    since the days of OS7 and the SE/30. I expect there are some changes...
    The Win98 PC in the house is pretty straightfoward.
    Geoff

    Geoff M, Jul 17, 2005

  2. Geoff M

    XPD Guest

    "Geoff M" <> wrote in message
    news:1hv6wjkxhytpk$.1sc5w8bp0ipvs$...
    > My parents are finally joining the 20th century and lookign at getting
    > ADSL
    > or wireless - probably a wireless solution thanks to their phone lines.
    > 1/ Anyone using Wired Country? Any good?

    My mothers business runs off it, and seems to be quite good. Havent had
    anyone from the office ring screaming their internet has gone down :)

    > 2/ Dad has an Imac - one of the original ones, runing MacOS 9. What is
    > involved in networking this - probalby wirelessly. I havne't used a Mac
    > since the days of OS7 and the SE/30. I expect there are some changes...
    > The Win98 PC in the house is pretty straightfoward.
    > Geoff

    Havent had too much to do with networking macs except for dialups, but
    should be fairly straight forward.

    XPD, Jul 17, 2005

  3. In article <1hv6wjkxhytpk$.1sc5w8bp0ipvs$>,
    Geoff M <> wrote:

    > 2/ Dad has an Imac - one of the original ones, runing MacOS 9. What is
    > involved in networking this - probalby wirelessly. I havne't used a Mac
    > since the days of OS7 and the SE/30. I expect there are some changes...
    > The Win98 PC in the house is pretty straightfoward.

    Chuck some RAM* at it and crank it up to OSX Panther.

    I installed OSX on a 600MHz iBook today (admittedly Tiger, but Panther
    is the same in this respect). Without any changes from the original
    installation, I plugged an ethernet cable from my router into it, waited
    about 15 seconds and watched the Network Preferences announce that it
    had successfully connected to the Internet.

    I downloaded and installed the half-dozen or so Undaters required
    without any settings. Couldn't be any more straight-forward than that.

    Actual setting up of the router or wireless connection will be a little
    more complex, but not wildly so, just make sure that DHCP is enabled, so
    that the above Automatic setup works.

    *256 is adequate, more is preferable.
    --

    Chas Right

    Charlie Right, Jul 18, 2005
  4. Geoff M

    thing2 Guest

    Geoff M wrote:
    > My parents are finally joining the 20th century and lookign at getting ADSL
    > or wireless - probably a wireless solution thanks to their phone lines.
    > 1/ Anyone using Wired Country? Any good?
    > 2/ Dad has an Imac - one of the original ones, runing MacOS 9. What is
    > involved in networking this - probalby wirelessly. I havne't used a Mac
    > since the days of OS7 and the SE/30. I expect there are some changes...
    > The Win98 PC in the house is pretty straightfoward.
    > Geoff

    Imacs can be funny with ethernet, we have one, in 9.2.2 only works in 10
    half-duplex, booting to 10.3 only sees it work on 100 half duplex.

    This means when we boot to 9.2.2 we have to move the cat5 cable to a
    hub, and when back into 10.3 we have to swap it back to the
    switch....damn wierd.

    I need to look at 10.4 but I suspect it will now work as 100 full
    duplex.....

    regards

    Thing

    thing2, Jul 18, 2005
  5. Geoff M

    thing2 Guest

    Charlie Right wrote:
    > In article <1hv6wjkxhytpk$.1sc5w8bp0ipvs$>,
    > Geoff M <> wrote:
    >

    >>2/ Dad has an Imac - one of the original ones, runing MacOS 9. What is
    >>involved in networking this - probalby wirelessly. I havne't used a Mac
    >>since the days of OS7 and the SE/30. I expect there are some changes...
    >>The Win98 PC in the house is pretty straightfoward.

    > Chuck some RAM* at it and crank it up to OSX Panther.
    >
    > I installed OSX on a 600MHz iBook today (admittedly Tiger, but Panther
    > is the same in this respect). Without any changes from the original
    > installation, I plugged an ethernet cable from my router into it, waited
    > about 15 seconds and watched the Network Preferences announce that it
    > had successfully connected to the Internet.
    >
    > I downloaded and installed the half-dozen or so Undaters required
    > without any settings. Couldn't be any more straight-forward than that.
    >
    > Actual setting up of the router or wireless connection will be a little
    > more complex, but not wildly so, just make sure that DHCP is enabled, so
    > that the above Automatic setup works.
    >
    > *256 is adequate, more is preferable.

    depends on the cpu.

    We run a G3 500Mhz and it takes 25~35% of the cpu just to run the
    desktop (this is 10.3 and 10.4).

    regards

    thing

    thing2, Jul 18, 2005
  6. Geoff M

    David Preece Guest

    Charlie Right wrote:
    > Chuck some RAM* at it and crank it up to OSX Panther.
    > *256 is adequate, more is preferable.

    256 is barely adequate. I had a bad stick of RAM (non-apple) and have
    just had to drop my PowerBook from 1GB to 512MB. The difference is
    *really* apparent, but only really when under a lot of load.

    As much as you can get into the machine is probably a good guideline.

    Dave

    David Preece, Jul 20, 2005
  7. In article <>,
    David Preece <> wrote:

    >Charlie Right wrote:
    >> Chuck some RAM* at it and crank it up to OSX Panther.
    >> *256 is adequate, more is preferable.

    >256 is barely adequate. I had a bad stick of RAM (non-apple) and have
    >just had to drop my PowerBook from 1GB to 512MB. The difference is
    >*really* apparent, but only really when under a lot of load.

    Previous reviews have indicated that the OS X GUI is _extremely_
    memory-intensive. Lots of offscreen buffers for all the eye candy.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 20, 2005
  8. In article <>,
    thing2 <> wrote:

    > depends on the cpu.
    >
    > We run a G3 500Mhz and it takes 25~35% of the cpu just to run the
    > desktop (this is 10.3 and 10.4).

    Depends on a lot of things. My 1.2GHz iBook, 768MB, currently running
    Tiger, NewsWatcher, Safari, Camino, TextEdit, Activity Monitor, Mail,
    Preview and Palm Desktop occasionally gets as high as 30% User, mostly
    hovering around 10%. System is sucking 1 to 8%.

    My sister runs Panther on a 192MB Bondi Blue iMac for simple email,
    light surfing, bit of AppleWorks and Excel with no particular problems.

    --

    Chas Right

    Charlie Right, Jul 20, 2005
  9. Geoff M

    Bruce Hoult Guest

    In article <>,
    Charlie Right <> wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > thing2 <> wrote:
    >
    > > depends on the cpu.
    > >
    > > We run a G3 500Mhz and it takes 25~35% of the cpu just to run the
    > > desktop (this is 10.3 and 10.4).

    > Depends on a lot of things. My 1.2GHz iBook, 768MB, currently running
    > Tiger, NewsWatcher, Safari, Camino, TextEdit, Activity Monitor, Mail,
    > Preview and Palm Desktop occasionally gets as high as 30% User, mostly
    > hovering around 10%. System is sucking 1 to 8%.
    >
    > My sister runs Panther on a 192MB Bondi Blue iMac for simple email,
    > light surfing, bit of AppleWorks and Excel with no particular problems.

    I have two Macs:

    - a dual 2.0 GHz G5 with 1.5 GB RAM, running Tiger

    - a 300 MHz G3 "PDQ" PowerBook with 320 MB RAM, running Panther (and
    Tiger when I get around to it, since XPostFacto just got updated)

    Obviously the PowerBook is somewhat slower, but it is just *fine* for
    doing email, newsgroups, iChat, IRC, web browsing, word processing,
    spreadsheeting, database, light programming using C/C++/Perl/Python/Ruby
    (suitability depends on what the program I am writing does, rather than
    the compiler speed) using either command line tools & emacs or the
    latest XCode. The G5 is far snappier, but the PowerBook is perfectly
    usable. In fact it's nice enough that my *very* Linux-centric g/f (whho
    is a KDE developer) now has a 450 MHz G3 iMac DV with 640 MB RAM running
    Tiger as her media and communications machine, next to the 3 GHz x86 box
    running KDE.

    The PowerBook normally runs with about 90% idle CPU if it's just sitting
    there, though things such as iTunes will immediately suck up 20% of the
    CPU. But even if it's at 0% idle it still remains very responsive.

    --
    Bruce | 41.1670S | \ spoken | -+-

    Bruce Hoult, Jul 21, 2005