Networking an old DOS Box...

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Montgomery BOO...URNS, Aug 13, 2004.

  1. Hello!

    I'm just curious as to what would be the best way to interconnect two
    computers that my parents own.

    My mother has a Pentium 3, 500Mhz system and my Dad has a very old Vendex
    Headstart computer that has an old 8086 processor with the old 5 1/2" floppy
    drives. He uses it mainly for word processing and typing tutor programs. I
    have been asked about a dozen times when I've visited them if there was any
    way possible to transfer the files from the old DOS Box to the P3 system.
    The answer was always the same and that was the best way was to swap disks
    but the problem with that is the 5-1/2 drive is something that is of the
    past and the P3 doesn't have such a drive and they're hard to locate
    anymore.

    Anyway, my question is what would be the best way to interconnect the two
    computers? Is it possible? Would I need a router, or would it be best just
    to do a direct connection with a crossover cable? What hardware could I buy
    NOW to make this possible? Would I need to locate some sort of software to
    install on the DOS Box that would configure a TCP/IP connection?

    TIA for any and all input!

    D.C.

    Montgomery BOO...URNS, Aug 13, 2004

  2. Montgomery BOO...URNS

    colin Guest

    http://www.infonewsindia.com/pinout/interlinkdatatransfer.htm

    P3: interlnk.exe<----laplink cable---->intersvr.exe:8086

    colin, Aug 13, 2004

  3. Montgomery BOO...URNS

    Wizard Guest

    Use "LapLink" with the appropriate cross over cables.

    Wizard, Aug 13, 2004
  4. Montgomery BOO...URNS

    Art Leonard Guest

    Montgomery BOO...URNS wrote:

    > Hello!
    >
    > I'm just curious as to what would be the best way to interconnect two
    > computers that my parents own.
    >
    > My mother has a Pentium 3, 500Mhz system and my Dad has a very old Vendex
    > Headstart computer that has an old 8086 processor with the old 5 1/2" floppy
    > drives. He uses it mainly for word processing and typing tutor programs. I
    > have been asked about a dozen times when I've visited them if there was any
    > way possible to transfer the files from the old DOS Box to the P3 system.
    > The answer was always the same and that was the best way was to swap disks
    > but the problem with that is the 5-1/2 drive is something that is of the
    > past and the P3 doesn't have such a drive and they're hard to locate
    > anymore.
    >
    > Anyway, my question is what would be the best way to interconnect the two
    > computers? Is it possible? Would I need a router, or would it be best just
    > to do a direct connection with a crossover cable? What hardware could I buy
    > NOW to make this possible? Would I need to locate some sort of software to
    > install on the DOS Box that would configure a TCP/IP connection?
    >
    > TIA for any and all input!
    >
    > D.C.

    Networking the 2 very different boxes would be an adventure! It might
    take more of your time than you would like. There are plenty of free
    programs out there that allow you you to do what you are seeking with a
    simple serial cable, or in the worst case, a null modem adapter for that
    cable (about $4). I seem to remember that there was an old program that
    came with dos 4.0?? that did exactly what you ask. If I am wrong about
    that a quick google search should turn up a suitable program. I have
    done this procedure a few times.. but my last need for it was around 1994.

    Good Luck
    Art Leonard

    Art Leonard, Aug 13, 2004
  5. Montgomery BOO...URNS

    Art Leonard Guest

    Art Leonard wrote:

    > Montgomery BOO...URNS wrote:
    >
    >> Hello!
    >>
    >> I'm just curious as to what would be the best way to interconnect two
    >> computers that my parents own.
    >>
    >> My mother has a Pentium 3, 500Mhz system and my Dad has a very old Vendex
    >> Headstart computer that has an old 8086 processor with the old 5 1/2"
    >> floppy
    >> drives. He uses it mainly for word processing and typing tutor
    >> programs. I
    >> have been asked about a dozen times when I've visited them if there
    >> was any
    >> way possible to transfer the files from the old DOS Box to the P3 system.
    >> The answer was always the same and that was the best way was to swap
    >> disks
    >> but the problem with that is the 5-1/2 drive is something that is of the
    >> past and the P3 doesn't have such a drive and they're hard to locate
    >> anymore.
    >>
    >> Anyway, my question is what would be the best way to interconnect the two
    >> computers? Is it possible? Would I need a router, or would it be
    >> best just
    >> to do a direct connection with a crossover cable? What hardware could
    >> I buy
    >> NOW to make this possible? Would I need to locate some sort of
    >> software to
    >> install on the DOS Box that would configure a TCP/IP connection?
    >>
    >> TIA for any and all input!
    >>
    >> D.C.
    >>

    > Networking the 2 very different boxes would be an adventure! It might
    > take more of your time than you would like. There are plenty of free
    > programs out there that allow you you to do what you are seeking with a
    > simple serial cable, or in the worst case, a null modem adapter for that
    > cable (about $4). I seem to remember that there was an old program that
    > came with dos 4.0?? that did exactly what you ask. If I am wrong about
    > that a quick google search should turn up a suitable program. I have
    > done this procedure a few times.. but my last need for it was around 1994.
    >
    > Good Luck
    > Art Leonard

    Replying to my own post!! I see now that I have overlooked your 5.25"
    floppy limitation. The dos box probably doesn't even have a hard drive?
    Sounds like an old XT? Seems like your best answer will be to install
    a 5.25 on the newer system. Maybe you can find a sympathetic repair shop
    that would first try to read the old disks to see if they are readable
    on any other drive.

    Art Leonard

    Art Leonard, Aug 13, 2004
  6. Montgomery BOO...URNS

    RedBack Guest

    On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 11:38:49 -0400, "Montgomery BOO...URNS"
    <> wrote:

    >Hello!
    >
    >I'm just curious as to what would be the best way to interconnect two
    >computers that my parents own.
    >
    >My mother has a Pentium 3, 500Mhz system and my Dad has a very old Vendex
    >Headstart computer that has an old 8086 processor with the old 5 1/2" floppy
    >drives. He uses it mainly for word processing and typing tutor programs. I
    >have been asked about a dozen times when I've visited them if there was any
    >way possible to transfer the files from the old DOS Box to the P3 system.
    >The answer was always the same and that was the best way was to swap disks
    >but the problem with that is the 5-1/2 drive is something that is of the
    >past and the P3 doesn't have such a drive and they're hard to locate
    >anymore.
    >
    >Anyway, my question is what would be the best way to interconnect the two
    >computers? Is it possible? Would I need a router, or would it be best just
    >to do a direct connection with a crossover cable? What hardware could I buy
    >NOW to make this possible? Would I need to locate some sort of software to
    >install on the DOS Box that would configure a TCP/IP connection?
    >
    >TIA for any and all input!
    >
    >D.C.

    If you just want to transfer the files/data....I use a parallel data
    cable and fastlynx for dos "FX.EXE" a search on google should find the
    program for you....it works for me :)

    just connect the 2 systems by the DATA parallel cable, put the FX.EXE
    program on a boot disk, boot the 2 machines and transfer whatever you
    want it's GUI so no DOS commands to confuse you.

    RedBack

    RedBack, Aug 14, 2004
  7. Montgomery BOO...URNS

    Hannes Guest

    Art Leonard wrote:

    > Art Leonard wrote:
    >
    >> Montgomery BOO...URNS wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hello!
    >>>
    >>> I'm just curious as to what would be the best way to interconnect two
    >>> computers that my parents own.
    >>>
    >>> My mother has a Pentium 3, 500Mhz system and my Dad has a very old
    >>> Vendex
    >>> Headstart computer that has an old 8086 processor with the old 5 1/2"
    >>> floppy
    >>> drives. He uses it mainly for word processing and typing tutor
    >>> programs. I
    >>> have been asked about a dozen times when I've visited them if there
    >>> was any
    >>> way possible to transfer the files from the old DOS Box to the P3
    >>> system.
    >>> The answer was always the same and that was the best way was to swap
    >>> disks
    >>> but the problem with that is the 5-1/2 drive is something that is of the
    >>> past and the P3 doesn't have such a drive and they're hard to locate
    >>> anymore.
    >>>
    >>> Anyway, my question is what would be the best way to interconnect the
    >>> two
    >>> computers? Is it possible? Would I need a router, or would it be
    >>> best just
    >>> to do a direct connection with a crossover cable? What hardware
    >>> could I buy
    >>> NOW to make this possible? Would I need to locate some sort of
    >>> software to
    >>> install on the DOS Box that would configure a TCP/IP connection?
    >>>
    >>> TIA for any and all input!
    >>>
    >>> D.C.
    >>>

    >> Networking the 2 very different boxes would be an adventure! It might
    >> take more of your time than you would like. There are plenty of free
    >> programs out there that allow you you to do what you are seeking with
    >> a simple serial cable, or in the worst case, a null modem adapter for
    >> that cable (about $4). I seem to remember that there was an old
    >> program that came with dos 4.0?? that did exactly what you ask. If I
    >> am wrong about that a quick google search should turn up a suitable
    >> program. I have done this procedure a few times.. but my last need for
    >> it was around 1994.
    >>
    >> Good Luck
    >> Art Leonard

    > Replying to my own post!! I see now that I have overlooked your 5.25"
    > floppy limitation. The dos box probably doesn't even have a hard drive?
    > Sounds like an old XT? Seems like your best answer will be to install a
    > 5.25 on the newer system. Maybe you can find a sympathetic repair shop
    > that would first try to read the old disks to see if they are readable
    > on any other drive.
    >
    > Art Leonard

    I would take 5.25 flopy drive from old dos box and install it into new
    maschine.

    Hannes

    Hannes, Aug 27, 2004
  8. Montgomery BOO...URNS

    Wizard Guest

    XT's did have hard drives and you could temporarily remove it from the
    old one and install it in the new one in place of the CD drive
    (temporarily), then cut/copy and paste.

    Wizard, Aug 27, 2004
  9. Montgomery BOO...URNS

    Neil Green Guest

    "Wizard" <> wrote in message
    > XT's did have hard drives and you could temporarily remove it from the
    > old one and install it in the new one in place of the CD drive
    > (temporarily), then cut/copy and paste.

    Hard drives in XT /AT boxes weren't IDE and as such any newish machine
    (post 486) won't be able to read them.
    Neil.
    Neil.

    Neil Green, Aug 29, 2004
  10. Montgomery BOO...URNS

    Art Leonard Guest

    Neil Green wrote:
    > "Wizard" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>XT's did have hard drives and you could temporarily remove it from the
    >>old one and install it in the new one in place of the CD drive
    >>(temporarily), then cut/copy and paste.
    >>

    > Hard drives in XT /AT boxes weren't IDE and as such any newish machine
    > (post 486) won't be able to read them.
    > Neil.
    > Neil.

    Absolutely correct, regarding the xt models at least, and in xt machines
    hard drives were certainly not the standard! I remember paying a huge
    amount for a 5Meg hdd for my Compaq "portable", (about 50 pounds and the
    size of a medium suitcase). The hard drive cost twice what the box did.

    Art Leonard

    Art Leonard, Aug 29, 2004
  11. Montgomery BOO...URNS

    Wizard Guest

    If I recall correctly 286's & 386's were IDE, 8086's and 8088's were
    MFM. With some hasstles you can install the MFM controller and drive in
    a newer machine and see those as well.

    Wizard, Aug 29, 2004
  12. Montgomery BOO...URNS

    Neil Green Guest

    "Wizard" <> wrote in message
    > If I recall correctly 286's & 386's were IDE, 8086's and 8088's were
    > MFM. With some hasstles you can install the MFM controller and drive in
    > a newer machine and see those as well.

    Only if you have 8 bit ISA slots in the new machine and they've been
    obsolete for some time now.
    Neil.

    Neil Green, Aug 30, 2004
  13. Montgomery BOO...URNS

    Wizard Guest

    8 bit cards will work in a 16 bit ISA slot, but otherwise you are
    correct, they are gone now.

    Wizard, Aug 30, 2004
  14. Montgomery BOO...URNS

    Neil Green Guest

    And getting the old controllers to work under Win 9x or XP would be
    difficult to say the least, and as for Linux.....
    But you're right Wizard, it'd be fun to try.
    Neil.

    Neil Green, Aug 30, 2004