    Trusted Zones. What next? Is the Registry "cooked" or missing something?
    Would a (original software install O.S.) XP Pro CD Repair of O.S. be the
    ticket to registry repair?

    =?Utf-8?B?VGhvbSBCYWlsZXk=?=, Apr 25, 2007

  2. Hi
    Try to get rid of ZA and see if it starts working again.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Apr 25, 2007

  3. =?Utf-8?B?VGhvbSBCYWlsZXk=?=

    Jim Guest

    >I have been working at getting 2 computers to share files and printers now
    > for two weeks. Funny thing is that I had the 2 comp. shared succesfully
    > for 5
    > weeks prior and everything just stopped showing up in network conn.. Yes I
    > have gone through the Checklist for preparing a home/office network
    > connection and I can't "see" my other comp. showing in the network
    > connetions
    > window. I can't get my printer to share. I have two XP Pro comp. ethernet
    > cabled to a Linksys router. I have allowed IP Addresses in my Zone Alarm
    > Free
    > Trusted Zones. What next? Is the Registry "cooked" or missing something?
    > Would a (original software install O.S.) XP Pro CD Repair of O.S. be the
    > ticket to registry repair?

    No. Also, since my network runs fine with ZA enabled, I can't agree that
    getting rid of ZA is much of a solution.

    Can you ping each computer from the other one? If not, you may not have ZA
    configured correctly. Note that
    the Network Setup Wizard configures the Windows firewall for file and
    printer sharing, but it may not do the same
    to ZA.

    Jim

    Jim, Apr 25, 2007
  4. Jack removed and restarted comp., but still can't see the other computer in
    My Net.
    Ditto for trying to see or find the shared printer.

    =?Utf-8?B?VGhvbSBCYWlsZXk=?=, Apr 26, 2007
  5. Jim, i read about how to set allowed or privilaged connections and got the
    correct IP Addresses for each computer, but still no luck. I don't see the
    other comp. in My Network Places.

    =?Utf-8?B?VGhvbSBCYWlsZXk=?=, Apr 26, 2007
  6. =?Utf-8?B?VGhvbSBCYWlsZXk=?=

    Jim Guest

    > Jim, i read about how to set allowed or privilaged connections and got the
    > correct IP Addresses for each computer, but still no luck. I don't see the
    > other comp. in My Network Places.

    I'll bet you cannot ping one computer from the other either. Blocking of
    ICMP packets is the principal reason behing ping failures.

    I believe that whatever program maintains My Network Places does so by
    pinging
    all possilble address in the local lan. It only lists those which reply.
    Thus, what
    you see is a clear indication of the root cause of your problem.

    Jim

    Jim, Apr 26, 2007
  7. Hi
    Make sure that no processes running left behind ZA (it can happen even if
    you uninstall the application).
    May be this can further Help.
    settings,http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html As well as specific adjustment of
    each computer according to what it is allowed to be shared.
    Vista File and Printer Sharing-
    Basic XP -
    Printer Sharing XP -
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Apr 26, 2007
  8. I can ping each comp. from the other with 4 pkts. sent; 4 pkts. received; 0%
    lost.
    Howerver I also notice that I can access ipconfig from Run command line, I
    must go to assessories>command prompt.

    =?Utf-8?B?VGhvbSBCYWlsZXk=?=, Apr 26, 2007
  9. =?Utf-8?B?VGhvbSBCYWlsZXk=?=

    Jim Guest

    >I can ping each comp. from the other with 4 pkts. sent; 4 pkts. received;
    >0%
    > lost.
    > Howerver I also notice that I can access ipconfig from Run command line, I
    > must go to assessories>command prompt.

    If you use the Run command from the Start button, then you must first enter
    "cmd". Otherwise, ipconfig (and quite a few others) does not get a display
    window that persists.
    Your experience is the expected behavior.

    Being able to ping indicates to me that you do not have a firewall problem.

    I had to resort to using the "net" command to setup my network. You first
    end "cmd" into the Run box. Then, you can use "net" to investigate your
    network. For example:

    net view - shows all computers that yours can see
    net share - shows/sets up shares on this computer
    net use - shows/sets us mapping on this computer
    (among many others, get help by entering net ? for example)

    It appears to me that the instructions in Help & Support have not been
    updated to SP2 level.

    By the way, are you using Guest authentication or Classic authentication?
    If you are using the former, the Guest account must not be disabled. If you
    are using the latter, the it is best to have identical accounts with
    identical passwords on all computers.

    These subjects and many more are discussed lots of place including Pchuck's
    web site. MVP Jack has also pointed you to a helpful web site.

    Perhaps somebody could help if you entered the results from ipconfig/all,
    net view, net share, and net use on each of your computers. Without such
    information, we are all just guessing.
    Jim

    Jim, Apr 26, 2007