    this; I just wonder if there may be a simple solution. (Since I can easily
    connect both ways with Win XP and Win 7 with Linux, I assume something must
    be changed in Win 7)
    VE2, Sep 29, 2009

  2. VE2 wrote:
    > Hello
    > I have two computers on a home network, one has Windows XP x86 multi-
    > booted with Windows 7 RTM x64, the other has Linux 64 bit (Ubuntu 9.02)
    >
    > I am trying to set up folder sharing. So far I can:
    >
    > Using Win XP: access Linux folders on Win XP and Win XP folders on Linux.
    > Using Win 7: access Linux folders on Windows 7.
    >
    > I cannot access Windows 7 folders on Linux. I looked at everything
    > I could think of, turned off Windows firewall etc. Linux keeps asking
    > for a password but it seems not to be accepted by Win 7. I can easily
    > live with this; I just wonder if there may be a simple solution. (Since
    > I can easily connect both ways with Win XP and Win 7 with Linux, I
    > assume something must be changed in Win 7)

    Have you checked your permissions on the Windows 7 side of things?
    Robert Wolfe [MCP], Sep 29, 2009

  3. VE2

    VE2 Guest

    Linux keeps asking for a password. I enter a valid password
    but its not accepted. I have tried many variations of user/password
    but nothing works.
    I can read/write Linux folders from Windows 7, so I can workaround
    the problem...just curious as to what could be wrong.

    VE2, Sep 29, 2009
  4. VE2

    VE2 Guest

    Permissions all seem valid; I tried many variations of user/password
    with the same result: Linux keeps asking for a password. I believe
    the problem is some setting on Windows 7.

    VE2, Sep 29, 2009
  5. VE2

    VE2 Guest

    Yes, I tried using no password.
    My Unix is rusty, but using Gnome I tried to access the share
    via Places->Network or Places->Connect to Server; they both
    result in the same dialog which says a password is required.
    Using System->Network Tools I can ping windows 7, but only
    using the IP address, not the computer name.

    VE2, Sep 30, 2009
  6. VE2

    VE2 Guest

    Still no luck ("No such device or address")
    It seems that Linux just does not find win 7.
    (Not the case with win xp, works ok)

    VE2, Sep 30, 2009
  7. VE2

    VE2 Guest

    Actually, I like Windows 7!
    As long as Windows 7 can access Linux folders, then I can
    move files across, even if Linux does not recognize Win 7.
    It must be some kind of extra Win 7 security thing, though
    I don't know what . I will continue to test and will post here
    if I find a solution.
    Thanks for the help!

    VE2, Sep 30, 2009