networking 2 pc with a networking hub and 1 internet connection

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by barry crowley, Feb 22, 2004.

  1. does anyone know how to set up a networking with a networking hub and 1
    internet connection. can anyone help me plzzzzzzzzzzz

    barry crowley, Feb 22, 2004

  2. barry crowley

    eric_seal Guest

    Hi Barry,

    Yes.

    But before we tell you, you will have to tell us little things like what
    operating systems are being used on each computer and what internet
    connection you already have (dial-up, broadband).

    Rumour has it, although I have never come across it, that some ISPs prevent
    internet connection sharing, which is what you are going to be doing. If so,
    perhaps someone could tell me which ones do this...

    barry crowley wrote:
    :: does anyone know how to set up a networking with a networking hub
    :: and 1 internet connection. can anyone help me plzzzzzzzzzzz

    ---

    eric_seal, Feb 22, 2004

  3. barry crowley

    °Mike° Guest

    °Mike°, Feb 22, 2004
  4. barry crowley

    Budweiser Guest

    "barry crowley" <> wrote in message
    > does anyone know how to set up a networking with a networking hub and 1
    > internet connection. can anyone help me plzzzzzzzzzzz

    Take large red lead and plug into the 440v socket on the wall.
    Wait for lights to dim--then you know you are up and running.
    Other options can be found here:-
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/hitchhikers/
    The infinate improbability drive (maplin £25.99) looks like a great deal
    There again this:-
    http://www.stud.ntnu.no/~alexann/

    Budweiser, Feb 22, 2004
  5. barry crowley

    Budweiser Guest

    "Budweiser" <> wrote in message

    > "barry crowley" <> wrote in message
    > > does anyone know how to set up a networking with a networking hub and 1
    > > internet connection. can anyone help me plzzzzzzzzzzz
    > >

    > Take large red lead and plug into the 440v socket on the wall.
    > Wait for lights to dim--then you know you are up and running.
    > Other options can be found here:-
    > http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/hitchhikers/
    > The infinate improbability drive (maplin £25.99) looks like a great deal
    > There again this:-
    > http://www.stud.ntnu.no/~alexann/

    Barry --on the assumption you are atleast of an age where you folks will
    allow you to do this
    some links for reading
    http://compnetworking.about.com/cs/basicnetworking/
    http://labmice.techtarget.com/networking/networkbasics.htm
    http://www.blackviper.com/index.html
    http://www.theeldergeek.com/index.htm

    Budweiser, Feb 23, 2004
  6. barry crowley

    ICee Guest

    Budweiser wrote:
    > "barry crowley" <> wrote in message
    >> does anyone know how to set up a networking with a networking hub
    >> and 1 internet connection. can anyone help me plzzzzzzzzzzz
    >>

    > Take large red lead and plug into the 440v socket on the wall.
    > Wait for lights to dim--then you know you are up and running.
    > Other options can be found here:-
    > http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/hitchhikers/
    > The infinate improbability drive (maplin £25.99) looks like a great
    > deal There again this:-
    > http://www.stud.ntnu.no/~alexann/

    I prefer the thermo-fusion chisel myself. Of course, I always keep it
    next to the molecular hyperwave pincer, just in case.

    ICee, Feb 23, 2004
  7. barry crowley

    Budweiser Guest

    "ICee" <> wrote in message
    > Budweiser wrote:
    > > "barry crowley" <> wrote in message
    > >> does anyone know how to set up a networking with a networking hub
    > >> and 1 internet connection. can anyone help me plzzzzzzzzzzz
    > >>

    > > Take large red lead and plug into the 440v socket on the wall.
    > > Wait for lights to dim--then you know you are up and running.
    > > Other options can be found here:-
    > > http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/hitchhikers/
    > > The infinate improbability drive (maplin £25.99) looks like a great
    > > deal There again this:-
    > > http://www.stud.ntnu.no/~alexann/

    > I prefer the thermo-fusion chisel myself. Of course, I always keep it
    > next to the molecular hyperwave pincer, just in case.

    Next time you use that thermo chisel to break into the ship i will set
    marvin to paranoid mode----there again what is the probability of that?

    Budweiser, Feb 23, 2004
  8. barry crowley

    ICee Guest

    Budweiser wrote:
    > "ICee" <> wrote in message
    >> Budweiser wrote:
    >>> "barry crowley" <> wrote in message
    >>>>

    >>> Take large red lead and plug into the 440v socket on the wall.
    >>> Wait for lights to dim--then you know you are up and running.
    >>> Other options can be found here:-
    >>> http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/hitchhikers/
    >>> The infinate improbability drive (maplin £25.99) looks like a great
    >>> deal There again this:-
    >>> http://www.stud.ntnu.no/~alexann/

    >> I prefer the thermo-fusion chisel myself. Of course, I always keep
    >> it next to the molecular hyperwave pincer, just in case.
    >>

    > Next time you use that thermo chisel to break into the ship i will set
    > marvin to paranoid mode----there again what is the probability of
    > that?

    It's a finite improbability dependent on whether Marvin has interfaced
    with Eddie (the Shipboard Computer) to compute the odds.

    ICee, Feb 23, 2004
  9. barry crowley

    eric_seal Guest

    ICee wrote:
    :: Budweiser wrote:
    ::: "ICee" <> wrote in message
    ::: news:...
    :::: Budweiser wrote:
    ::::: "barry crowley" <> wrote in message
    ::::: news:c1bcg1$7k5$...
    :::::: does anyone know how to set up a networking with a networking hub
    :::::: and 1 internet connection. can anyone help me plzzzzzzzzzzz
    ::::::
    ::::::
    ::::: Take large red lead and plug into the 440v socket on the wall.
    ::::: Wait for lights to dim--then you know you are up and running.
    ::::: Other options can be found here:-
    ::::: http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/hitchhikers/
    ::::: The infinate improbability drive (maplin £25.99) looks like a
    ::::: great deal There again this:-
    ::::: http://www.stud.ntnu.no/~alexann/
    ::::
    :::: I prefer the thermo-fusion chisel myself. Of course, I always keep
    :::: it next to the molecular hyperwave pincer, just in case.
    ::::
    ::::
    :::
    ::: Next time you use that thermo chisel to break into the ship i will
    ::: set marvin to paranoid mode----there again what is the probability
    ::: of that?
    ::
    :: It's a finite improbability dependent on whether Marvin has
    :: interfaced with Eddie (the Shipboard Computer) to compute the odds.

    And I hope that you are having a whale of a time...

    ---

    eric_seal, Feb 23, 2004
  10. barry crowley

    ICee Guest

    eric_seal wrote:
    > ICee wrote:

    >>> It's a finite improbability dependent on whether Marvin has
    >>> interfaced with Eddie (the Shipboard Computer) to compute the odds.

    > And I hope that you are having a whale of a time...

    Absolutely! And you can too, for only 30 Altairian dollars per day.*

    *30 Altarian dollars per day is an estimated figure and is provided
    strictly for purposes of comparison. Actual expenses may be higher. **

    ** In fact, we're (tinw're) sure of it. Quite frankly, if you're not
    absolutely prepared to lie, cheat, steal your food, pass rubber checks
    to unsuspecting hotel clerks, hoodwink customs officials, forge
    passports entitling you to diplomatic immunity, utilize bogus student
    and/or elderly identification cards to get yourself into tourist
    attractions at reduced rates, stiff everyone possible on tips and
    otherwise make a mockery of Intergalactic Law, just about the only way
    you're going to get by on 30 Altairians per diem is by staying home and
    camping out in your own backyard.

    ICee, Feb 23, 2004
  11. im windows me on both system and blueyonder broadband

    barry crowley, Feb 23, 2004
  12. barry crowley

    Barry OGrady Guest

    Barry OGrady, Feb 23, 2004
  13. but how i set it up then

    barry crowley, Feb 23, 2004
  14. barry crowley

    Rifleman Guest

    > but how i set it up then
    > "Barry OGrady" <> wrote in message
    > > You don't need the hub.
    > >

    > > -Barry
    > > ========
    > > Web page: http://members.optusnet.com.au/~barry.og
    > > Atheist, radio scanner, LIPD information.

    You need a cross-over cable if you are not going to use a hub.

    Rifleman, Feb 23, 2004
  15. barry crowley

    Dan Shea Guest

    On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 14:06:44 +0000 (UTC), "barry crowley"
    <> wrote:

    >but how i set it up then

    Go here, and read all the tutorials.

    http://www.practicallynetworked.com

    There are several ways of doing this. Pick the one that suits you
    best.

    I would suggest you get a cable/dsl ROUTER (not a hub) with a built-in
    switch, and follow the instructions supplied with this device.

    Cheers,
    dan

    Dan Shea, Feb 23, 2004
  16. barry crowley

    why? Guest

    On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 14:06:44 +0000 (UTC), barry crowley wrote:

    >but how i set it up then

    http://www.by-users.co.uk/

    newsgroup(s)
    - blueyonder.users.self-help
    A group for users to help each other, frequently featuring advice with
    Operating System settings, advice on configuring client software and the
    likes. If you have a problem but it is not a direct blueyonder support
    issue, this is the best place to start.

    - blueyonder.users.self-help.networking
    For users who are wishing to network their Internet connection. This
    group is particularly of use to hi-speed customers who wish to run
    several machines from their cable modem. Home networking, or sharing a
    cable modem, will NOT be supported by blueyonder technical support.
    Although networking isn't supported, it should work fine with the
    technology provided.

    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/
    http://www.helmig.com/
    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/techsupp.html
    http://www.broadband-help.com/cm_networking.asp
    http://www.homenethelp.com/
    http://www.homepcnetwork.com/

    Basic diagrams, different types of setups.
    http://www.dslwebserver.com/main/diagrams.html

    >"Barry OGrady" <> wrote in message
    >> You don't need the hub.

    <snip>

    Me

    why?, Feb 23, 2004
  17. barry crowley

    LDR Guest

    In article <c1bcg1$7k5$>,
    says...
    > does anyone know how to set up a networking with a networking hub and 1
    > internet connection. can anyone help me plzzzzzzzzzzz

    It's even irritating to go through these posts, the ones with the
    wiseguy responses. I'm no guru, but here's what I did and it does work:

    Get a Linksys Wireless -g 2.4 gb router (about $60) and two wireless
    cards. This is the only way I know of that both computers can access the
    internet without two addresses. (Most ISPs, in fact most probably
    everyone) will try to charge you $10 for a second address. The problem I
    had was networking internally both computers because of the flakiness of
    wireless, perhaps because the computers are on different floors. I fixed
    it by hardwiring nonwireless cards to each other. You don't need
    additional hardware. One wire connects to the router, the other to the
    computer itself. Hope this helps.

    LDR, Feb 26, 2004
  18. barry crowley

    Dan Shea Guest

    On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 18:48:38 GMT, LDR
    <> wrote:

    >In article <c1bcg1$7k5$>,
    > says...
    >> does anyone know how to set up a networking with a networking hub and 1
    >> internet connection. can anyone help me plzzzzzzzzzzz

    >It's even irritating to go through these posts, the ones with the
    >wiseguy responses. I'm no guru, but here's what I did and it does work:
    >
    >Get a Linksys Wireless -g 2.4 gb router (about $60) and two wireless
    >cards. This is the only way I know of that both computers can access the
    >internet without two addresses.

    You don't need wireless for this.

    >(Most ISPs, in fact most probably
    >everyone) will try to charge you $10 for a second address. The problem I
    >had was networking internally both computers because of the flakiness of
    >wireless, perhaps because the computers are on different floors. I fixed
    >it by hardwiring nonwireless cards to each other. You don't need
    >additional hardware. One wire connects to the router, the other to the
    >computer itself. Hope this helps.

    Why would you suggest a wireless router and wireless cards if you
    ended up going wired anyways?

    FWIW, if your wireless if flaky, it's going to be flaky for both
    internet access and LAN access. If it's solid for the internet, it
    ought to be solid for LAN as well.

    Cheers,
    dan

    Dan Shea, Feb 26, 2004
  19. barry crowley

    LDR Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 18:48:38 GMT, LDR
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >In article <c1bcg1$7k5$>,
    > > says...
    > >> does anyone know how to set up a networking with a networking hub and 1

    > >Get a Linksys Wireless -g 2.4 gb router (about $60) and two wireless
    > >cards. This is the only way I know of that both computers can access the
    > >internet without two addresses.

    > You don't need wireless for this.

    Again, I'm no computer geek, which I mean in an admiring way, but this
    was not my experience. I found the wireless to be wonderfully reliable
    bringing in the net, but very unreliable skipping upstairs in my home. I
    hope you're right, Dan, because then the author of this tread can tie
    his computers together with just cables, and it should work. I hope he
    let's us know. (I only jumped in here because of people who instead of
    using email drag us along as an unwilling audience to their schoolboy
    howlers.)

    LDR, Feb 26, 2004
  20. barry crowley

    Dan Shea Guest

    On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 23:01:33 GMT, LDR
    <> wrote:

    <snip>
    >> You don't need wireless for this.

    >Again, I'm no computer geek, which I mean in an admiring way, but this
    >was not my experience. I found the wireless to be wonderfully reliable
    >bringing in the net, but very unreliable skipping upstairs in my home.

    I'll take your word for it. That's very curious. The wireless is
    strictly the physical medium over which the network traffic passes.
    It doesn't care whether the packets are destined for the internet or
    for another computer on the LAN; if the internet is OK on it, it
    should be good for LAN traffic too. (Slower than 100 Mb Ethernet, but
    good nonetheless.) Anyways, interesting. If you'd care to start a
    new thread about it, I'm sure we could get your wireless LAN issues
    resolved.... ;-)

    Cheers,
    dan

    Dan Shea, Feb 27, 2004