    and the files also reside only on one.
    Exactly how would one go about doing this so that other programs and
    files are not shared?
    Robert Baer, Dec 3, 2006

  2. Robert Baer

    Mr. Arnold6 Guest

    Robert Baer wrote:
    > Say one has eight WinXP computers connected on the same network, and
    > you want "very speedy number one" to act as a server for the other
    > seven, for specific programs and files.
    > In that manner, the programs do not have to be installed on all eight
    > and the files also reside only on one.
    > Exactly how would one go about doing this so that other programs and
    > files are not shared?

    Well, the first thing I think you'll face is a concurrency connection
    issue with the XP machine. For Pro it's 10 an for Home it's 5.

    The one thing you might be able to do is make the machine a Windows
    Terminal Server. Each user running a Window Terminal Session can login
    to the Windows Terminal Server and access it in their own session as if
    the user has their own Windows Desktop from their remote machine, which
    allows the sharing of the resources on the Windows Terminal Server.

    You'll control and setup the desktop of the Windows Terminal Server,
    just like you would do anything else on a NT based O/S as to what the
    non Admin user will see and be able to access when the user logs on to
    the Terminal Server. You'll have to check the number of user that can be
    logged on at one time on the Windows Terminal Server, licensing.
    Mr. Arnold6, Dec 3, 2006

  3. Robert Baer

    Robert Baer Guest

    Mr. Arnold6 wrote:

    > Robert Baer wrote:
    >
    >> Say one has eight WinXP computers connected on the same network, and
    >> you want "very speedy number one" to act as a server for the other
    >> seven, for specific programs and files.
    >> In that manner, the programs do not have to be installed on all
    >> eight and the files also reside only on one.
    >> Exactly how would one go about doing this so that other programs and
    >> files are not shared?

    > Well, the first thing I think you'll face is a concurrency connection
    > issue with the XP machine. For Pro it's 10 an for Home it's 5.
    >
    > The one thing you might be able to do is make the machine a Windows
    > Terminal Server. Each user running a Window Terminal Session can login
    > to the Windows Terminal Server and access it in their own session as if
    > the user has their own Windows Desktop from their remote machine, which
    > allows the sharing of the resources on the Windows Terminal Server.
    >
    > You'll control and setup the desktop of the Windows Terminal Server,
    > just like you would do anything else on a NT based O/S as to what the
    > non Admin user will see and be able to access when the user logs on to
    > the Terminal Server. You'll have to check the number of user that can be
    > logged on at one time on the Windows Terminal Server, licensing.

    Thanks.
    Robert Baer, Dec 4, 2006