    on home pc.
    Thanks in Advance
    Foglerman
    Fogler, Sep 14, 2003

  2. Fogler

    Miggsee Guest

    How is the cable hooked up to the desktop? USB?
    Install a card, buy a cable, and get a router.

    "Fogler" <> wrote in message
    > Hi guys, can you tell me exactly what I need to network a laptop to my

    home
    > PC,
    > the laptop has a 10/100 network card installed but my home pc doesn't and

    > have no cabling !
    > Also will I be able to access the internet on the laptop via my cable

    modem

    Miggsee, Sep 14, 2003

  3. Fogler

    Fogler Guest

    USB connector, what type of router should I get ?

    Fogler, Sep 14, 2003
  4. Fogler

    trotsky Guest

    "Fogler" <> wrote in message
    > Hi guys, can you tell me exactly what I need to network a laptop to my

    home
    > PC,
    > the laptop has a 10/100 network card installed but my home pc doesn't and

    > have no cabling !
    > Also will I be able to access the internet on the laptop via my cable

    modem
    > I have installed
    > on home pc.
    > Thanks in Advance
    > Foglerman

    Get an ethernet cablemodem, router and hub. Install a network card in the pc
    and connect both pc and laptop directly to the hub over utp-cabling.
    / pc
    modem -> router -> hub {
    \ laptop

    or make your pc function as a server for the laptop, for this you will need
    to install 2 network cards. Not sure if you can do this with a
    USB-modem-router-hub.

    modem -> router -> hub -> (incoming NIC)pc(outgoing NIC) -> laptop

    LT
    trotsky, Sep 14, 2003
  5. Fogler

    Miggsee Guest

    I'm satisfied with my Linksys BEFSX41.
    http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=23&prid=433 or
    http://tinyurl.com/nc83 Cnet.com shopping

    Also, loads of help here:
    www.practicallynetworked.com

    Miggsee, Sep 14, 2003
  6. Fogler

    Fogler Guest

    Thanks for the info guys

    Fogler, Sep 14, 2003
  7. Fogler

    Miggsee Guest

    > "Fogler" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi guys, can you tell me exactly what I need to network a laptop to my

    > home
    > > PC,
    > > the laptop has a 10/100 network card installed but my home pc doesn't

    and
    > > have no cabling !
    > > Also will I be able to access the internet on the laptop via my cable

    > modem
    > > I have installed
    > > on home pc.
    > > Thanks in Advance
    > > Foglerman
    > >

    > Get an ethernet cablemodem, router and hub. Install a network card in the

    pc
    > and connect both pc and laptop directly to the hub over utp-cabling.
    > / pc
    > modem -> router -> hub {
    > \ laptop
    >
    > or make your pc function as a server for the laptop, for this you will

    need
    > to install 2 network cards. Not sure if you can do this with a
    > USB-modem-router-hub.
    >
    > modem -> router -> hub -> (incoming NIC)pc(outgoing NIC) -> laptop

    The laptop has a card, so he would just need to get a nic card, cat5 or 6
    cabling, and a router (depending on what modem he is using). Why do you
    suggest a hub? I've got 4 pcs networked without a hub.
    Miggsee, Sep 14, 2003
  8. Fogler

    trotsky Guest

    > The laptop has a card, so he would just need to get a nic card, cat5 or 6
    > cabling, and a router (depending on what modem he is using). Why do you
    > suggest a hub? I've got 4 pcs networked without a hub.

    There are several modems that can function as a DHCP server, yet have only
    one utp-out, so you need a hub to get more pc's connected, or take the
    server option.
    trotsky, Sep 14, 2003
  9. Fogler

    Miggsee Guest

    > > The laptop has a card, so he would just need to get a nic card, cat5 or

    6
    > > cabling, and a router (depending on what modem he is using). Why do you
    > > suggest a hub? I've got 4 pcs networked without a hub.
    > >

    > There are several modems that can function as a DHCP server, yet have only
    > one utp-out, so you need a hub to get more pc's connected, or take the
    > server option.

    Thanks for explaining.
    Miggsee, Sep 14, 2003