon problem in the Taskbar by
    > disabling LAN.
    >
    > However, I still cannot share laptop folders with desktop, but can share
    > desktop folders with laptop. Hopefully someone has an answer to this.
    > Previously I could share these folders with both desktop and laptop
    > without
    > any problems.
    >
    > Help!

    > Hi
    > The number tow does not indicate two connections. It is just a form of ID.
    > Many modern Desktops have two Network card (usually onboard), and most
    > Laptop have Wire and Wireless Network cards.
    > It is hard to know which one you relate to.
    > This might help to find the reason for the trouble.
    > http://www.ezlan.net/debug.html
    > http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
    > Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
    >

    > "ColTom2" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi:
    >>
    >> I have a Sony desktop with Linksys wireless router BEFW1154 and Toshiba
    >> laptop with Linksys Adapter. Everything was fine until today when I went
    >> check File Sharing with the desktop and it did not show sharing the two
    >> folders (My Documents & Local folder) for my laptop. I can check the File
    >> Sharing with the laptop and it shows these same two folders on my desktop
    >> which I also have file sharing with no problems. Both these folders on
    >> both
    >> computers have File Sharing settings.
    >>
    >> In trying to correct this I might have added a further problem. I still
    >> can connect with both computers to my cable ISP Comcast with no problems.
    >> However, on the desktop it now shows for Local Area Connection Connected,
    >> Firewalled and Device Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection. On my
    >> laptop
    >> it shows Local Area Connection, Network Cable Unplugged. Device Realtek
    >> RTL8139/810x Family Fast Internet NIC. Previously I am sure that my
    >> desktop
    >> showed the Device the same as my laptop (Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast
    >> Internet NIC), but now different devices are shown.
    >>
    >> In addition, previously I had only one Local Area Connection icon
    >> showing
    >> in my laptop with no red X and now I have two icons showing one with the
    >> rex
    >> X and the other without.
    >>
    >> One other item of note is that my laptop now shows Wireless Network
    >> Connection (2) and Device Wireless-G Notebook Adapter (2). I don't recall
    >> it
    >> indicating the (2) like it's a reinstall etc?
    >>
    >> Hopefully someone can get me straightened out again.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> ColTom2

    Can the desktop ping the laptop?
    Jim

    Jim, Nov 22, 2008
  5. ColTom2

    ColTom2 Guest

    Hi Jim:

    Would you be so kind as to tell me how to get the desktop to ping my
    laptop.

    Thanks

    "Jim" <> wrote in message

    ColTom2, Nov 22, 2008
  6. ColTom2

    ColTom2 Guest

    Hi Jim:

    Yes I can ping my laptop from my desktop. I have messed with so much today
    that my head is all turned around. Any more suggestions?

    Thanks

    "Jim" <> wrote in message

    ColTom2, Nov 22, 2008