Networking 2 adjacent Windows computers - suggestions?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Bryan Souster, Nov 1, 2003.

  1. Greetings all,

    I have recently acquired a second machine so now she has hers and I have
    mine :cool:

    I am looking for simple ways to connect the machines to permit file, printer
    and possibly scanner sharing. One machine is XP home, the other ME. Both
    have built-in networking (an RJ45 socket on the mobo). The machines are in
    the same room and about 2 metres apart.

    All of the home networking stuff I have found refers to networking multiple
    machines in multiple rooms and sharing internet access (ICS). Each machine
    has its own modem and I am not looking to change this (I pay $15 per month
    for 150 hours and use about half this - upgrading to Jetstream is not on the
    horizon). With just 2 machines I don't see the need for a hub.

    Ideally all I want to do is physically connect the machines using a single
    cable with RJ45 plugs at each end (hubs seem overkill). Is this possible and
    if so what is the jargon used for such a cable? Any suggestions as to how
    to configure XP and ME to allow device sharing (I can connect the devices to
    either machine)? Any urls for describing such simple needs also welcomed.

    TIA,

    --
    Bryan Souster
    For acronyms (IIRC, TIA etc) visit www.acronymfinder.com for the meanings.
    Bryan Souster, Nov 1, 2003

  2. Bryan Souster

    Peter Guest

    Bryan Souster wrote:
    > Ideally all I want to do is physically connect the machines using a single
    > cable with RJ45 plugs at each end (hubs seem overkill). Is this possible
    > and if so what is the jargon used for such a cable?

    make sure you get a cable called crossover cable.
    A crossover is for connecting directly between 2 computers. Straight cables
    are for connecting a computer to a hub or switch.

    HTH

    Peter
    Peter, Nov 1, 2003

  3. Bryan Souster

    Worm Guest

    "Bryan Souster" <> wrote in message
    > I am looking for simple ways to connect the machines to permit file,

    printer
    > and possibly scanner sharing. One machine is XP home, the other ME. Both
    > have built-in networking (an RJ45 socket on the mobo). The machines are

    in
    > the same room and about 2 metres apart.

    A "crossover" cable betwen em. XP is pretty good at setting itself up with
    respect to networks, so if you're lucky just plug them in and off you go :)

    Worm
    Worm, Nov 1, 2003
  4. Bryan Souster

    Stuart Guest

    "Worm" <> wrote in message
    > A "crossover" cable betwen em. XP is pretty good at setting itself up

    with
    > respect to networks, so if you're lucky just plug them in and off you go

    :)

    Just make sure they have the same workgroup name, otherwise you'll find they
    don't wanna play at all.

    Stuart
    Stuart, Nov 1, 2003
  5. Bryan Souster

    Gurble Guest

    On Sat, 1 Nov 2003 16:04:27 +1300, "Bryan Souster"
    <> wrote:

    >Greetings all,
    >
    >I have recently acquired a second machine so now she has hers and I have
    >mine :cool:
    >
    >I am looking for simple ways to connect the machines to permit file, printer
    >and possibly scanner sharing. One machine is XP home, the other ME. Both
    >have built-in networking (an RJ45 socket on the mobo). The machines are in
    >the same room and about 2 metres apart.
    >
    >All of the home networking stuff I have found refers to networking multiple
    >machines in multiple rooms and sharing internet access (ICS). Each machine
    >has its own modem and I am not looking to change this (I pay $15 per month
    >for 150 hours and use about half this - upgrading to Jetstream is not on the
    >horizon). With just 2 machines I don't see the need for a hub.
    >
    >Ideally all I want to do is physically connect the machines using a single
    >cable with RJ45 plugs at each end (hubs seem overkill). Is this possible and
    >if so what is the jargon used for such a cable? Any suggestions as to how
    >to configure XP and ME to allow device sharing (I can connect the devices to
    >either machine)? Any urls for describing such simple needs also welcomed.
    >
    >TIA,

    Use a "Crossover Cable". This will simply plug from one machine to the
    other. eg:
    http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/en/product/XH3296
    (although you can get them from places like www.prosouth.co.nz for
    half DSE's price)

    It's called a Crossover Cable, as it simply "crosses over" the send to
    receive wires and the receive to send wires, thus being ideal for two
    machines.

    In regards to setting up the network (ie the software side of things),
    the theory is exactly the same with 2 machines as with 20 machines, so
    Google should help you out, or try PC World's article at
    http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article/0,aid,102461,00.asp

    You want to set up a workgroup, (otherwise known as a peer-to-peer)
    network, rather than a domain- (or server-) based network.

    Quick gotchas: Make sure the network connection is enabled on both
    machines, and that the built-in firewall is disabled for the Network
    Connection on the XP machine (oddly, sometimes this is enabled by
    default).
    Gurble, Nov 1, 2003
  6. In article <>, lid says...
    > Greetings all,
    >
    > I have recently acquired a second machine so now she has hers and I have
    > mine :cool:
    >
    > I am looking for simple ways to connect the machines to permit file, printer
    > and possibly scanner sharing. One machine is XP home, the other ME. Both
    > have built-in networking (an RJ45 socket on the mobo). The machines are in
    > the same room and about 2 metres apart.
    >
    > All of the home networking stuff I have found refers to networking multiple
    > machines in multiple rooms and sharing internet access (ICS). Each machine
    > has its own modem and I am not looking to change this (I pay $15 per month
    > for 150 hours and use about half this - upgrading to Jetstream is not on the
    > horizon). With just 2 machines I don't see the need for a hub.
    >
    > Ideally all I want to do is physically connect the machines using a single
    > cable with RJ45 plugs at each end (hubs seem overkill). Is this possible and
    > if so what is the jargon used for such a cable? Any suggestions as to how
    > to configure XP and ME to allow device sharing (I can connect the devices to
    > either machine)? Any urls for describing such simple needs also welcomed.

    www.helmig.com has extensive tutorials on how to set up the different
    windows for networking, often including graphics and pictures to
    illustrate a point. Actually what is probably the easiest is if you plug
    in the rj45 crossover cable, tell XP to install networking, then tell XP
    to make a network setup floppy, slip that into the ME machine, let it do
    its thing and hope for the best.
    Helmig.com is for when that doesn't work :)

    B.t.w. you will have little luck with scanner sharing at this point in
    time; although I believe people are working on scanner sharing software
    (which you probably won't get free).

    Also, some HP printer drivers are not set up for sharing (why???!!). You
    may have to use MS drivers or different HP drivers on the remote machine.
    (Just something to be aware of if it doesn't work properly - the HP
    website knowledge base can actually spit out useful info about that).

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Nov 1, 2003
  7. Bryan Souster

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <>, lid says...
    > Greetings all,
    >
    > I have recently acquired a second machine so now she has hers and I have
    > mine :cool:
    >
    > I am looking for simple ways to connect the machines to permit file, printer
    > and possibly scanner sharing. One machine is XP home, the other ME. Both
    > have built-in networking (an RJ45 socket on the mobo). The machines are in
    > the same room and about 2 metres apart.

    Crossover cable.

    Scanner sharing requires some kind of software. There are network
    scanners, that come with their own software support, as far as I know
    Windows does not explicitly support scanner sharing.
    Mainlander, Nov 3, 2003