    Any other recommendations would be welcome.

    Thanks in advance,

    Ross

    WW, Jan 26, 2006

  2. WW

    J. Clarke Guest

    WW wrote:

    > Can anybody please recommend any good books for Network+ study.
    >
    > I have heard of Exam Cram 2, and All-in-One by Meyers. Are these good
    > books ?

    If you really need to study to pass the A+ you should spend more time
    dinking with computers.

    The main utility of ExamCram 2 is as a reality check--if two chapters into
    it you're laughing at how much is just plain _wrong_ and a third of the way
    through you ask yourself why you're wasting time on it and throw it in the
    trash then you're ready.

    Meyers I haven't looked at--enough people swear by it that if you have to
    have a study guide it would probably be the way to go.
    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate

    J. Clarke, Jan 26, 2006

  3. WW

    WW Guest

    Dabbling with computers is the fun part. Reading study guides is really not
    much fun, but if it helps to pass the exams then it has to be done. I have
    no clue how hard or easy these exams are or even what the pass marks are, as
    they don't tell you! When learning about PC maintenance I read Scott
    Mueller's book, and found this to be very educational, and a good read. But
    you're right, the number of mistakes in these "Study Guides", and also some
    of the practice tests available on the internet, is quite scary.

    WW, Jan 27, 2006
  4. WW

    PM Guest

    J. Clarke wrote:
    > WW wrote:
    >

    >>Can anybody please recommend any good books for Network+ study.
    >>
    >>I have heard of Exam Cram 2, and All-in-One by Meyers. Are these good
    >>books ?

    > If you really need to study to pass the A+ you should spend more time
    > dinking with computers.

    The problem is that the A+ often asks out-of-the-way questions related
    to CPU package types, # of pins on certain connectors, and reserved I/O
    and Interupt hex values...Memorizing this stuff really has little use in
    the real world, especially with how fast technology changes. If I need
    to know what type of RAM to buy for a certain system or what CPUs are
    supported by a certain motherboard, I'm not going to go off a chart I
    memorized...I'm going to do the appropriate research. But for the A+,
    you almost have to memorize some of these things.

    I think the A+ has started to get away from these, but there were still
    a few questions like this when I took it about a year and a half ago.
    For the software portion, dinking around is probably sufficient. But
    the hardware will possibly require some study.

    PM, Jan 27, 2006
  5. WW

    slaps Guest

    That what scares me...I've been studying, working and"dinking" for
    quite a while now, and with my test looming over my head next week, I'm
    only now seeing that I know very little about the topics that are
    purported to be covered by the test. I'm really confused, actually.
    Half the posts here concerning the a-plus cert talk about how easy it
    is, the other half go on about how obscure the info is, "out-of-the-way
    questions" and such. I've gone from a wary semi-confidence to
    full-blown panic. Should I be...panicked, that is?

    slaps, Feb 6, 2006
  6. WW

    WW Guest

    I think the pass mark is somewhere in the 60-70% range, and I think
    recommendations that you are scoring 85% and above in practice tests is
    over-stated. I think you can pass if you've spent a lot of time working with
    PC's and reviewed one of the main A+ Study Guides to confirm whats actually
    in the exam, and that you know most of it.

    I found coreexams.com tests were quite close to the real OS test (which I
    have sat and passed - still to sit CoreHW next week), though there are a
    number of errors in them. For CoreHW I have completed all Exam Cram practice
    tests and I think that is enough.

    Good luck with exam!!

    WW, Feb 7, 2006
  7. WW

    John O Guest

    > That what scares me...I've been studying, working and"dinking" for
    > quite a while now, and with my test looming over my head next week, I'm
    > only now seeing that I know very little about the topics that are
    > purported to be covered by the test. I'm really confused, actually.
    > Half the posts here concerning the a-plus cert talk about how easy it
    > is, the other half go on about how obscure the info is, "out-of-the-way
    > questions" and such. I've gone from a wary semi-confidence to
    > full-blown panic. Should I be...panicked, that is?

    Not at all.

    When you sit down, go through all the questions, focus on the ones you
    know....and get those right. Don't answer questions you don't know...yet.
    Leave them blank. Mark the questions you think you might know.

    Then, work out some of the ones you're not sure of, the marked
    ones...eliminate obvious wrong answers, and you should end up with a choice
    between two...and 50:50 is pretty good. Save the crazy questions for
    last...don't waste a lot of time on them, but eliminate obvious wrong
    answers and make a best guess from what remains. If you can knock the odds
    down to 1-of-3 or 1-of-2, you have a very good chance.

    The exam is a crapshoot right now, a mix of impossible and stupid-simple.
    With a good strategy and the experience and study you mentioned, you should
    be fine. Relax. You only need about 50 right answers.

    -John O

    John O, Feb 8, 2006
  8. WW

    Linda Guest

    On 06/02/06, slaps wrote:

    > That what scares me...I've been studying, working and"dinking" for
    > quite a while now, and with my test looming over my head next week, I'm
    > only now seeing that I know very little about the topics that are
    > purported to be covered by the test. I'm really confused, actually.
    > Half the posts here concerning the a-plus cert talk about how easy it
    > is, the other half go on about how obscure the info is, "out-of-the-way
    > questions" and such. I've gone from a wary semi-confidence to
    > full-blown panic. Should I be...panicked, that is?

    I felt exactly that way this time last week (took my exam last Wednesday
    and passed!) but I'd go with what John O says.

    Go over as many past test questions as you can... they won't be the same
    but they give you a good feel for what the actual exam is like.

    On the day, work through steadily (you get 90mins, plenty of time) and mark
    for review any questions you aren't immediately sure of. Then go through
    again... you'll probably feel a bit more confident having hopefully
    answered the majority already. Read the questions properly and look at each
    choice of answer very carefully, I found that suddenly one or two could be
    discounted almost right away and when its a choice between just two, its
    easier to think to yourself, "Which seems more likely?"
    Don't read more into the question than there is... sometimes the wording
    makes you think it is more complicated than it is!

    Best of luck, hopefully you won't find it nearly as bad as you're dreading!
    Let us know how you get on :)

    Linda, Feb 8, 2006
  9. WW

    Patty Guest

    On 6 Feb 2006 11:19:14 -0800, slaps wrote:

    > That what scares me...I've been studying, working and"dinking" for
    > quite a while now, and with my test looming over my head next week, I'm
    > only now seeing that I know very little about the topics that are
    > purported to be covered by the test. I'm really confused, actually.
    > Half the posts here concerning the a-plus cert talk about how easy it
    > is, the other half go on about how obscure the info is, "out-of-the-way
    > questions" and such. I've gone from a wary semi-confidence to
    > full-blown panic. Should I be...panicked, that is?

    One other thing I have found while taking the practice tests (I've not
    scheduled my actual test yet) is that my first hunch on an answer is always
    right. If I think about it and change my answer, then I end up wrong.

    Patty

    Patty, Feb 9, 2006
  10. WW

    slaps Guest

    Ironically, I passed the hardware easily, but narrowly missed the
    software. The OS test I took asked a lot of questions about Win 2k, the
    one OS that I don't have access to. Figures. I took them one right
    after the other, and the hardware first, so I think I might have
    actually gotten a bit cocky and reckless. Anywho, I'm considering
    starting my study on Network+ while I'm studying my OS retake.
    And now that I think of it, should I even bother going back? I
    mainly studied the A+ to get started on Network+. But does Network+
    really build on A+, or is it more self-reliant? Do I REALLY need a
    solid understanding of MS OSes in order to understand Network+ concepts?

    slaps, Feb 20, 2006