Networked Video Capture

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by EAgle, Nov 21, 2003.

  1. EAgle

    EAgle Guest

    Hi all,
    Not sure if the subject line is accurate in terms of what I want to do but
    here goes.

    I have 2 machine, one an old Pentium III 650 with a video capture card, the
    second is a high end P4 Laptop. I want to convert from VHS videos to either
    DivX or Mpeg 2 (or any other format that I decide on later on) the problem
    is the Desktop is too slow to perform the compression in real-time it ends
    up dropping a lot of frames. It can however capture uncompressed avi's
    without loosing any frames. What I hope to do is let the desktop capture
    video in real-time uncompressed AVI and somehow stream these frame by frame
    to the laptop which is fast enought to do the compressesion on the fly. this
    will save me having to buy a huge harddrive for the desktop to save all the
    uncompressed avi files.
    Is there any client-server software out there that allows this? (I hope I've
    made the requirement clear) or is there a way to 'share' the capture device
    on the Desktop and use it on the laptop?

    Thanks for any help
    EAgle
    EAgle, Nov 21, 2003

  2. EAgle

    cowboyz Guest

    EAgle wrote:
    > Hi all,
    > Not sure if the subject line is accurate in terms of what I want to
    > do but here goes.
    >
    > I have 2 machine, one an old Pentium III 650 with a video capture
    > card, the second is a high end P4 Laptop. I want to convert from VHS
    > videos to either DivX or Mpeg 2 (or any other format that I decide on
    > later on) the problem is the Desktop is too slow to perform the
    > compression in real-time it ends up dropping a lot of frames. It can
    > however capture uncompressed avi's without loosing any frames. What I
    > hope to do is let the desktop capture video in real-time uncompressed
    > AVI and somehow stream these frame by frame to the laptop which is
    > fast enought to do the compressesion on the fly. this will save me
    > having to buy a huge harddrive for the desktop to save all the
    > uncompressed avi files.
    > Is there any client-server software out there that allows this? (I
    > hope I've made the requirement clear) or is there a way to 'share'
    > the capture device on the Desktop and use it on the laptop?
    >
    > Thanks for any help
    > EAgle

    The was a program mentioned earlier in the week called vidomi or something
    close to that that should do what you want.
    cowboyz, Nov 22, 2003

  3. EAgle

    EAgle Guest

    "cowboyz" <> wrote in message
    > EAgle wrote:
    > > Hi all,
    > > Not sure if the subject line is accurate in terms of what I want to
    > > do but here goes.
    > >
    > > I have 2 machine, one an old Pentium III 650 with a video capture
    > > card, the second is a high end P4 Laptop. I want to convert from VHS
    > > videos to either DivX or Mpeg 2 (or any other format that I decide on
    > > later on) the problem is the Desktop is too slow to perform the
    > > compression in real-time it ends up dropping a lot of frames. It can
    > > however capture uncompressed avi's without loosing any frames. What I
    > > hope to do is let the desktop capture video in real-time uncompressed
    > > AVI and somehow stream these frame by frame to the laptop which is
    > > fast enought to do the compressesion on the fly. this will save me
    > > having to buy a huge harddrive for the desktop to save all the
    > > uncompressed avi files.
    > > Is there any client-server software out there that allows this? (I
    > > hope I've made the requirement clear) or is there a way to 'share'
    > > the capture device on the Desktop and use it on the laptop?
    > >
    > > Thanks for any help
    > > EAgle

    > The was a program mentioned earlier in the week called vidomi or something
    > close to that that should do what you want.

    Vidomi allows network encoding yes, but in my case I want to be able to do
    this directly from the capture card without first writting to a file. This
    is the main problem.
    EAgle, Nov 22, 2003
  4. EAgle

    Gordon Guest

    On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 12:45:35 +1300, EAgle wrote:

    > What I hope to do is let the desktop capture
    > video in real-time uncompressed AVI and somehow stream these frame by frame
    > to the laptop which is fast enought to do the compressesion on the fly. this
    > will save me having to buy a huge harddrive for the desktop to save all the
    > uncompressed avi files.

    WAIT, hang on in there. HDs capacity is increasing by the accounts/bean
    counters day :)

    Gordon, Nov 22, 2003
  5. EAgle

    EAgle Guest

    "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 12:45:35 +1300, EAgle wrote:
    >
    > > What I hope to do is let the desktop capture
    > > video in real-time uncompressed AVI and somehow stream these frame by

    frame
    > > to the laptop which is fast enought to do the compressesion on the fly.

    this
    > > will save me having to buy a huge harddrive for the desktop to save all

    the
    > > uncompressed avi files.

    > WAIT, hang on in there. HDs capacity is increasing by the accounts/bean
    > counters day :)
    >

    > --
    > Fairy stories exist so children get used to real life

    True, But its already for 120Gb on it and its almost full. I'm sure what I
    want to do can be done, someone must have thought about this before?
    EAgle, Nov 22, 2003
  6. EAgle

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "EAgle" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    > Not sure if the subject line is accurate in terms of what I want to do but
    > here goes.
    >
    > I have 2 machine, one an old Pentium III 650 with a video capture card,

    the
    > second is a high end P4 Laptop. I want to convert from VHS videos to

    either
    > DivX or Mpeg 2 (or any other format that I decide on later on) the problem
    > is the Desktop is too slow to perform the compression in real-time it ends
    > up dropping a lot of frames. It can however capture uncompressed avi's
    > without loosing any frames. What I hope to do is let the desktop capture
    > video in real-time uncompressed AVI and somehow stream these frame by

    frame
    > to the laptop which is fast enought to do the compressesion on the fly.

    this
    > will save me having to buy a huge harddrive for the desktop to save all

    the
    > uncompressed avi files.
    > Is there any client-server software out there that allows this? (I hope

    I've
    > made the requirement clear) or is there a way to 'share' the capture

    device
    > on the Desktop and use it on the laptop?
    >
    > Thanks for any help
    > EAgle

    It could be dropping a lot of frames because of your settings - apart from
    being down a bit on grunt. If you want to drop plenty of frames set the
    frame rate good and high, and compress the sound. Your PC will be that
    busy trying to compress the sound and deliver a higher frame rate that's
    needed your video will look like crap.

    DivX gives good results, set the frame rate at 25, and don't compress the
    sound (just use a sound setting that's not too gutsy if you want to keep the
    file size down a bit. The screen size of the video will make a difference
    to the results as well.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Nov 22, 2003